Ebola Tainted Costumes? Hmmmmm....

PhilharMagician

But how often can you use the word "taint" in a thread title around here?
:cautious:

@sshindel is back in the gutter. Again! :eek:

This whole situation with the garments touching each other seems silly. These CM's constantly touch each other during performances while they are all sweaty. Without being behind the scenes and seeing all of what really goes on makes it hard to judge, but it almost sounds like the CM's that are mentioned to be fired had other issues as well.

JohnD

@sshindel is back in the gutter. Again! :eek:

This whole situation with the garments touching each other seems silly. These CM's constantly touch each other during performances while they are all sweaty. Without being behind the scenes and seeing all of what really goes on makes it hard to judge, but it almost sounds like the CM's that are mentioned to be fired had other issues as well.

And you know they had other issues how? As for the garments touching other garments, then I guess, to put this in an office context, you would be okay with a co-worker coughing, sneezing into their hands, then using your keyboard and mouse. It's just silly. You work together all the time. What's the fuss about, right?

PhilharMagician

And you know they had other issues how? As for the garments touching other garments, then I guess, to put this in an office context, you would be okay with a co-worker coughing, sneezing into their hands, then using your keyboard and mouse. It's just silly. You work together all the time. What's the fuss about, right?

If you read my post I said "without being behind the scenes and seeing all of what really goes on makes it hard to judge" so I do not know if they had other issues. From what I read in the Sentinal version of the story that 3 CM's refused to don their costumes because a sweaty costume was hung next to theirs and they touched. They refused to do their job and were fired. These are the same people doing lifts during the show and continuously touching other sweaty CM's during the production of Festival of the Lion King. There may be more to the story, but that is what I got. IMHO I do not see any reason in the information I read to justify refusing to go on stage and forcing the cancellation of a show. This may have been an ongoing issue that fell upon deaf ears?

I just do not understand your argument. Apparently the CM's should never touch each other. So when they are dancing, acting and whatever they do when touching each other in shows and parades should all be stopped? That will make for interesting entertainment. o_O

So now in the office scenario when the idiot that coughs or sneezes in his or her hand and handles a door , hand rail, light switch, copier or other surface I should quit? How about the people that use the restroom and never come near the sink to wash their hands and then open the door and walk out with what on their hands? Should I quit or stand there and wait for someone else to open the door? Then my boss fires me because I waited an hour for someone else to open the bathroom door for me.

This is ridiculous at best!! :banghead: :facepalm:

I would also like to point out that most of the CM's will high five guests in the front row and hold children's hands during the actual show. They do not know if the guests are sick or not or what diseases the may have. At least they would know more about their show co-workers and would be less concerned about touching them. :rolleyes:

JohnD

My comment was in reference to the costumes. So, you're telling me that although they went out of their way to clean their costumes and someone else's sweat ended up all over theirs and soiling them, they have no right to complain? Deal with it? Is that what you're saying? With that attitude, why not just take off your costume after your shift and hand them to the next person who has your role. No big deal. They all get sweaty. Who needs a clean costume? You're just a rube who is expected to perform for our guests. Got it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
My comment was in reference to the costumes. So, you're telling me that although they went out of their way to clean their costumes and someone else's sweat ended up all over theirs and soiling them, they have no right to complain? Deal with it? Is that what you're saying? With that attitude, why not just take off your costume after your shift and hand them to the next person who has your role. No big deal. They all get sweaty. Who needs a clean costume? You're just a rube who is expected to perform for our guests. Got it.

I would say they have every right to complain, but it's hardly enough of a reason to refuse to perform, unless it's something that has happened repeatedly and their concerns had not been addressed. Now if they were surgeons and the clean medical scrubbs were put next to dirty ones that would be a totally different situation. In the case of the performers they are likely to get as much it not more exposure during the performance then by costumes touching other costumes.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I would say they have every right to complain, but it's hardly enough of a reason to refuse to perform, unless it's something that has happened repeatedly and their concerns had not been addressed. Now if they were surgeons and the clean medical scrubbs were put next to dirty ones that would be a totally different situation. In the case of the performers they are likely to get as much it not more exposure during the performance then by costumes touching other costumes.

Hey, if all the commandos had tainted my crazy FotLK crazy stilt guy costume, I'm taking my stilt dancing skills elsewhere.

PhilharMagician

No where in the article does it say anything about the CM's going out of their own way to clean costumes. It say that sweaty costumes were hung near the clean ones.

Here is a quote from one of the ex CM's "We felt the unitards that were clean had absorbed sweat from the costumes that were already there," said Doug Biederman, one of the performers. "We said, 'We don't know what to do. Obviously wearing these costume pieces isn't an option because they're soiled. They're not wearable.'"

My point before is that these performers swap sweat during every performance. So what is the big deal? If these people that were supposed to be quarantined because of some transferrable disease and there garments are mixed then that would be a different story.

Again, I do not know anything but what was written in the article. I am stating an opinion, but you seem to have more information than I have found in the Sentinel story. So if you have more info please share it with us.

No, I do not think anyone is a rube. Festival of the Lion King is an amazing show with gifted performers and happens to be my favorite stage show in WDW. I hate to see anyone loose their job.

JWG

So, at the end of whatever this thread is, two FotLK performers were separated for not performing related to concerns over their laundered attire interacting with dirty attire. Now it becomes an interesting issue for Disney to work through with the union and creates some significant visibility related to future issues/claims.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom