Driving Directions from Atlanta

all41

I’ve never driven to Disney so I need some advice.
On Map Quest from Atlanta, it directs me to cut over to I-95. Why not stay on I-75 and then take the Florida Turnpike? Do they route you away from toll roads? Obviously, I'm looking for the shortest and fastest route!

Any advice from experienced drivers appreciated.

maureen ashton

Yes you can stay on I-75 (you merge left onto the Turnpike so remember to say on the left lanes) and take the Florida Turnpike. You can then proceed on the Turnpike and take an Orlando cut off and proceed south to WDW. (We have never done it this way so someone else may be able to give you better instructions.) We prefer to get off the Turnpike at the very first exit, turn right on the highway and head due south, some of this road is two lanes and has traffic lights, but coming from Canada we find this drive really makes us feel as we have arrived in Florida with the orange groves and fruit stands and after spending hour upon hour on the Freeways it is a nice change. (Coming from Atlanta you may not require this experience.) You will then merge onto the I-192 that leads into Kissimmee and WDW. Once on I-192 watch for the WDW signs you can't miss them. and head north onto the WDW property to your magical vacation.

Upvote 0

Mitzer

Originally posted by all41
I’ve never driven to Disney so I need some advice.
On Map Quest from Atlanta, it directs me to cut over to I-95. Why not stay on I-75 and then take the Florida Turnpike? Do they route you away from toll roads? Obviously, I'm looking for the shortest and fastest route!

Any advice from experienced drivers appreciated.

I live just north of downtown Atlanta and minutes from !-75. The best way is the way that maureen ashton was explaining. You want to go south on I-75 to Wildwood. That is where you will pick up the Florida Turnpike. You go about 40-45 miles on the turnpike, through two tolls (2.50 total) to the I-4 exit. When exiting, do not go toward Orlando...that is away from Disney. Instead head on I4 towards Tampa. You will go maybe about 10 minutes and Disney will have several exits off I-4. The Marketplace exit will be your first, that is exit 68 I believe. They have renumbered the exits a few years ago, but it is close to that number. Anyway, that is the most direct route and easiest to go. Count on it taking about 7 hours from Atlanta with only gas and drive thru stops. Just a note, there is some construction going on I-75 near Macon, GA over the weekends (road construction)...so keep that in mind. We were just at Disney this past weekend and drove down. The traffic was a breeze and the construction only delay us maybe 15 minutes. Have a good and safe trip down and feel free to ask if you need any other help.

Mitzer :wave:

Upvote 0

JEDI1138

Originally posted by maureen ashton
Yes you can stay on I-75 (you merge left onto the Turnpike so remember to say on the left lanes) and take the Florida Turnpike. You can then proceed on the Turnpike and take an Orlando cut off and proceed south to WDW. (We have never done it this way so someone else may be able to give you better instructions.) We prefer to get off the Turnpike at the very first exit, turn right on the highway and head due south, some of this road is two lanes and has traffic lights, but coming from Canada we find this drive really makes us feel as we have arrived in Florida with the orange groves and fruit stands and after spending hour upon hour on the Freeways it is a nice change. (Coming from Atlanta you may not require this experience.) You will then merge onto the I-192 that leads into Kissimmee and WDW. Once on I-192 watch for the WDW signs you can't miss them. and head north onto the WDW property to your magical vacation.

That is the way we always came down to Disney from South Georgia, and it works very well. I-75 to Florida's Turnpike, Exit on Highway 27 South (1st Toll exit - $1.00 toll) [27 is a four lane divided highway, but does have a few lights, just watch posted speed limits], then turn onto Highway 192 to Disney and Kissimmee area (192 starts at highway 27, and is divided four lane as well. It's seven miles to World drive from 27. So just come on down!

Upvote 0

all41

Original Poster
The WDW area driving advice is much appreciated since I've never gone that way.

I wonder why MapQuest (which I have found very reliable for other trips) didn't direct me down I-75? Visually looking at the map the I-75 route seems obvious. That's why I asked here. I knew I'd get good advice!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom