DVC Resale vs Direct

disneyincinci

Original Poster
I'm wanting to buy into DVC and considering buying resale for a better deal, but I know you don't get certain "perks"? The biggest perks I would want is discounts on tickets and passes. Do you still get these buying resale?

nickys

Premium Member
As far as I understand it, you won't qualify for dining and shopping discounts, including the AP. Member events and the member lounge at Epcot are also excluded.

The benefits you do get are the more general ones, like access to TOTWL, the ability to add a dining plan to a room only reservation, DVD rentals, pool hopping etc. Those that actually relate to staying at the DVC resorts in other words. You can also book through RCI.

Tinkerbell397

DVC members do not get discount on tickets to the parks. They do get some discounts on special tours etc. Not sure about annual passes as I have never had those. You do get shopping ad dining discounts with your DVC card. :cat:

nickys

Premium Member
DVC members do not get discount on tickets to the parks. They do get some discounts on special tours etc. Not sure about annual passes as I have never had those. You do get shopping ad dining discounts with your DVC card. :cat:

There are sometimes offers on discounted tickets to the parks, but there are no regular discounted rates for members.

The AP discounts are significant though. Not any use to me sadly, being from the UK ;)

EOD K9

I believe you don't get a membership card, so that would preclude you from discounts where you need to prove you are a member.

dreamfinder

If you buy resale, your points are really only going to get you stays at DVC, and the ability to trade into RCI.

Shamelessly paraphrasing from the DVCResaleMarket site:

The only difference is that with the points you buy on the resale market is that they cannot be used for Disney Cruises, Disney Hotels that are not DVC villas, Adventures by Disney and the Concierge Collection. Fair to note that Disney Vacation Club denotes these options as “incidental benefits” of Membership and reserves the right to discontinue them at any time regardless of how the membership is purchased.
Importantly, members often elect to not use their points for these collections as they do not provide the same value they do for resorts.

Further, if your only DVC purchase is a resale contract purchased after April 4, 2016, you will not receive certain incidental benefits (also known as Membership Extras) such as Member discounts on dining, shopping, Member-exclusive events, and certain special Member offers.

As @EOD K9 said, resale members won't get a membership card, so have no way to prove they are a member for any discounts. This could also prevent you from being able to buy and DVC exclusive merch (typically pins). If discounts are that important to you, after you purchase a deed resale you could buy a small 25pt deed direct, and thus be eligible for benefits. (Technically only for those 25 points, so not a big issue for discounts, but a problem if you wanted to trade points for a cruise for instance)

But buying points resale could more than make up the loss of the discount for APs. Currently DVC gets a discount of $100 (I believe) on a Platinum or Platinum Plus AP. Buying resale points could easily save you $50-80 per point, for instance AKV is currently $165 direct but can often be found for about $80 resale. If you bought 100 points, that would mean you would need to buy 80 APs before buying direct would make a cost savings. Admittedly the discount may change (think it was $150 or so a year or two ago) but it helps to ball park your breakeven.

Keep in mind that any benefits are subject to change and are not guaranteed, even to owners who purchase direct. Discounts are nice, but since they may change wildly it's best not to include them in any breakeven calculation, and instead look solely at what is guaranteed, which is X number of DVC points for the duration of the contract.

Phonedave

Keep in mind that any benefits are subject to change and are not guaranteed, even to owners who purchase direct. Discounts are nice, but since they may change wildly it's best not to include them in any breakeven calculation, and instead look solely at what is guaranteed, which is X number of DVC points for the duration of the contract.

This exactly. Perks of any kind are not part of your contract and can change whenever DVC wants them to.

lightguy

We bought a "main" contract resale and then recently bought 25 points direct so we get the magic blue cards. There's no way i could see paying 50% more to buy all the points direct. This way we get all the discounts- the only thing we don't get is the ability to use the resale points for the other properties outside of DVC and RCI. Not a big loss in our book. It didn't appear to be a very good deal from what we could see anyway. We think we're better off just renting the points and then using that money to go on the cruise or whatever if we want.

tinkhag6

So I am currently looking at purchasing a resale. I just want to make sure I am reading this right. If I buy a resale, I can not book a cruise? Can I book at Hilton head and disneyland?

GoofZ

So I am currently looking at purchasing a resale. I just want to make sure I am reading this right. If I buy a resale, I can not book a cruise? Can I book at Hilton head and disneyland?
Correct, you will not be able to use your points for a cruise if you are buying resale. But you will still be able to use them for Hilton Head and the Grand Californian at Disneyland.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We bought a "main" contract resale and then recently bought 25 points direct so we get the magic blue cards. There's no way i could see paying 50% more to buy all the points direct. This way we get all the discounts- the only thing we don't get is the ability to use the resale points for the other properties outside of DVC and RCI. Not a big loss in our book. It didn't appear to be a very good deal from what we could see anyway. We think we're better off just renting the points and then using that money to go on the cruise or whatever if we want.

Exactly

Phonedave

Buy your primary contract resale and then get a small (25 pt) add on direct.

The direct prices are 100% overpriced and it’s only gonna get worse

As of Feb 28, 2018 that number is now 75 points. If you are going to add on direct points to a resale contract with the intention of getting a blue membership card, the minimum number of points you need to add is now 75. You can add 25, but you will not get a membership card.

Phonedave

Just for the record, using your points for a DCL cruise (or ABD if anybody is considering that) is a very poor option. You could easily get more value by taking those points, renting them out through a broker, and then using the cash to pay for the cruise.

Take the cash price of a cruise and divide it by the number of points it takes to book that cruise, and you will get a dollar per point value. Most of the time it is around $6.00 a point or so. You can rent those points out for $10 each, so if I was taking a $600 cruise (good luck with that), it would "cost" me 100 points, but if I rented them out, i would only need to rent out 60.

On top of that, there is a $95 fee to use your points for a cruse, and the ability to cancel / move a cruise booked on points is more restrictive than cash. Also, if you take your cash and then book through a travel agent, you will most likely get some sort of on-board credit. You will not get that with points.

-dave

correcaminos

I agree, using the points for cruises is a poor use of points. Though many do it and love it (not going to judge) but really it isn't a great deal.

Now one does have to buy 75 points to get full perks. Would I do that? Only if I wanted a small contract anyway. I'm not sure I find the perks to be worth the extra money spent. If you are a larger family getting the APs (and wanting Gold instead of Platinum) then I can see it maybe paying itself sooner than later. I haven't done math to figure out TIW as well to see what you would need.

In general perks come and go. We like the AP discount but in general if I were to buy now for the first time and over 100 points? Hands down I'd do resale.

Phonedave

I agree, using the points for cruises is a poor use of points. Though many do it and love it (not going to judge) but really it isn't a great deal.

Now one does have to buy 75 points to get full perks. Would I do that? Only if I wanted a small contract anyway. I'm not sure I find the perks to be worth the extra money spent. If you are a larger family getting the APs (and wanting Gold instead of Platinum) then I can see it maybe paying itself sooner than later. I haven't done math to figure out TIW as well to see what you would need.

In general perks come and go. We like the AP discount but in general if I were to buy now for the first time and over 100 points? Hands down I'd do resale.

I have 160 points direct and 50 resale, so I have the perks. I like the perks, but would I buy direct again, I don't think so. I like the perks, but I don't think I like them that much. Especially at today's direct prices.

There was a time when TiW was a no-brainer. Back when it was $50 (and was Disney Dining Experience) and there were fewer discounts available just for being a DVC member, it was easy to justify. But now, with the price of TiW, and the potential "free" DVC discounts, it's harder to justify.

correcaminos

I have 160 points direct and 50 resale, so I have the perks. I like the perks, but would I buy direct again, I don't think so. I like the perks, but I don't think I like them that much. Especially at today's direct prices.

There was a time when TiW was a no-brainer. Back when it was $50 (and was Disney Dining Experience) and there were fewer discounts available just for being a DVC member, it was easy to justify. But now, with the price of TiW, and the potential "free" DVC discounts, it's harder to justify.

Ah yes, the DDE! I used that often. Again back then it was a no-brainer! Once it crept up to $100 or so, we stopped getting it. Our eating habits had changed as well (bring a baby along and you eat differently LOL). Last year we had the AP discount thanks to DVC and that gave us 20% off of all the dining we went to. That was wonderful. Even with the 10% it makes it hard for us.

I do know those who drink more or eat out more will find it worth it. We just don't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom