Electrical Light Parade Replacement?

PhotoDave219

I think it was @PhotoDave219 who reported that SpectroMagic, when it was scrapped, was not actually in such bad condition as we were led to believe. Regardless, it's gone forever (such an unimaginable waste...).

Thats correct. It would have taken approx $1M to bring the parade back is the number I was quoted. It was a money thing.

The rumors of the floats being stored improperly are not true. Yes, there was damage and aging but not to the hyperbole that was spewed off on here.

PhotoDave219

So Spectromagic is dead? I was hoping that since MSEP was at WDW, Spectro was at the other lands. =( I know they were flip flopping them with Land for a number of years. Going to miss Spectro!

Yes, they made a budgetary decision to let it go about 18 months ago. Floats were dismantled. Some props were saved. Some tossed.

cjkeating

Thats correct. It would have taken approx $1M to bring the parade back is the number I was quoted. It was a money thing.

The rumors of the floats being stored improperly are not true. Yes, there was damage and aging but not to the hyperbole that was spewed off on here.

Surely $1m is considerably less than a new parade? Presumably the short term decision was that it would be cheaper to maintain MSEP but in reality it is going to need replacing before Spectro would have done if it had returned?

ToTBellHop

Surely $1m is considerably less than a new parade? Presumably the short term decision was that it would be cheaper to maintain MSEP but in reality it is going to need replacing before Spectro would have done if it had returned?
Surely true, but I those the end result will make us happy as we will end up with a new parade in the next five years. Or, as I said, no parade. That would really suck. Surely WDW would not run four theme parks with just one parade while DLR has three parades in two parks, right?

CDavid

Yet if they had brought it back the interwebz would have erupted in protest over "lazy" Disney giving us an old show and trying to convince everyone it's something to be excited about.

Which is exactly what they did. The only difference is they brought back an even older Main Street Electrical Parade (show) and we're supposed to be excited about it. Which many guests were, just like many would also have been for SpectroMagic.

And in both cases you are absolutely correct - Disney took the easy, cheap, and lazy way out instead of giving us a new parade (which still doesn't excuse scrapping a parade which could have been saved for $1 million). In trashing the parade, Disney also has a remarkable lack of respect for its own history, of which the nighttime parades are an important part.

mouse_luv

Read only a few pages of this thread, but here is my 2 cents. The only way we are getting a new night/light parade at WDW is when the current crappy MSEP falls apart completely while going down the parade route or shorts out and hurts little Timmy and Disney HAS to do something.

tirian

Correct. I saw those floats shortly before they were dismantled, and they weren't in the horrible condition some people had claimed. With a few updates, Spectro could have returned.

—but a new night parade would be much better!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom