Drones may be used in Disney Parks in the future.

coachwnh

Could they legally utilize them over the water in an AK Rivers of Light show? Or similarly @ Epcot over the lagoon? Launched from an island or shore location to never pass over a spectator position?
I just read an article online about this and I told my wife the same thing. It could very well be for the AK show.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Over water and away from guest areas? Any chance we see these used at Fantasmic? Illuminations and Rivers of Light make sense as well.

I'm thinking of new options as well. Opens up a lot of interesting ideas for Seven Seas Lagoon, Crescent Lake and the lake at Disney Springs.

Last edited:

boufa

Over water and away from guest areas? Any chance we see these used at Fantasmic? Illuminations and Rivers of Light make sense as well.

In the terms of "away from guest areas" Illuminations and the Rivers of Light show, likely wouldn't qualify. The idea is that if they lost control of a drone, would it possibly hit a guest... In those 2 locations, they would still likely be considered too close. I agree that is seems a bit insane, but imagine the headlines if they dropped a drone, even on the shore right in front of guests at Epcot.

Someone would have to do the math.. but a drone moving slowly at say 100 ft up falling from the sky at a 25 degree angle, would travel how far horizontally until it hit the ground. Quite a ways I would imagine, a few hundred feet. (about 4 feet of horizontal movement for each foot vertical... I think, so approx 400 feet... 133 yards, and that would be assuming it was unpowered. Powered would potentially go further.)

brb1006

Am I the only person who imagine the drones to look and work like to the Pinocchio segment in Disneyland's version of Fantasmic?

Jahona

"Flixels staff must wear safety glasses, a hard hat, and high visibility vests."

reading the article instead of skimming it this time. That part just made me scratch my head. This sounds like a construction zone than an automated flying vehicle crew.

halltd

If you read the filing in its entirety, the safety zones and fail safes are clearly laid out...even with graphics. I wouldn't see why Illuminations or RoL couldn't be possibilities. Weirdly enough, it shows the body of water by The Odyssey as an example, though.

boufa

If you read the filing in its entirety, the safety zones and fail safes are clearly laid out...even with graphics. I wouldn't see why Illuminations or RoL couldn't be possibilities. Weirdly enough, it shows the body of water by The Odyssey as an example, though.

I will admit to not researching it that far. This being the case I withdraw my previous post.... however I will leave it unedited so as to draw the appropriate amount of ridicule...lol.:in pain:

zweltar

I will admit to not researching it that far. This being the case I withdraw my previous post.... however I will leave it unedited so as to draw the appropriate amount of ridicule...lol.:in pain:
There are honourable members amongst the throngs! (English spelling for classiness)

Sped2424

tumblr_ml69fmEccV1qd9lslo1_250.gif

ANYONE ELSE THINKING IT?

ABQ

It's sounding like we may see drones sooner rather than later in some show. I'm thinking Rivers of Light?
Makes the most sense for that show than any other. When dealing with the very limited launch/flight restrictions, 100 feet from guests, etc..etc.. would be very tough for them to be utilized at the MK. Epcot has some possibilities, but if it can't be over the lagoon, just thinking due to the fireworks taking place and possible fallout impacting drone flight, unless used during the Order segment of Illuminations while the globe makes its way out in conjunction with the fountain display and lack of pyrotechnics. It would be awkward if they flew over the waterway shown in the imagery next to the Odyssey. ROL makes perfect sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom