Eisner Vs Iger

who would you vote for if that were up to us

• Bob Iger

Votes: 25 27.8%
  • Michael Eisner

Votes: 65 72.2%

• Total voters

BuddyThomas

Walt Disney would have not been pleased with either of these leaders. Walt knew the importance of family values and that was one of his top priorities from the beginning. That culture is not as important to the current leadership and they should thread carefully to keep from alienating a majority of their potential customers.
LOL. And what exactly, pray tell, do you believe is "alienating a majority of their potential customers"? They are busier than ever.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Well, in brass tacks terms, I owned DIS under Eisner, and I owned DIS under Iger. I've also been to the parks when Eisner was in charge, and while Iger's been in charge.

Iger's performance in terms of increasing shareholder value wins hands down. Iger's performance in perpetuating the Disney theme park experience... not so much.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So Iger preserved the Magic by closing Snow White, cutting New Fantasyland to bare bones, closing half of DHS and EPCOT, not fixing Yeti, and investing almost nothing in new attractions across WDW?

Under Eisner you got some of the best attractions ever built and FOUR new parks.
  • Animal Kingdom
  • Hollywood Studios
  • Blizzard Beach
  • Typhoon Lagoon
  • Everest, one of the best attractions Disney has ever built
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris
  • Tower of Terror (maybe THE best attraction ever built)
  • Splash Mountain (maybe the most classic "new" ride at WDW)
  • Test Track
  • Soarin'
  • Mission Space
  • Rock N Rollercoaster
  • Fantasmic!
  • All Star Resorts
  • A TON of other hotels
  • And more
Under Iger we got:
  • New Fantasyland
  • Toy Story
  • Test Track 2.0
  • Frozen (by closing Maelstrom)
Iger isn't completely done, but he's essentially put WDW on life support and the jury is out on Pandora, Star Wars, and Toy Story Land. Iger was only able to ignore WDW because Iger built multi decade attractions that literally needed no updating.

Eisner wasn't all great, particularly at the end. He closed some of my favorite attractions, but at least he tried to put something new and innovative in their place. I don't like that Horizons, the original Imagination, and World of Motion were closed either, but Iger only subtracts and crams more people into the parks.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^ A billion times over, The key is "Iger only subtracts and crams more people into the parks" exactly and that sums up my dissatisfaction with WDW precisely.

With WDW especially it's not 'What's New' it's whats been taken away now.

Sir_Cliff

I wanted Roy E. Disney to win during that little dispute they were having but now I do wonder what would have happened if Eisner had stayed.
I suspect Disney would have been swallowed by a larger company by now. Disney was not well by the end of Eisner's term.

grnflash

I voted Iger. Eisner did build 4 parks, 2 of which (DCA and DLP) were straight up failures. He also built a half day park and one whose premise couldn't be sustained. Apparently Iger has/is trying to fix all 4.

I do feel for those lamenting things Iger has/hasn't done with WDW. That's how we felt out west in the 90's....under Eisner.

Rumrunner

LOL. And what exactly, pray tell, do you believe is "alienating a majority of their potential customers"? They are busier than ever.
I would agree with you they are busier than ever but only because of the traditions built by Walt Disney. There is a significant segment of our society that maybe you are not aware of that are not pleased with the direction of Disney, from ESPN to the cancelling of certain TV shows, to the out of balance emphasis on political correctness.
I go to Disney because of the unique experience for my kids and grandkids-Iger directions and decisions are not a part of that experience, those came from Walt Disney.
Iger has virtually a monopoly that Walt Disney built. So therefore many of us go but have concerns.
I also understand that some people that live in a bubble will have no idea of these things but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

BuddyThomas

I would agree with you they are busier than ever but only because of the traditions built by Walt Disney. There is a significant segment of our society that maybe you are not aware of that are not pleased with the direction of Disney, from ESPN to the cancelling of certain TV shows, to the out of balance emphasis on political correctness.
I go to Disney because of the unique experience for my kids and grandkids-Iger directions and decisions are not a part of that experience, those came from Walt Disney.
Iger has virtually a monopoly that Walt Disney built. So therefore many of us go but have concerns.
I also understand that some people that live in a bubble will have no idea of these things but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
Yeah, I see exactly what you are saying without outright saying it. Do you think "family values" only means straight white God fearing Christians? I am gay and have had a committed partner for many years - going on15 to be exact. Does that count as family values? Am I allowed to come to Disney, or will that "not please" you? Please advise.

Last edited:

The_Bellringer

Eisner was good in the beginning and helped oversee the Renaissance, but by the time the 90s were over something changed. He was firing animators left and right, built the horrible DCA 1.0 and drove the movie division into the ground.

I'm not saying Iger is perfect but the company has been more stable under him, and despite whether you like it or not, through acquisions and aggressive movie making Disney has become the largest entertainment company in the world by a large margin.

And I know users hate Iger on the theme-park side, but I think it's mainly WDW that had been neglected. Disneyland always had new fireworks shows, rides, parades, a complete redo of CA etc while WDW kinda stagnated in the 2000s. I mean Wishes JUST got replaced for crying out loud.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yeah, I see exactly what you are saying without outright saying it. Do you think "family values" only means straight white God fearing Christians? I am gay and have had a committed partner for many years - going on15 to be exact. Does that count as family values? Am I allowed to come to Disney, or will that "not please" you? Please advise.

Are you a decent human being who does not enjoy hurting others, do you help build up your community? Is your home net positive for love ?

If so those are the 'Family Values' which Walt believed in.

Unfortunately we have too many man bites dog stories about so called religious people who believe their lifestyle is the only one worthy of the title 'family values' which in reality are anything but

Mahatma Gandhi said it best "I like your Christ, But your Christians are so unlike your Christ".

Rumrunner

I believe you may have read more into my comment that was intended. Family values is what people decide it means to them. It is not judgmental on what others choose. I am not sure how you came to the conclusion I didn't want you to come to Disney or it would not please me. You are to free to do and choose what is best for your life and hope you extent the same courtesy to me but your comment of derision about "white God fearing Christians" was rather hateful sounding.
Wish you the best.

freediverdude

And I am NOT going to start, nor allow, for this to become a heated argument any further. I'm just saying, it's not just the parks you have to focus on, its the movies and Disney's TV Networks too!

Well there's not a whole lot of competition in the animation segment, mostly just Dreamworks. So it's not that hard to win an award most years. Frozen was pretty mediocre I thought. Everybody just liked the song, and Disney Channel got all the kids to flock.

Sir_Cliff

Well there's not a whole lot of competition in the animation segment, mostly just Dreamworks. So it's not that hard to win an award most years. Frozen was pretty mediocre I thought. Everybody just liked the song, and Disney Channel got all the kids to flock.
Frozen is the highest-grossing animated film of all time and generally well reviewed. Animation is also far more competitive now than it was during the Disney renaissance under Eisner. But, sure, if only we could go back to the halcyon days of Chicken Little, The Wild, and Meet the Robinsons...

BuddyThomas

Are you a decent human being who does not enjoy hurting others, do you help build up your community? Is your home net positive for love ?

If so those are the 'Family Values' which Walt believed in.

Unfortunately we have too many man bites dog stories about so called religious people who believe their lifestyle is the only one worthy of the title 'family values' which in reality are anything but

Mahatma Gandhi said it best "I like your Christ, But your Christians are so unlike your Christ".
Thank you.

freediverdude

Frozen is the highest-grossing animated film of all time and generally well reviewed. Animation is also far more competitive now than it was during the Disney renaissance under Eisner. But, sure, if only we could go back to the halcyon days of Chicken Little, The Wild, and Meet the Robinsons...

Well huge box office doesn't necessarily equal good, it just means a lot of 6 year old girls wanted to see it. That's the problem, yes Iger is maximizing shareholder value and getting every drop out of people's wallets, but a better experience not so much. More premium mall experience, lol.

Sir_Cliff

Well huge box office doesn't necessarily equal good, it just means a lot of 6 year old girls wanted to see it. That's the problem, yes Iger is maximizing shareholder value and getting every drop out of people's wallets, but a better experience not so much. More premium mall experience, lol.
Yeah, but Disney was making mediocre to bad animated films that weren't even earning much money by the time Eisner left. To use Frozen as an example of why Eisner still being in charge would be better for Disney than Iger seems a little, ah, unusual to me. Would you prefer DTV Home on the Range 3?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom