DVC, should we do it?

stephsim

Original Poster
Okay here is our situation!
We have been debating on the DVC for about a year now. We went to Disney March 2003 and September 2004 and are planning to go once again about Nov/Dec 2005. As you can see we average going once a year. We really love Disney and have 3 children who will enjoy it for years to come as well.

We spent about 8,000 $$ for both trips for lodging, food & tickets. The first time we didn't know about discounts and spent a lot on the room at WL during peak season. I know we will be going at least every other year for sure! I am afraid there is some hidden cost or something else to it. I also want our home resort to be the WL. Should we go through Disney anyways and get Saratoga even though I haven't seen it? What are all the DVC benefits? How many years is it yours? Is it really hard to book rooms? I have heard it can be more often than not. We are a family of 5 and will need the 2 bedroom villas right? I have heard they are hard to get, true or false? We like to go when the weather is better March/October times. Is that a good time to get our ressies we want? Sorry I am asking so many questions! I just wanted to tell my dh that he can get some DVC points for his Christmas present. :xmas: He tends to be the one who has to go yearly and brought up going again just the other day. I just figure we might as well do it!!!! What do you think???
Thanks!
Steph :wave:

DisneyPhD

Welcome to WDWmagic. We love DVC, we own 170 points at VWL (bought Feb 2002) but I really wished we owned at BCV since that is our favorite resort. Having said that we have stayed at BCV, VWL, VB and OKW with no real problems getting in. If you are locked into holiday times or very busy times they recomend you buy where you want to stay most. (VWL is very popular in the winter months.) That way you can book 11 months out. All other resorts you can book 7 months out.

You'll would need a 2 bedroom, or posiblely 2 studios (but they don't enter- contect.) That would work say if you brought someone like family or inlaws with you and they stayed in one studio with on child when you stayed in the other with the other 2 children. Also children under the age of 3 don't count so if your if yours are young you can use a 1 bedroom or studio (very cramped) for now. Also there are 2 bedroom decidcated villas or a lock offs that are a one bedroom and studio together. These are not as hard to get, but I have never booked larger then a one bedroom. Also with 2 bedrooms you are going to want a higher number of points (around 300 or so I think.)

But yes it will save you money in the long run and give you great family accomdations. One other wonderful thing about DVC is the off prop resorts. We love Vero Beach and havent been to HH yet, but hear it is also great.

SSR ends in 49 years (2052 I think) and all the rest 39 years. SSR is the only resort that you can get non resale. You can get resale from DVC or from DVC owners or the timesharestore.com there are other places too. DVC direct does not have closing costs so there isn't any hidden costs.

We are really glad we did it and wish we had more points (only family of 4 at this point, but we always end up borrowing points from the next year every time.) At least you never have to worry about any going unused that way.

DVC is great, but it does require learing and understanding the system. We wish we would of joined sooner and had more points.

Much of the DVC bonuses are the same at AP. The best one currenlty out there is new and starts Jan 2, 2005. 100 off AP for the direct family of the owners (up to 8 per contract.) The othe one we use is 10% of The Disney Store. All perks are subject to change so you shouldn't buy based on those.

If you stay in another resort or pay cash for rooms on the weekend it can really make your points go farther. For example at 2 bedroom at VWL in Dream season 2004 (average time) is 34 points a night Sun-Thrusday, but 72 a night on Fri sat for a week total of 314. One week at VWL in a 2 bedroom runs at low at 270 points to 462 depending on off or holiday seasons.

One thing I really like is for the next 39 years the most expensive part of our vacations is paid for. I was laid off last year and became a stay at home mom. This is finaincal change we would of had to limit or reduce out WDW vacations. With DVC they are mostly paid for so we don't have to.

BeachClubVillas

Couldn't have said it better myself. You'll quickly learn that DisneyPhD and I are two proud DVC members who never fail to encourage others to join when they ask! Everything DisneyPhD said I'll second. DVC is just wonderful, and it really does save you money. We go to WDW every year and the membership defintiely pays for itself several times over.

Lauriebar

I honestly think that if you have that many questions and concerns you should arrange to experience the DVC tour on your next WDW vacation. The salespeople are knowledgable and nice and will help you make your decision. The more info you have the better decision you can make for your family. Everyone's situation is different, some love DVC, others do not. Either way, a DVC tour will help you make a final decision!!

DisneyPhD

BeachClubVillas said:
Couldn't have said it better myself. You'll quickly learn that DisneyPhD and I are two proud DVC members who never fail to encourage others to join when they ask! Everything DisneyPhD said I'll second. DVC is just wonderful, and it really does save you money. We go to WDW every year and the membership defintiely pays for itself several times over.

Thanks Beachclub. My only wish was we owned at BVC like you!!!!!

Yes there was a rather *heated* thread about this last month, it pops up every month or so. Do a search and you will find a lot.

One thing is mouseking, DVC does not get it daily. This is one way DVC says money and passes it along to members. You do get trash and towel halfway through trip and you do get a full cleaning if you stay 8 days or longer. We don't mind as we don't really like mousekeeping in the room with the kids naping mid day and all anyway. If you can't live with out daily mousekeeping, DVC might not be for you.

Weather you do resale or buy from DVC a DVC guide is a good resourch of info and understanding. However you are more likely to get honesity from other members.

In addtion to WDWmagic another website with a lot of DVC infor is http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

artvandelay

Bought SSR a couple of months ago. We got 160 points at $85 a point. With 160 points, you can get a two bedroom villa every other year w/o a problem. Maitenance at SSR is $3.86 a point (approx $600 a year). disboards.com is the place for DVC info, but you'll get a good discussion here about the pros and cons of DVC.

goofyman

I have to agree with everyone here. We bought 3 years ago and wish we did sooner. Just to answer a couple of things. We have never had a problem getting the rooms we want, even multiple rooms. Our home is Wl and it is one of my Fav places ANYWHERE. Even if you buy at SP you can always just go to WL the only thing is you can book 11 months in advance for your home resort and 7 for all others. But you will always find a place. As for room service, this was a sticking point with us. My wife did not want to be making beds and the service only comes once or twice a week depending on your stay. So we settled that we would pay the $10 a day for the towels and make our own beds. After the first trip we all realized that it takes 30 seconds to make the bed.( a good jobs for the kids) and ever since we always order towels and trash a few days ( which house keeping actually tries to talk us out of) and then get extra towels from the pool. ( a suggestion of sales person bye the way). But, on every trip we have taking in the past 3 years and we have had rooms for other family as well, we have only been charged the $10 1 time each week and not everyday... So We say go for it you will LOVE it!!! :xmas:

dvcnut39

We also agree with everything Disney PhD said. We currently own 225pts at BCV and we are hoping to add another 125pts at SSR in the near future. Although we own at BCV, we had no problem obtaining a two bedroom at VB in late July of 2004. All I did was get up at 7am, the morning that was 7 months prior to our checkout date, and called Member Services. After I made the reservation, I asked just how many two bedrooms were left, and Member Services informed me that there was still quite a few left. As suggested earlier, because of your many questions, you should think about taking the DVC tour. We were so sold on the DVC that we didn't take the tour and we bought into BCV without ever visiting any of the Vacation Club Resorts, but if you have questions, take the tour. Good luck.

raland2002

My wife and I purchased last May 2004 at Saratoga Springs. I saw a mock room set up on a business trip to Disney but my family has not seen anyhting as of yet. Our first trip is this coming May 2005. It was a tough decision but i think it was the right one. Our children have never been to Disney and there is six of them so the costs get quite astronomical. We have it set so 160 points allows us a one week visit every other year with a 2 bedroom unit (the 4 girls in one room, 2 boys in the living room and mom & dad in the master).

We also have enough points to have grandparents attend and stay in a studio at our expense (which we thought was a nice perk for them).

One can argue all the depreciation factors and inflation costs ect...., point blank simple math proved to use that 3 one week trips to Disney pay for this investment which we have for 50 years. Also we get the tax write off as a second home since we actually are deeded a unit in the resort.

We have not physically been to Saratoga Springs as of yet, I have heard nothing but great feedback. My only concern was it was off the beaten path of many of the parks yet on the same lake as Downtown Disney.

Bottomline, if we feel this does not work we figure we can sell and probaly get out what we put in. I can tell you I found the purchase experience to be very easy and pleasant. I never really looked t this as a high pressured sales pitch. I thought the people selling were honest and just doing their jobs. I called back down to Disney many times and talked to the sale agent with many questions and always received a pleasant experience.

Hope this helps you.

Gail Hayden

I have owned since 1992 and have never ever regretted it. I also purchased at OKW (only one available in 92) sight unseen. I did, however, ask my Vacation Guide a kajillion questions.
Yes, you would need a 2 bedroom.
I have never had a problem getting accomodations.
I tried to send you a PM, but, there is no link.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom