Earthquake - Redone

WDWGuy

Original Poster
Earthquake, one of the original attractions at Universal Studios Florida, opened again after a short rehab and the following changes hava taken place:

1) The entire script of the attraction has changed. Instead of you being "part of a final scene in the movie" and following along those lines...Universal has opted to go the route that you are being shown "tricks of the trade" and experiencing "physical effects" on the grand scale of movie making. Makes a lot more sense...this attraction, just as Twister down the road, is all about showing off big effects from the movies and just how they are accomplished.

2) The initial room before the theater room has been altered slightly. They now have rain, snow, and wind effects as part of the script.

3) The pre show movie in the theater room has been changed and now reflects a more current compilation of movies in Universal's repetoire. Movies such as the "The Scorpian King" and "U-571" are included. Charlton Heston remains in an abbreviated manner...In addition to the minature building props from the first version of the attraction...models from E.T., U-571, and The Grinch are also included.

3) The "Shopping Mall" blue screen demonstration before you enter the Earthquake tram area has now been completely redone to reflect a scene from U-571. This scene is actually quite funny and a new surprise for one of the volunteers has been added which I will not divulge.

4) The Earthquake scene remains the same. I have always thought this ride was Catastrophe Canyon with an extra KICK to it...and it remains that way. I am very much impressed by the ingenuity and technology involved in making that scene happen.

Its nice to see so much press being given to the additions of Shrek 3D and a Johnny Neutron themed attraction coming next year....Universal is doing the right thing...

WDWGuy

WDWFREAK53

Ya know...there has been a lot of flak going on about Shrek and Jimmy Neutron...but to tell you the truth...I don't even bother with the Alfred Hitchcock attraction...I have done it once, wasn't crazy about it...and have never gone back to it. I do have to say that I like the Hanna Barbera attraction...it's fun just because of the characters in it (brings me back to my childhood). I am all for the removal of Alfred Hitchcock (unless they were to update it because I love hitchcock movies) MOVE OVER AL, SHREK IS MOVING IN...The Hanna Barbera attraction also needs a major overhaul (I would MUCH rather see this happen than a Jimmy Neutron attraction) but I'm all for EVOLUTION and if it's gonna put some butts in the seats, then I'm all for it!

MKCustodial

Originally posted by WDWGuy
Its nice to see so much press being given to the additions of Shrek 3D and a Johnny Neutron themed attraction coming next year....Universal is doing the right thing...

WDWGuy

Updating classic attractions sure is the right thing. But removing classics like Kong and Hanna-Barbera to put in forgettable stuff like Scorpion King and Jimmy Neutron is just WRONG! Now, I liked Scorpion King, and I like the Mummy series, but are they as memorable as Kong? NO! King Kong has been a legend and a pop reference since the 50's. In the same note, do you think someone's gonna know in 10, 20, 50 years who is Jimmy Neutron, or Bob Sponge, or the Rugrats? Now go check out how long the Flintstones, Scooby, Yogi, The Jetsons and Dastardly and Muttley have been around.

Personally, I think Universal is gonna feel these decisions deeply, and it's gonna be too late to turn back, just as it was for Disney when they removed the original Journey Into Imagination.

woofboy111

I saw the new earthquake and I have to say it's a big improvement over the old preshow. It's harder to fall asleep during it! The only problem was that the people telling you the stuff didn't seem to know the new script yet...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom