DVC Member Lounge Coming to Imagination!

note2001

I just hope they reopen the Rainbow tunnel.
I'd like to see this open too, but this wasn't in the plans we saw, and connects off to another set of rooms that will not be open per that plan.

My primary concern is in regards to the AC and ventilation up there in the pyramid. The heat up there (in April) used to be so stifling so that no one wanted to hang out in the pyramid for very long. I can't imagine it in the summer months.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The bulk of the DVC owners do not expect perks. They bought into a real estate agreement knowing all that is guaranteed them is accommodations for the length of the contract and an 11 month out booking window to help them reserve their home resort. It is a long term commitment from both DVC to maintain the properties for the owners, and from the owners to keep paying the maintenance. You will hear some scream loudly when things like free valet are taken away, but the understanding is there that those are just perks, perks change, and no one in their right mind bought into DVC due to the perks.

AP holders on the other hand are mostly fly-by-night types. They buy their passes when it is most convenient for them financially, often skipping over years to get the most for their money. There is no commitment to Disney once purchased, however Disney must provide access to the parks for one year per the agreement. Then the perks added in on top are expected, and arguments are made that the pass was purchase due to those perks.

Would it be nice to see an AP lounge on property? Of course, but the moment Disney tries to close down that lounge there will be screaming like you've never heard before.

No as a DVC member I don't expect extra 'perks' what I DO expect is that the resorts will be maintained properly and everything in the room WORKS when I check in, Recently Disney has not seemed to be able to achieve either of those things WRT DVC accomodations.

bgraham34

I'd like to see this open too, but this wasn't in the plans we saw, and connects off to another set of rooms that will not be open per that plan.

My primary concern is in regards to the AC and ventilation up there in the pyramid. The heat up there (in April) used to be so stifling so that no one wanted to hang out in the pyramid for very long. I can't imagine it in the summer months.

Thats a real bummer no rainbow tunnel , kids would just love to walk through there.

I don't ever remember there being an issue when i was there in my younger days. But then again i was a kid.

MadMax11

My father is a DVC member. He and my mom are choosing not to go to WDW this year, so my family is using their points at OKW. Would we be able to get into this lounge? If so, what would we have to show to get in? Blood test? Family tree? Affidavit of heirship? Family crest?

doctornick

My father is a DVC member. He and my mom are choosing not to go to WDW this year, so my family is using their points at OKW. Would we be able to get into this lounge? If so, what would we have to show to get in? Blood test? Family tree? Affidavit of heirship? Family crest?

Officially, I don't think you'd be allowed to go. But practically speaking, if you borrowed your father's DVC card to show at the entrance, I would imagine that would be sufficient -- I doubt they'd cross check it with a photo ID.

KDM31091

It would be nice to see the Rainbow Tunnel reinstated although I highly doubt it will happen. More likely it will just be walled off and/or demolished. It's been sitting up there for ~20 years with no maintenance and technology has moved on. A newer version would probably use LEDs and not be worth the money to retrofit. They could build a new version of it, but I just don't see it happening.

It kind of irks me that they're just gonna wall off the perimeter and act like those older exhibits never existed. Since they are bothering to use the space, why not wipe the slate clean? The old stuff isn't coming back, so it's time to move it into history, IMO.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Legally, no, but if you have your father's id and they don't ask for a photo id, you can probably get in. I guess people's moral compass really has gone off kilter in recent years. :(

note2001

Legally, no, but if you have your father's id and they don't ask for a photo id, you can probably get in. I guess people's moral compass really has gone off kilter in recent years. :(
I saw madMax11's question as a perfectly valid one. He is the son of an owner, staying on his father's points and certainly doesn't sound like he is considering trashing or abusing the place. He's just curious to see what it is.

I wonder how crowded the lounge will become.

As an HP employee, I saw the HP lounge greatly underutilized. More often than not we were the only ones there. But then, how many HP employees were in the area and knew about the lounge?

I suspect the DVC lounge will be well used as there are large numbers of DVC owners around at any given time and Disney has already started to make this location known.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I saw madMax11's question as a perfectly valid one. He is the son of an owner, staying on his father's points and certainly doesn't sound like he is considering trashing or abusing the place. He's just curious to see what it is.

As an HP employee, I saw the HP lounge greatly underutilized. More often than not we were the only ones there. But then, how many HP employees were in the area and knew about the lounge.

The DVC lounge on the other hand will be significantly more used as there are large numbers of DVC owners around at any given time and Disney has already started to make this known.
Doesn't matter if he is the perfect guest and cleans up afterwards without trashing the place. The problem is legal - all DVC perks are ONLY for those that are listed on the contract. No one else. Some don't like that rule, but it is what it is. A previous thread had people complaining that they should be able to get the DVC discounts, since they were staying on their parents points. Sorry, but it isn't legal. It really has no bearing on whether or not it will under-utilized by DVC folks, it only has to do with can they legally go there, and the answer is no.

If his father wants him to receive the perks, he can add them to the contract, and he will get his own membership card. That is the only way to do it the right way.

PlaneCrazy1978

The bulk of the DVC owners do not expect perks. They bought into a real estate agreement knowing all that is guaranteed them is accommodations for the length of the contract and an 11 month out booking window to help them reserve their home resort. It is a long term commitment from both DVC to maintain the properties for the owners, and from the owners to keep paying the maintenance. You will hear some scream loudly when things like free valet are taken away, but the understanding is there that those are just perks, perks change, and no one in their right mind bought into DVC due to the perks.

AP holders on the other hand are mostly fly-by-night types. They buy their passes when it is most convenient for them financially, often skipping over years to get the most for their money. There is no commitment to Disney once purchased, however Disney must provide access to the parks for one year per the agreement. Then the perks added in on top are expected, and arguments are made that the pass was purchase due to those perks.

Would it be nice to see an AP lounge on property? Of course, but the moment Disney tries to close down that lounge there will be screaming like you've never heard before.

Don't forget that a lot of DVC are also AP...Like me. So between the two, I "hope" for perks, but never expect them. To me, having an AP and getting a room when I want to go to the parks is perks enough for me. Things like a lounge or a night safari are just bonus things.

note2001

Don't forget that a lot of DVC are also AP...Like me. So between the two, I "hope" for perks, but never expect them. To me, having an AP and getting a room when I want to go to the parks is perks enough for me. Things like a lounge or a night safari are just bonus things.
Right. We also need to remember the number of AP holders greatly outweighs the number of DVC owners on site during normal park operating hours. An AP holder lounge would need to be substantially larger than one built for DVC.

In my opinion, the best DVC perk ever was the Free ride-along over at the speedway back in 2010. My daughter loved this, and it's something I never would have paid for her to do. Can you imagine them trying to keep up with demand if they had offered that to the AP holders?

Last edited:

EOD K9

I believe they ask for patents of nobility.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

As an HP employee, I saw the HP lounge greatly underutilized. More often than not we were the only ones there. But then, how many HP employees were in the area and knew about the lounge?

I suspect the DVC lounge will be well used as there are large numbers of DVC owners around at any given time and Disney has already started to make this location known.

HP had/has a lounge at WDW???

cr3346

Doesn't matter if he is the perfect guest and cleans up afterwards without trashing the place. The problem is legal - all DVC perks are ONLY for those that are listed on the contract. No one else. Some don't like that rule, but it is what it is. A previous thread had people complaining that they should be able to get the DVC discounts, since they were staying on their parents points. Sorry, but it isn't legal. It really has no bearing on whether or not it will under-utilized by DVC folks, it only has to do with can they legally go there, and the answer is no.

If his father wants him to receive the perks, he can add them to the contract, and he will get his own membership card. That is the only way to do it the right way.

That horse, incredibly high.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
That horse, incredibly high.
:D Yup. We will always follow the rules, even when we disagree with them. Just how we were brought up back in the day. I know it's passe nowadays as lots of people seem to think, well, I don't like that rule, so it's OK if I don't follow it. Just not us.

raven

I just hope they reopen the Rainbow tunnel.

It would be nice to see the Rainbow Tunnel reinstated although I highly doubt it will happen. More likely it will just be walled off and/or demolished. It's been sitting up there for ~20 years with no maintenance and technology has moved on. A newer version would probably use LEDs and not be worth the money to retrofit. They could build a new version of it, but I just don't see it happening.

It kind of irks me that they're just gonna wall off the perimeter and act like those older exhibits never existed. Since they are bothering to use the space, why not wipe the slate clean? The old stuff isn't coming back, so it's time to move it into history, IMO.

The Rainbow Tunnel is located back further than where they are building the lounge. The rooms just past it have been gutted but no renos have been done.

In mission space. I don't know any of the details though or if it is still open.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/corpo...feb2009-hp-mission-space-corporate-lounge.htm

They built a separate entrance building with a second floor and even a working elevator for that lounge but the interior was never complete (stone walls, unfinnished floor, exposed rafters and wiring). You can see it during busier seasons when they extend the line back around to the right of the main entrance for M:S.

The working lounge can be seen through the windows above the queue area where the Gravity Wheel is located.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

As been made abundantly clear in some other threads. Immediate family are not DVC members. So none of those things would help.

KDM31091

The Rainbow Tunnel is located back further than where they are building the lounge. The rooms just past it have been gutted but no renos have been done.

Ok, so all of the former Imageworks exhibits are essentially gone, then? Besides the Tunnel?

I'm half sad and half happy that they finally put the stuff out of its misery of sitting and rotting.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I believe the Merry Mixer is open to all DVC members too, they only look at our membership cards, not the wristbands. (This is one of the reasons they're adding an expiration date to the cards, so that former members can no longer just hop in line with an old card and be admitted.)

Are former DVC members a real problem at the DVC events, Most that I've attended have been 'thinly' attended to say the least, especially since the 'no questions will be allowed Annual Meeting format started'

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom