DVC in California

yedliW

Original Poster
JetBlue just announced they will be starting direct service from our area to LAX, and we were thinking of making our next trip out to DL. Checking the point charts, a studio at the grand californian are reasonable. How many do they have? Is it hard to get a reservation at the 7 month mark?

Has anyone here used points out there? Is the procedure pretty much the same as in Florida?

Tom

Beta Return
The procedure is exactly the same - you just go online to book, or call DVC, at the 7-month mark.

We've stayed there once, in a 1BR. I know they don't last long, since it's popular and many owner book at 11 months. But it's not impossible to get at 7 months, unless you're going during a peak time.

Studios are traditionally harder to get at most DVC resorts because they book up quickly (fewest points). They get easier the larger the room.

The Grand Californian is awesome though. We won't take a trip out there again unless we're able to secure a 1BR there. It's very similar to Wilderness Lodge & Villas - same atmosphere, similar lobbies, etc. But the direct entrance into DCA is extremely handy, and the walk to Disneyland park isn't bad either - very leisurely stroll through Downtown Disney.

JaxFLBear

Checking the point charts, a studio at the grand californian are reasonable. How many do they have?
GCV consists of:
23 Dedicated Two Bedrooms
23 Lockoff Two Bedroom (Each can be booked separately as One Bedroom + Studio)
2 Three Bedroom Grand Villas

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I booked a two bedroom for a trip in 2014. I booked right on the day of the 7-month opening and had no problem. I did have back up plans for the two following weeks, but did not have to use them. Did a Sunday to Friday stay.

dreamfinder

It can be tough to get into. Our trip to DLR for the 1/2 marathon out there, I was only able to get the last night in DVC, the other nights I had to bite the bullet and book hotel rooms. Admittedly labor day is going to be a bit more popular than a random week, but as pointed out the number of DVC units is small.

EOD K9

In 2009 I booked two nights on points for regular GC before the villas were built. In 2012 I stayed in a 1BR park view which was awesome. As others said, procedure is the same and it gets easier to book with a bigger room. The direct entrance to DCA is pretty sweet too. I actually stayed there before I stayed at the VWL, so for me, the WL had a GC vibe to it. Enjoy it if you can.

PlaneCrazy1978

We went in 2014. It is very hard to get a room unless you book right up at the 7 month mark (there just aren't a lot). Like others said, the direct entrance is a huge plus, except when I went there was all that construction was going on in Condor Flats. Which blocked of a huge path and required walking all the ay around the park to reach the newly refurbed parts.

Have fun!

UofMGuy423

We love GCV and stayed in a 1BR on our last trip back in January. We had to book right on the 7 month window. We were trying for a studio, but they were already gone, so we went with a 1BR. We were glad we did as we ended up enjoying having the extra space. Unlike WDW where we rarely returned to the room, we were back and forth in our room a lot because of how convenient it was to return to it since both parks are within walking distance. We booked the first week of January, which was the last week of the Christmas celebration.

jpittore1

You can exchange your points and stay at the Disneyland Hotel. We did that a few years back and didn't have to be on a waitlist. They just remodeled within the last 4 years. Less stress for our family and we loved it. We could walk to Downtown Disney and the Park monorail.

wishiwere@wdw

This was a challenge for us last year when trying to book a two bedroom 7 months out for a July/August trip. I literally went to the computer every morning for a week before finally getting our room. Fortunately we weren't strapped with specific dates but it was still stressful. That said, what a great place to stay!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom