Driving Directions

daisyduckie

Original Poster
I am probably going to be renting a car for the first time in forever. Taking my dad to WDW and he simply cannot stand on a bus. Is there a site, or how do you all get your directions for going from resort to park and back? I thought I heard to avoid using a gps or mapquest, is that right?

lazyboy97o

The problem some people have with map services is that they sometimes pull up an access point that is not the parking lot and/or send you along backstage roads.

On property there is signage for everything. The big thing is to not hurry. Some signs are less clear with their intent, but there should always be a way back. Mapping to the parking lots shouldn't take you always that differ greatly from the signs.

jonabyte

I am probably going to be renting a car for the first time in forever. Taking my dad to WDW and he simply cannot stand on a bus. Is there a site, or how do you all get your directions for going from resort to park and back? I thought I heard to avoid using a gps or mapquest, is that right?

Where are you staying? I try to look at google maps before I go. There are a lot of signs, but sometimes it does get a bit confusing, I try not to rush as well if I am not sure where I am.

daisyduckie

Original Poster
Where are you staying? I try to look at google maps before I go. There are a lot of signs, but sometimes it does get a bit confusing, I try not to rush as well if I am not sure where I am.

We are staying at the Swan for the first time.

jonabyte

Have you looked at google maps yet, you can see that the Swan is beside Epcot and west of Disney Springs. Just take a look so you can see how it's laid out.
BTW, I've never had much luck with a gps in the parks.

anchorman314

I'd definitely stay away from GPS, and I'd be very careful with any other sort of turn-by-turn app (Google Maps, Waze, etc.) that uses a hotel and park as starting and ending points. Many of the reference points are either at the park's entrance or the center of the park/resort, throwing off the routing. For example, I just tried using Google Maps for directions from the Swan to DHS. The proposed route is out to World Drive, south to Osceola, and left into the park's main drive, stopping just after the parking booth, and walking through the park to get to the main gate. In reality, the park's back entrance is just east of the Swan entrance on Buena Vista Drive. If you have a navigation app. that you can set exact starting and ending points on a map, that should suffice. But your best bet is to look at a map to get your bearings, and use purple signs all over the property.

jonabyte

I guess I should clarify, I use google maps on a desktop - not the app on my phone. I use it as a map, not for driving directions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom