DVC for dummies?

copcarguyp71

Original Poster
First off, sorry if this seems like a stupid question. We are thinking (probably in the long term) of DVC for our family but I was wondering if there is a website or information anywhere that explains the buy-in and all of the nuances in an easy to understand format. I have been reading through the forum and my head starts to spin at some point and I get the "million mile stare".

We did sit down at a DVC introduction back in '06 at WL but I am not sure the cast member was very good at their job as I could just not wrap my head around the program and we did not get to (nor was it offered) view any villas or properties.

I am a natural born skeptic so I really need to see things laid out in terms of value for the money in addition to all of the costs initially and long-term before even considering a purchase like this. Thanks for looking at my post and sorry if this all seems like old news.

dreamfinder

Start here -> http://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/about/

That's the official story line. Beyond that, its a point based timeshare system. So instead of buying a set week, you buy points. You can then use those points to reserve rooms for your stay. Point value can depend on room size, time of year, and the resort in question.

You have the initial upfront point purchase, and then yearly dues (currently approx $5/point, but vary by resort). You can buy either direct from Disney (like buying a new house) or on the resale market (like buying an existing house). Direct from Disney you will need to buy 100 points (they may say 150, but will almost always cave to 100), and they are currently charging around $120 per point, and are only selling certain resorts. Resale, you may be able to find a deal for 25 points (smallest possible), but often 100 or 120 points. Those points will often range from $50 to $110 per point, depending on resort and contract size.

Will it make financial sense? You would need to figure that out yourself. You are locking in your vacation dollars for 30-40 years (length of most DVC contracts), and committing to the yearly dues payment. We happen to be breaking even in about 8-9 years, but some people don't break even for 25 years. Depends on your costs and when/where you can travel.

Avenger117

I have read about DVC a few times and it seems like the most confusing thing. I still don't think I fully get it. Its also just the commitment that I didn't like. I did listen to a podcast that talked about renting DVC points and that seems cool. I would love to stay at some fo the DVC's without having to buy-in.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I have read about DVC a few times and it seems like the most confusing thing. I still don't think I fully get it. Its also just the commitment that I didn't like.

Then a timeshare or DVC is not for you. It's not a 'club' you should want to be part of just to be 'in' - it's a financial commitment to vacation with Disney.

I would love to stay at some fo the DVC's without having to buy-in.

Just stay at the adjacent deluxe resort.. same thing :) But yes, renting is an option for those who like the room styles the DVC resorts offer.

Avenger117

Then a timeshare or DVC is not for you. It's not a 'club' you should want to be part of just to be 'in' - it's a financial commitment to vacation with Disney.

Just stay at the adjacent deluxe resort.. same thing :) But yes, renting is an option for those who like the room styles the DVC resorts offer.

I was talking more about Aulani and Vero Beach. But I actually really like the DVC at Old Key West too!

copcarguyp71

Original Poster
First off thank you all for the constructive and non-critical comments.

Perhaps the DVC may not be for us though. If the past three years has taught me anything it is humility with regard to budgeting. DW lost her very good paying job after 10 years with her company due to "corporate reorganization" which was a nice way of saying "we can get someone younger and cheaper to do it". It happened three days before Christmas two years ago and with ZERO warning. She was able to find another job but it took about a year and with a pretty substantial pay cut though. If this has taught me one thing it is to be careful at all times regardless of how secure you feel especially in this economy. I would rather budget from year to year based on current income and cash surplus than theorize about where our finances will be a month, a year or even ten years from now. This is just our own personal situation and I know everyone feels differently and I only say this to point out how quickly the carpet can get pulled out from under you. Maybe someday though!

copcarguyp71

Original Poster
Start here ->Beyond that, its a point based timeshare system. So instead of buying a set week, you buy points. You can then use those points to reserve rooms for your stay. Point value can depend on room size, time of year, and the resort in question.

So where or how do you find out how many points you need at each resort for any given time period? We absolutely LOVE our Disney vacations but this all seems so cryptic. Plus a maximum 15% increase per year on maintenance fees (yes I know it is historically way below that) makes me pretty nervous.

JustInTime

The OP requested real information on DVC, not unintelligent comments!

Ironic you post about intelligence in a thread for dummies. "Calling all dummies, wwwd, step right up!" If you can't take a simple joke, don't bother replying.

Disneykidder

We struggled for a long time on whether or not is was right for our family. We finally joined this summer and we are so excited. We really wish we had joined ten years ago when I first requested info. Financially, it does make sense for us. Don't listen to the haters or nay-sayers(not on this thread...just in general). You need to do the math and compare it to how YOU travel.

Check out the great web sites people mentioned above and if you have any specific questions, ask them here and we can help. :)

pixargal

Your situation sounds similar to ours. We looked into DVC back in 2004, but never bought in. What finally made us pull the trigger was that we discovered the resale market and could finally afford to pay cash for our purchase. No financing. Meanwhile, I did a lot of reading and researching and became very familiar with DVC. I knew where I wanted to own, how many points I would need, etc. Another great website for DVC information is the disboards.com. They have a section devoted to purchasing DVC. Good luck, remember everyone's situation is different and what works for some may not work for your family.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom