Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPCOT Explorer

Hmm.

I'd say every idea should come from something as large scale and visionary as what Mr. Sotto posted. Then it can get scaled back to be economically and technologically feasible. Not the other way around.

Well, that's just the trouble. Is WDI scaling EVERYTHING back? Or is that TDO?

WDW1974

Welcome to WDWMAGIC! Thanks for taking the time to add to the discussion.

On a slightly different subject, just wanted to thank you for the incredible job you did on DLP Main Street USA. It's truly top notch.

Yes, DLP's Main Street is by far the most beautiful and detailed out there ... although even HK's Main Street offers more than WDW's these days.

But I recall hearing stories about Main Street for DLP originally being themed more to the 1920s big-city gangster era and Michael shot it down (perhaps channeling his big budget 1990 film). Was that true? Was that your concept?

WDW1974

I'd say every idea should come from something as large scale and visionary as what Mr. Sotto posted. Then it can get scaled back to be economically and technologically feasible. Not the other way around.

Great point.

And one that I believe has hit on the fundamental difference between the way WDI developed concepts in the past and how they do it today.

Of course either of the two Stitch-themed attractions at MK may drive that point home best!

bgraham34

Thats a little freaky the thread was gone. It had to be Gremlins and not a technical glitch i don't buy it.

whylightbulb

Yes, DLP's Main Street is by far the most beautiful and detailed out there ... although even HK's Main Street offers more than WDW's these days.

But I recall hearing stories about Main Street for DLP originally being themed more to the 1920s big-city gangster era and Michael shot it down (perhaps channeling his big budget 1990 film). Was that true? Was that your concept?
Yes I was in some of those meetings. We would have loved that version of Main Street but alas, they came up with some stupid reason why it would have been a bad decision for that part of the world. I don't exactly remember what the reason was but perhaps Eddie does.

jt04

Just read the "where did the thread go" thread. Funny stuff. Perhaps the same super secret Disney cabal :cool: that conspired to shut down PI is at work here :lookaroun.

Help!, the paranoids are after us.:eek:

Just kidding. I still think it is amazing a former Imagineer is openly posting here. It's an honor and hopefully more will jump in. The waters fine.:)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Yes I was in some of those meetings. We would have loved that version of Main Street but alas, they came up with some stupid reason why it would have been a bad decision for that part of the world. I don't exactly remember what the reason was but perhaps Eddie does.

The decision came down while i was on vacation. NEVER go on vacation. Michael in addition to cost issues thought the 20s version would send the message that we had "lost our innocence". Having a jazz speakeasy was going too far I suppose. Of course we do the keystone cops not Elliot Ness. That did not come through clear enough and the decision was taken. It was based on the Hello Dolly set from Fox. Some designers protested this look and it was an internal struggle as it was called "urban blight".

I was travelling with Mr Eisner during the park's construction and he turned to me and said "You were right, we should have done that 1920's main street." of course this was of little solace since we were half done with the one he had commissioned. I was not happy. LOL. Cost was a factor as well as that concept included an elevated train (peoplemover) and a circlevision theater and a speakeasy show/restaurant. All that was cut. Pretty ambitious for a main street, i think i was the wrong guy to put on a project where they just wanted a copy. We kept embellishing it toward the "Hello Dolly" set anyway. Every prisoner has a right to try and escape!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I was travelling with Mr Eisner during the park's construction and he turned to me and said "You were right, we should have done that 1920's main street." of course this was of little solace since we were half done with the one he had commissioned. I was not happy. LOL. Cost was a factor as well as that concept included an elevated train (peoplemover) and a circlevision theater and a speakeasy show/restaurant. All that was cut. Pretty ambitious for a main street, i think i was the wrong guy to put on a project where they just wanted a copy. We kept embellishing it toward the "Hello Dolly" set anyway. Every prisoner has a right to try and escape!

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. :)

Where did the peoplemover run in the concept?

disneykw

The decision came down while i was on vacation. NEVER go on vacation. Michael in addition to cost issues thought the 20s version would send the message that we had "lost our innocence". Having a jazz speakeasy was going too far I suppose. Of course we do the keystone cops not Elliot Ness. That did not come through clear enough and the decision was taken. It was based on the Hello Dolly set from Fox. Some designers protested this look and it was an internal struggle as it was called "urban blight".

I haven't seen the DLP at Main St yet but that's depressing. I've seen your beautiful concept art for your Main St with elevated tramway, Eddie. It's great! Eisner!:mad:

whylightbulb

Do you remember Frank Fruscello? He came up with a brilliant show concept for the Speakeasy. I wish they'd bring that one back to life for Tokyo, or maybe DHS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom