Dvc?

Herk

Original Poster
Firstly I wanted to know if DVC is Disney's version of RCI(as in the idea of a timeshare). And what are the costs of joining eg. first cost to purchase week, maintenence costs and so forth.
:confused: :veryconfu :confused:

PurpleDragon

I'm not a DVC member but I believe that is exactly what it is, a time share. But I'm sure there is someone here who is a member that could give you a detailed expaination.

Hey, 400th post! Woo-hoo!!

DisneyPhD

The pro's and cons of DVC has been activily debated on Magic in the Past (rather frequent, look for thread "a funny thing happened on the way to DVC, but on second thought maybe you should avoid that, it got a little, well distracted.) :rolleyes:

Here is a web site that discribes it in detial.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/dvc/faq.shtml

In addtion there is a forum there of at well over 1,000 DVC members. There are around 60 of here at WDW magic.

We love DVC, one of the best things I have ever done. And the best 14,000 I have spent so far (much better then my car, as much as I love it!)

But then again I love talking about it and setting the rather mixed up record stright. Ask away.

SwampFox

Dvc

Yes, this is the Disney version of a timeshare. It is not a specific week, it is based on a points system. You initially purchase points, there is only one resort that currently is open for sale by Disney, Saratoga Springs(SSR), and it cost $95USD per point. The points are recurring each year through the end of the contract, which for all resorts except SSR, expires in 2042. SSR expires in 2053 or 54. The number of points you expend for your accomodations is based on three factors, size of the accomodation, time of the year you are going and the resort you stay at. There is a maintainance charge assessed yearly and is a price per point. In 2005, I will pay a little less than $1000.
They have announce that in January 2005, they will offer DVC members $100 off of an adult Annual pass and $85 off a child, renewals have a little less discount. This was one issue that I had with them, but now it's resolved. The new manager, Jim Lewis, wants to add more of a cachet to being a member, and they have come up with some initiatives to further that aim. Honestly, it is the best investment I've made. I've been to WDW as a member 3 times, switched for a week on Cape Cod and stayed at a really nice hotel 3 times. I did this in 5 years on 222 points per year.
If you are interested, check out the secondary market. You can purchase points to resorts that DVC has already sold out of.

goofyman

The dvc site has all the info. It is a time share but a extremely flexable one. you mentioned RCI , they are NOT affiliated with them but are affiliated with interval intl. in my opinion a better outfit. We love it! :sohappy:

Herk

Original Poster
SwampFox said:
You initially purchase points, there is only one resort that currently is open for sale by Disney, Saratoga Springs(SSR), and it cost $95USD per point.

Ok so do yo buy them initially for a time of the year lets say August can you use your points only for August or ant time of the year.

DisneyPhD

Herk said:
Ok so do yo buy them initially for a time of the year lets say August can you use your points only for August or ant time of the year.
Here's a short answer. There's a bit more to it but here it is in a nutshell. When you purchase you will have a "Use Year". All this is, is the month that you get your next allotment of points. Our use year begins in September. That means we have to have all of our points used up (or banked) by August. The points themselves can be used anytime throughout the year.

Herk

Original Poster
I have heard you can transfer points fom lets say 2007 to use for a holiday in 2006, but mu question is how many years can you transfer points to the year you're going is it only the one year difference or is more? Any help would be truely appreciated.

PS. My mum and dad has a timeshare in greece and I want them to see it and see if would work out .

PSS. Do you get picked to go to the DVC presentation, or is there a office where you can request information? Also how long are you allowed to be in the meetings I've heard for the US its only 5hrs, but it may untrue, and I need to know because my dad doesn't like to be rushed. Plus we always have loads of questions not only on finance but lots of sums to do.

Well thats all I can think of now. Thx in advance Herk
:xmas: :xmas: :xmas:

Gail Hayden

Herk said:
I have heard you can transfer points fom lets say 2007 to use for a holiday in 2006, but mu question is how many years can you transfer points to the year you're going is it only the one year difference or is more? Any help would be truely appreciated.

PS. My mum and dad has a timeshare in greece and I want them to see it and see if would work out .

PSS. Do you get picked to go to the DVC presentation, or is there a office where you can request information? Also how long are you allowed to be in the meetings I've heard for the US its only 5hrs, but it may untrue, and I need to know because my dad doesn't like to be rushed. Plus we always have loads of questions not only on finance but lots of sums to do.

Well thats all I can think of now. Thx in advance Herk
:xmas: :xmas: :xmas:
You can bank one full year's points or borrow one year's full points.
You make an appointment to go to a sales presentation. You are allowed to stay as long as it takes for them to answer your questions. There is no limit.

DisneyPhD

You can use a total of 3 years worth of points in one year if you wanted (save up for a big family vacation or long trip.) To do this you would have to bank one year, use that years points and borrow next years points. At 170 points we don't have enough, but it isn't a good time to add on for us so we are in a constant state or borrowing. You don't have to worry about loseing any points that way :lol:

There is a dead line to when you can bank your points, so you do have to plan ahead some for that. If you borrow points, but cancel the vacation you have to use the points in that use year, you can't "put them back in the next use year."

We never took the tour, we felt we didn't have enough time during our trip. (but it doesn't take up much time at all.) They will take you to the center and they drop you anywere on prop you want to go. Our guide took a great deal of time expaining it all and answering our questions over the phone. She is great. If you want her name and number PM me. You can call her now and she will send out a package in the mail to you (fed ex) and then you can take the tour when you get there.

Herk

Original Poster
But is there not a booth at MK where I could say to my dad "heh look at that you know we could just take a tour". And then do it to see if it worked out

DisneyPhD

Herk said:
But is there not a booth at MK where I could say to my dad "heh look at that you know we could just take a tour". And then do it to see if it worked out

Yes there are boths everywhere. They seem to pop up like rabbits really. One at every park (or 2) DTD and every DVC resort. There is one at MK in Tomarrow land before SM. It used to be a stand selling things.

They take you to the DVC tour guide area. It used to be BWV, but now it moved to SSR resort I belive. It takes an hour, most likely 2. They will give you vouchers for a free meal if you tak the tour. Since we never took it out guide had us pick some up on our 1st trip. There is free ice cream or cotton candy too I belive.

Gail Hayden

Herk said:
You can book a tour at any of the DVC kiosks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom