Driving stright down are we crazy?!?!

brisem

We do the straight drive all the time--Just my wife and I drive. Not bad as long as you hit the Beltway at night. The hardest part is when you first day there. The kids are excited and you want to rest. We usually stay by the pool for the first day and then how everyone feels head to the park at night.

We'll be doing it again this year, leaving on 4/16.

See you all on the road down

CP_alum08

My family and I have done it. We are from MI, so for us it's close to 24 hours. We have actually done it multiple times. Like other people have said, its not too bad except that you are all very tired the next day (even the ones that didn't drive.) The key is making it fun, even if it takes you a couple extra hours. We take I-75 almost the entire way so there are tons of exits with things to do, even if they are not Disney related its still nice to get out, stretch, and see different things. Good luck!

Mikester71

Em, I am from Massachusetts too, right near the CT border. Hello from Monson! :)

We are driving down too, in April. Maybe we can pinch eachother on the way down to stay awake. At least a game of punch buggy?!

Honestly, I'm starting to get bummed about the ride down. Long story - short, the 6 of us in a minivan wouldn't be THAT bad, b/c there'd be an empty seat between all parties (van seats 8) BUT my 21yo daughter is bringing her boyfriend, and I'm afraid it's going to be cramped back there for such a long ride. 21 hours straight, and really, who can do 'straight?' I told the family we were all wearing leg-bags lol. I don't ride real well (carsick) but I drive ok. I'll wear a scopalmine patch if I can get my hands on one. We've done 9 hours to Virginia. Funny thing is, every time I take a long trip, the ride home goes by much faster. Kind of just the opposite of the above poster. I've always wondered why. Maybe I don't "do" well with anticipation!

So....when are you going? And yes, we may be crazy. Prolly gonna do it anyway though, so we should at least wish eachother good luck. :)

We have about a 21 hour drive down too from up here in Canada and we usually take the I-75 all the way down from Michigan. There are 6 of us in a minivan too (5 adults and 1 teen who is bigger than the adults :ROFLOL:)! We stop for stretch breaks and to eat and gas up and that, and usually stop in Adel, Georgia for the night. We get there around 9pm or so and get a good night's sleep and start out the next morning rested and refreshed around 8am or so. Usually get to Pop Century in WDW just after lunch and hit up DTD that day and save the next day (our first full day) to hit the parks running (usually MK first day)!

Good luck with the upcoming trip!! :wave: And oh yeah, the ride home always seems to go quicker for me too for some reason! Can't really figure out why! :shrug:

trixie21

Did this 2 years ago with DH, DS & DD. We were coming from Ontario, Canada and stopped on the way down in Georgia. On the way home, we went straight thru - probably abour 22 hrs. Tiring and only 2 drivers but we managed.

FireChiefGoofy

I drive straight thru from Delaware all the time. I do all of the driving because DW would end up in Arizona if I let her drive :ROFLOL:. No sense of direction.

SamnDawn060304

Hello everyone!

We are driving in Nov but only because there are 17 of us! 3 vehicles and 8 drivers so we can switch around. We are in Martinsburg WV an hour and 1/2 outside of Baltimore, MD. It takes us 18 hours with all the stops and starts. I was thinking about booking rooms in Florence, SC for an overnight then finishing the trip to Orlando the next day.

Has anyone every stayed at a nice motel there that has outside access to the rooms so we can unload and load easily? BTW we are leaving on 11/19 leaving on 12/04 so we have plenty of time to get over the trip down.

So what you think drive straight down or stay overnight?:shrug:

Mikester71

Did this 2 years ago with DH, DS & DD. We were coming from Ontario, Canada and stopped on the way down in Georgia. On the way home, we went straight thru - probably abour 22 hrs. Tiring and only 2 drivers but we managed.

Our story EXACTLY...only add in mother-in-law and brother!!! Just my wife and I sharing driving duties too. Next year we have already decided we won't be driving straight through on the way home though. It took a toll on my mother-in-law's legs due to a medical condition she has. Going to take an extra day or so to get home.

cemeb4dk

Ok we always drive straight down from Chicago, but this next trip we are going to stop. I am thinking right around the Georgia/Florida border. This way once we get up we only have a 3 hour or so drive. Any suggestions for a decent area to stay in around that area on I75

yensid67

We are from Massachusetts (about 15 minutes from CT) we have drove to florida every time we go to disney/ However, this trip we will have 4 people who can drive. So instead of staying in a hotel in SC or GA, should we just drive straight down? Is 21 hours in a car with only bathroom and food breaks to long? has anybody done this before?

I agree with post #2, I drive from PA to FL with just me driving all the way straight down. I have found that if you stop every 4-5 hours to get out stretch, gas up even though you don't need it, grab a snack and go to bathroom it relly breaks up the time in the car and makes it more enjoyable. If I were travelling with 3 others though, I would plan to leave no later than 9pm and try to make you last stop for the night around 1-2am so the others can get some sleep, so that around 7am someone can replace you as driver! and then pick up every 4 hours from there on to FL!
The car can be cramped but if the driver for the next leg comes from the back seat(since there is more room and they would get more sleep), you shold not have a problem. Make it a fun time in the car with 4 people...play games that you can play while driving like Alphabet game or other word or concentration games that won't take your eyes off the road!
Just make sure that if you are driving and you need to stop to rest for awhile at a rest stop to give in and do it! Its amazing what a few minutes will do for you! If you do drive straight through, make sure you plan for the next full day to be one of rest and lounging around, unless you want to take in an early closing park like AK or DHS!

Have a great time!

Will :wave:

yensid67

Hello everyone!

We are driving in Nov but only because there are 17 of us! 3 vehicles and 8 drivers so we can switch around. We are in Martinsburg WV an hour and 1/2 outside of Baltimore, MD. It takes us 18 hours with all the stops and starts. I was thinking about booking rooms in Florence, SC for an overnight then finishing the trip to Orlando the next day.

Has anyone every stayed at a nice motel there that has outside access to the rooms so we can unload and load easily? BTW we are leaving on 11/19 leaving on 12/04 so we have plenty of time to get over the trip down.

So what you think drive straight down or stay overnight?:shrug:

I am in Hagerstown/Chambersbrug area and have driven MANY times! If you are driving from Martinsburg then its no different than my post earlier My post is #53 or somewhere there! I have thought about stopping and staying but when you think you really only have about 3-4 hours before you are at WDW it dosn't make sense to stop and sleep and have that extra expense! BUT you do have 17 going, hmmm?:veryconfu If you have little ones, make them comfortable for an overnight trip in a car, or van where they can sleep in sleeping bags! if its pre teens and above in a car or van, then by all mean drive straight through! BUT again, use your first FULL day in Florida to rest and lounge around or go to a park that closes early.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom