Early or Late May?

DisneyPrincess5

Hi all!

We aren't returning to WDW until 2017 :arghh: Yes, if you did the math that's two years away, but I'm already in preliminary planning mode. We just went to Disney in November but we miss it dearly. My mom and aunt just went and came back yesterday so now even our Vicarious Vacation is over!

DH and I have been twice around 4/29-5/8 and really loved it. The weather was impeccable, high 70s-high 80s. Crowds were a bit high at times due to a ton of school groups but overall we loved it and thoroughly enjoyed the Flower and Garden Fest. But the beginning of May is a hair tough for us with a family member's birthday and Mothers Day hovering and that year, Easter is 4/16 so we are entertaining later May. As it would be a bit more relaxing for us I think.

What is it like later in May and around/approaching Memorial Day? Crowds? Weather?
We would either go probably 4/27/17-5/4/17 or 5/18/17-5/25/17.

Thanks for your opinions and experiences!

Sparkle1566

I like early May myself. Late May, I feel is much busier as you get closer to Memorial Day and the kids from the north starting summer vacation from school end of May, early June.
Also, mid to late May, you will run into the time when Star Wars weekends are at HS, I was there last year during that time..... it brings in an extreme amount of extra people including locals.... something to think about.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
I like early May myself. Late May, I feel is much busier as you get closer to Memorial Day and the kids from the north starting summer vacation from school end of May, early June.
Also, mid to late May, you will run into the time when Star Wars weekends are at HS, I was there last year during that time..... it brings in an extreme amount of extra people including locals.... something to think about.
Ahh excellent point on SWW I totally forgot about that because it's never been relevant to us. Thanks for that I think it's best for us to avoid it.

Upvote 0

lostpro9het

Another vote for early. We're headed down in two weeks for our third early May trip in as many years. Yes, it will probably rain once a day for a bit but, in our experience, it has never been a trip wrecker.

Upvote 0

Yvonne C

From personal experience, early is way better. Less crowds and weather is more stable. I just had a guest come back this weekend and said "April, never again!" they preferred early May too. I already started on May of 2016 for her!

Upvote 0

JasonDeyoung

Early May. I go every year the first week of May and it's not busy, moderate at most w not long lines. The weather here is starting to get pretty hot but humidity isn't horrible yet. End of May you start getting busy and Memorial Day weekend is usually very busy. I'll be at Disney again in less than two weeks the 1st - 7th

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

From personal experience, early is way better. Less crowds and weather is more stable. I just had a guest come back this weekend and said "April, never again!" they preferred early May too. I already started on May of 2016 for her!
This April has been unusually hot and muggy. It's usually quite nice.

Upvote 0

EmmieSue

What is it like later in May and around/approaching Memorial Day? Crowds? Weather?
We would either go probably 4/27/17-5/4/17 or 5/18/17-5/25/17.

Thanks for your opinions and experiences!

We went in later May last year and the crowds weren't bad at all. Hollywood Studios was the most crowded because of Star Wars weekends being in May, but it was slightly better there during the week. We didn't do any advanced fastpasses or dining reservations and we didn't have any issues. Longest waits were 7DMT and Toy Story and even those weren't terrible.

Weather wise...it rained everyday for about 15-45 minutes, but that is typical Florida rain. Heat wise it wasn't unbearable, but it wasn't comfortable. It was around 85-90 each day.

I thought it was a good time to go and this year we are doing May 5th-12th. So curious to see the difference, if there is one.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom