Earl of Sandwich in decline

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
I've been going to Downtown Disney's Earl of Sandwich since it opened, but based on my last visit this past weekend, I might not be back.

Pricing has recently gone up, with the Club Sandwich now costing $6.99. The filling was very thin, and did not go to the ends of the sandwich. Even in the middle, it was so thin - a cross section of the sandwich is 95% bread. There was hardly any tomato and lettuce, just a few very thin slices of cheap deli meat, and some kind of sauce to make the bread a soggy mess.

The kids sandwiches are very low quality - the turkey and swiss was 99% bread with just a few tiny strips of low-end processed turkey - not something that you want to feed a child.

epcotisbest

I've been going to Downtown Disney's Earl of Sandwich since it opened, but based on my last visit this past weekend, I might not be back.

Pricing has recently gone up, with the Club Sandwich now costing $6.99. The filling was very thin, and did not go to the ends of the sandwich. Even in the middle, it was so thin - a cross section of the sandwich is 95% bread. There was hardly any tomato and lettuce, just a few very thin slices of cheap deli meat, and some kind of sauce to make the bread a soggy mess.

The kids sandwiches are very low quality - the turkey and swiss was 99% bread with just a few tiny strips of low-end processed turkey - not something that you want to feed a child.
Sad to hear. We often get sandwiches there and like to try different ones each trip. Never had one we did not like and we will go again in less than a month. Hope they get back on track.

kfergdisney

They better get their stuff in gear. That is my FAVORITE sandwich place at WDW. If they don't have their goodness back in 8 months (next time I will be there)...I might open a can...
Ok, I'll probably just be sad.

Mickey5150

They better get their stuff in gear. That is my FAVORITE sandwich place at WDW. If they don't have their goodness back in 8 months (next time I will be there)...I might open a can...
Ok, I'll probably just be sad.
Just curious, but is there any other "sandwich" places at WDW? I'm just asking because I can't think of any right now.

RonAnnArbor

I dunno -- I had an Original Earl just two days ago and it was exactly the same as it always is - in fact, as usual, I ended up throwing some of it out because it was just too big...I don't know what happened to your sandwich(es) but I have not seen ANY difference in quality there at all, and I dine there 5-6 times a year...

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Oh, I hope this was only an isolated instance of a sub-par sandwich. What you described, certainly doesn't live up to their standards.

I went to Earl of Sandwich back in May, and I had the Italian sandwich--it was delicious. Both Earl and Wolfgang Puck Express are my favorite luncheon spots at DTD (Disney Springs).

MDB407

I eat at Earl's quite a bit since I work at DTD. I have seen absolutely no decline in any of the sandwiches. Breakfast and Lunch seem to be the same as always. Must have hit them on a bad day.

JasonDeyoung

I love Earls, always have had great experiences at the one in DTD. I've been to the one here in Tampa and the one at the Detroit Metro Airport and they are all great. Sucks you had a bad visit. Guess everything and everywhere has an off day once in awhile?

PinnySmart

I eat at Earl's quite a bit since I work at DTD. I have seen absolutely no decline in any of the sandwiches. Breakfast and Lunch seem to be the same as always. Must have hit them on a bad day.
I totally agree. I eat there often, the holiday turkey is my favorite, and I have noticed no decline whatsoever. Restaraunts have off days unfortunately. One bad meal does not a decline make. I will continue to enjoy my holiday turkey sandwich at least once a week. Clearly it must be different turkey than the kid's sandwich because it is nowhere near low end processed turkey. Poor kids. They always seem to get the short end of the stick. :banghead:

HouCuseChickie

Funny you bring this up...there used to be several in our area, but they've all started going under (correction- gone). I know Earl is a big WDW fave, but chains like Potbelly and Which Wich have killed them locally for a variety of reasons.

Unomas

Maybe they were having a bad day. But I was there in early August and my sandwich was amazing. So good and I can't wait to go back. The place was out the door packed too.

s8film40

I prefer the non Disney locations, I only wish they would open more. Earl of Sandwich is one of my favorites but the DTD location is very busy at times. Obviously this creates a long wait at times and a shortage of tables, and I have also noticed some quality issues when they get a little overwhelmed. The other locations are so much better.

pajammies

I prefer the non Disney locations, I only wish they would open more. Earl of Sandwich is one of my favorites but the DTD location is very busy at times. Obviously this creates a long wait at times and a shortage of tables, and I have also noticed some quality issues when they get a little overwhelmed. The other locations are so much better.

I don't know if you have ever stood in that line, but in my experience, it actually goes pretty fast. Finding a table however, is a pain in the butt! There are just so many people there.
I haven't noticed any decline (we ate there last year) but when we go in November, I hope it is as amazing as it always is. That is one of my favorite places to eat, anywhere, it is a first day must for us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom