Elsa and Anna a bad thing?

wdrive

Actually, something good might come out of the 3 to 4 hour wait times to see these characters. Like, Disney might finally limit character meets to children and not some adult who tries to have a conversation with an imaginary figure.

Will never ever happen. From a character's viewpoint adults can be more interesting than the kids sometimes.

SeanWM48

to be honest i don't understand it...MK is a big money day and to spend a huge chunk of it waiting for a photo opportunity isn't worth it one bit (to me)....granted i don't have kids or little brothers/sisters so i guess i don't "get it" i just think your time is too valuable on a day like that....loved the movie too by the way

friendofafriend

to be honest i don't understand it...MK is a big money day and to spend a huge chunk of it waiting for a photo opportunity isn't worth it one bit (to me)....granted i don't have kids or little brothers/sisters so i guess i don't "get it" i just think your time is too valuable on a day like that....loved the movie too by the way

I'm quoting you because you illustrate a point that annoys me about the current mindset in entertainment management at WDW, I'm not picking on you I promise!

The meet and greet experience is supposed to be just that an EXPERIENCE. Its NOT supposed to be about just standing there and smiling with the characters. I would often wonder why so many of the guests were even there to meet the characters when all they wanted was a photo and weren't interested in interacting at all. You're taking a photo to commemorate what exactly? Standing there? The characters now are put under such pressure to hit their "numbers" that the experience is being watered down even more. I was always of the mindset that if a guest waited for a character for 45 minutes then they deserved an experience that was worth that wait. Unfortunately management doesn't agree with that and now all you get is a pleasant hello and a photo of an experience that didn't really amount to much because "guests don't want to wait in line". Did you know that the characters are timed by management in a number of locations (fairy tale hall being one of them) and they aren't supposed to spend more than 30 seconds with your family after you've waited for an hour? Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest! Thanks to all the current entertainment cast who work so hard for so little thanks!

Scott10

I'm quoting you because you illustrate a point that annoys me about the current mindset in entertainment management at WDW, I'm not picking on you I promise!

The meet and greet experience is supposed to be just that an EXPERIENCE. Its NOT supposed to be about just standing there and smiling with the characters. I would often wonder why so many of the guests were even there to meet the characters when all they wanted was a photo and weren't interested in interacting at all. You're taking a photo to commemorate what exactly? Standing there? The characters now are put under such pressure to hit their "numbers" that the experience is being watered down even more. I was always of the mindset that if a guest waited for a character for 45 minutes then they deserved an experience that was worth that wait. Unfortunately management doesn't agree with that and now all you get is a pleasant hello and a photo of an experience that didn't really amount to much because "guests don't want to wait in line". Did you know that the characters are timed by management in a number of locations (fairy tale hall being one of them) and they aren't supposed to spend more than 30 seconds with your family after you've waited for an hour? Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest! Thanks to all the current entertainment cast who work so hard for so little thanks!

This post hits the nail on the head for those of us who have small children (girls especially). My oldest daughter who is now going to be a freshman in high school has grown up loving the character meet and greets. Some of our fondest memories and best video of her at Disney have occurred meeting her favorite characters. Our youngest daughter, who is now 5 years old, enjoys the characters, but not nearly to the extent of our oldest. I know that they are very different personality types, but as a parent, I can see the interaction of the characters deteriorating and leading more kids to be like our younger child and look more for ride opportunities as opposed to a wait to get a photo opp.

Matt_Black

This post hits the nail on the head for those of us who have small children (girls especially). My oldest daughter who is now going to be a freshman in high school has grown up loving the character meet and greets. Some of our fondest memories and best video of her at Disney have occurred meeting her favorite characters. Our youngest daughter, who is now 5 years old, enjoys the characters, but not nearly to the extent of our oldest. I know that they are very different personality types, but as a parent, I can see the interaction of the characters deteriorating and leading more kids to be like our younger child and look more for ride opportunities as opposed to a wait to get a photo opp.

The majority of character experiences I've had in the past two years have all been fantastic.

Scott10

The majority of character experiences I've had in the past two years have all been fantastic.
Many are still quite good, but extremely short in comparison to our trips from years ago. We had a stretch from 2003-2012 where we went to Disney every year before taking a year off and returning just 2 weeks ago. All I am saying is that you can certainly see a difference in the duration of the experiences and the sincerity of the characters. My wife and I try to stay completely fair in our evaluations of all things Disney as we know the demand is ever growing and many people's expectations will never be met. However, we actually had an "experience" when the Fairy Godmother didn't say one word (seriously, not a single word) to our daughter.....she took her autograph book, signed, turned toward the camera for the picture and then motioned for the next child! I have it on video and we actually laugh about it now when we watch, but our daughter still doesn't find it very funny!

Matt_Black

Many are still quite good, but extremely short in comparison to our trips from years ago. We had a stretch from 2003-2012 where we went to Disney every year before taking a year off and returning just 2 weeks ago. All I am saying is that you can certainly see a difference in the duration of the experiences and the sincerity of the characters. My wife and I try to stay completely fair in our evaluations of all things Disney as we know the demand is ever growing and many people's expectations will never be met. However, we actually had an "experience" when the Fairy Godmother didn't say one word (seriously, not a single word) to our daughter.....she took her autograph book, signed, turned toward the camera for the picture and then motioned for the next child! I have it on video and we actually laugh about it now when we watch, but our daughter still doesn't find it very funny!

That's unfortunate to hear, but I haven't had those sorts of experiences. I've never felt rushed when meeting a character. If anything, I'm often the one to try and hurry things along because I appreciate the fact that there are people behind. Even then, sometimes conversation just keeps going (Rapunzel will talk your ear off if you give her a good hook :D). Granted, in the 2012 trip, most of the meets I got were at 1900 Park Fair, and character meals it's basically up to the individual character's discretion. In 2013, I went in October, with much lower crowd levels than what you probably experienced two weeks ago, thus the characters and handlers probably didn't feel as much pressure to make sure the lines were moving.

lunchbox1175

I don't feel like it is just and Anna and Elsa thing, it was that way when Rapunzel and Merida were introduced as well...maybe not to quite the same level of insanity, but I remember the wait times being in the 3 hour range and people running to the fairytale garden for each of them as well.

wdrive

I feel a lot of the character interaction died when the character's got set locations and times. I can sort of understand the reasons for it, but Disneyland still manages to have characters pop up randomly and even Mickey and the Princesses can appear on Main Street or the front gates, something some people claim would be impossible at WDW, and not get swamped despite Disneyland generally being more crowded. The best interaction you can get from a character IMO though is a wandering Alice, Mad Hatter or Peter Pan at Disneyland. Sadly though that is becoming rarer as they are now starting to stay in one spot.

Magenta Panther

MP, seriously...

Matt, seriously...you need to get a life. Or find someone else to stalk. Or something. You have a very narrow focus. I have stated several, no, many times, that I'm pleased with Frozen's phenomenal success. But if you think the current craziness over it is a long-time deal...then you really need to get out more.

But the fact that the fad will fade does not mean it'll be all over. Anna and Elsa will forever be Disney princesses, so they will always be in fashion. And that's a good thing.

tare

I think it's a huge mistake to wait and see them no matter where they are. It's insane the amount if people who waste their time on this. Eventually my daughter will get to see them either with a fast pass or a short wait if 20 minutes or less. If that doesn't happen oh well my daughter is fine with it. Even she understands the wait is a waste of fun disney time!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom