Electrical Light Parade Replacement?

imagineer boy

I feel parades and shows should be changed out every 5 years to keep them fresh for all types of visitors.

That would mean those that visit once every couple of years a chance to see it and those that visit every year don't get burnt out by same thing.

So if I was running things I would switch out the night parade now then in four years the new day parade is rolled out.

If they don't want to redo full parade due to cost then I would introduce new floats every year to keep it fresh for guest.

With a complete redo after 8 years.

I think it might be an interesting idea if maybe all the parks around the world had their own parades and every 3-5 years or so, "rotate" the parades between each of the resorts so the parade can be new for each of the locations and would save on each park having to come up with something totally different every year.

ToTBellHop

I think it might be an interesting idea if maybe all the parks around the world had their own parades and every 3-5 years or so, "rotate" the parades between each of the resorts so the parade can be new for each of the locations and would save on each park having to come up with something totally different every year.
It would be nice if they had that level of coordination and teamwork between the resorts, but they don't. That could and should have been a benefit of Disney Parks, but it hasn't happened.

imagineer boy

It would be nice if they had that level of coordination and teamwork between the resorts, but they don't. That could and should have been a benefit of Disney Parks, but it hasn't happened.

Very sad but true. I've always felt that each of the individual resort "teams" have too much power and creative sway (though the only place where this seems to have a positive effect is TDL). But they really should be more united and creative/financial decisions should come from higher up.

ToTBellHop

Very sad but true. I've always felt that each of the individual resort "teams" have too much power and creative sway (though the only place where this seems to have a positive effect is TDL). But they really should be more united and creative/financial decisions should come from higher up.
Agreed. It is absurd that DL and WDW would bicker over funding to transfer a parade from one to the other, but they would. Hell, individual parks at WDW would bicker with each other over the same thing. It shouldn't be an issue when the overall change would make money for the company. But there is no one high enough up to fix things who cares about things as simple as transferring parades around. The only possibility with the current set up is that we get our own copy (the third) of Paint the Night. And honestly, I'd be happy with that.

RmeDad

Keep MSEP and kick FROZEN out of ALL the parks!!!!!!! If MSEP is so hated, why did they have to make more room for viewers? If you are going to get rid of the OLD stuff, does that mean that Mickey goes too?

LL2WDW

Keep MSEP and kick FROZEN out of ALL the parks!!!!!!! If MSEP is so hated, why did they have to make more room for viewers? If you are going to get rid of the OLD stuff, does that mean that Mickey goes too?

They didn't expand the hub because MSEP was so popular, they expanded because the Magic Kingdom itself is that popular.

CDavid

Nobody said that the Main Street Electrical Parade was hated. On the contrary, it's positively beloved, even among those of us who might prefer SpectroMagic. What people have said is that the Electrical Parade is old, which indeed it is, and that it is well past time for a new and innovative parade.

The parade was hardly the primary impetus for the hub project. Nor should "old stuff" - SpectroMagic or the MSEP - be so casually scrapped and disposed of like yesterdays garbage. Certainly sometimes the old needs to make way for the new, but with greater respect for the park's legacy, and clearly only when you actually have something new and interesting and aren't just continuing the trend of entertainment and attraction cuts either without replacement (Wonders of Life, Innoventions West), or a substandard replacement (loss of Off-Kilter).

RmeDad

I guess it is because I am old that I love the MSEP. After hearing a live performance of the Baroque Hoedown by Michael Iceberg at a conference years ago, and viewing the MSEP for the 1st time at WDW in 1986, I have become attached to it. Every visit since our 1st reminds us of the days gone by when we hear the synthesizers. We are looking forward to our visit this May, probably our last. My wife and I would very much miss the MSEP. We are the "OLD STUFF".

imagineer boy

Agreed. It is absurd that DL and WDW would bicker over funding to transfer a parade from one to the other, but they would. Hell, individual parks at WDW would bicker with each other over the same thing. It shouldn't be an issue when the overall change would make money for the company. But there is no one high enough up to fix things who cares about things as simple as transferring parades around. The only possibility with the current set up is that we get our own copy (the third) of Paint the Night. And honestly, I'd be happy with that.

You'd think will all of the executive focus on the bottom line there would be more cooperation in something that could make you even more money.

GiveMeTheMusic

This was attempted already and it failed. Block Party Bash was the first; sent to WDW from DLR in 2008. Disney Stars and Motor Cars moved from WDW to DLRP. Parade of Dreams was to follow and move from DL to MK, but ultimately WDW didn't want to pay for the necessary infrastructure upgrades, which were put off until FOF was readied last year.

The other issue with doing this is that the parks have varying widths on their parade routes. Floats built for DL don't look good on MK's wider route, and floats built for MK/TDL can't be used at DL as they're too big.

I think they've ultimately decided parade sharing is more trouble than it's worth, but that also has to do with shoddy implementation. Parades are so inexpensive compared to attractions that there's really no excuse for not creating new ones on a regular basis.

imagineer boy

This was attempted already and it failed. Block Party Bash was the first; sent to WDW from DLR in 2008. Disney Stars and Motor Cars moved from WDW to DLRP. Parade of Dreams was to follow and move from DL to MK, but ultimately WDW didn't want to pay for the necessary infrastructure upgrades, which were put off until FOF was readied last year.

The other issue with doing this is that the parks have varying widths on their parade routes. Floats built for DL don't look good on MK's wider route, and floats built for MK/TDL can't be used at DL as they're too big.

I think they've ultimately decided parade sharing is more trouble than it's worth, but that also has to do with shoddy implementation. Parades are so inexpensive compared to attractions that there's really no excuse for not creating new ones on a regular basis.

Perhaps instead of literally trading the floats with each other, they could just build a copy of the floats on property with the right specifications?

GiveMeTheMusic

Perhaps instead of literally trading the floats with each other, they could just build a copy of the floats on property with the right specifications?

That already kind of happens. Paint the Night is being duplicated from HKDL for DL (with some additions). It's just not a consistent policy as I think everything is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. There's no consistency; it all comes down to when each resort orders a new parade from WDI, how much they wanna spend, etc.

KentB3

That already kind of happens. Paint the Night is being duplicated from HKDL for DL (with some additions). It's just not a consistent policy as I think everything is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. There's no consistency; it all comes down to when each resort orders a new parade from WDI, how much they wanna spend, etc.

What are these additions for DL's Paint the Light parade not present in HKDL's version?

GiveMeTheMusic

What are these additions for DL's Paint the Light not present in HKDL's version?

DL's Paint the Night will have a new Frozen unit (apparently it's breathtaking), dozens more performers and characters and the addition of a title drum float (a la MSEP) to the opening Tinker Bell unit.

jrhwdw

No, nothing has been released. It's likely we won't see anything until soft openings start, likely mid-May.
So, Soft Openings are being planned, GOOD! I was hoping PTN would do that. Have seen art/actual float for
PTN's FROZEN? I like breathtaking!

Soft Openings a good bet for WOC-C! and DL Forever?

mouse_luv

The hub was expanded for more flow overall. And mostly for Wishes, not MSEP solely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom