Drinks, the Dining Plan, and more

DisneyBunny

Original Poster
I’m getting so excited (not to mention hungry! :slurp: ) about our dining plan for our trip. (25 more days!)

So I have two dining plan questions for those who’ve tried it, or who are in the “know:”

When using our sit-down meal, we’re entitled to an appetizer. While perusing the menus I see that some restaurants have several sections of appetizers: soups, salads, and just appetizers. Am I correct in assuming that I can chose from any of these categories for my appetizer?

When I’m having a “non-alcoholic drink” at my sit down restaurant, what exactly counts as a “non-alcoholic drink”? Is it just soda? What about iced/hot tea, milk, or coffee? Cappuccino? What about specialty drinks that aren’t alcoholic? Like an Orangina in France, or a smoothie?

And I assume anything in a souvenir glass is a no-go.

Just trying to maximize my dining plan. :D Anybody know?

JPVonDrake

DisneyBunny said:
I’m getting so excited (not to mention hungry! :slurp: ) about our dining plan for our trip. (25 more days!)

So I have two dining plan questions for those who’ve tried it, or who are in the “know:”

When using our sit-down meal, we’re entitled to an appetizer. While perusing the menus I see that some restaurants have several sections of appetizers: soups, salads, and just appetizers. Am I correct in assuming that I can chose from any of these categories for my appetizer?

Yes. You may choice any soup OR salad OR appetizer.

DisneyBunny said:
When I’m having a “non-alcoholic drink” at my sit down restaurant, what exactly counts as a “non-alcoholic drink”? Is it just soda? What about iced/hot tea, milk, or coffee? Cappuccino? What about specialty drinks that aren’t alcoholic? Like an Orangina in France, or a smoothie?

And I assume anything in a souvenir glass is a no-go.

Just trying to maximize my dining plan. :D Anybody know?

Drink choices includes ANY non-alcoholic, non-specialty beverage, meaning that any souvenir cups are out but Shakes and smothies are included.

Hope this helps! :sohappy:

dandaman

Same as VonDrake said. We just got back from using it (and ate over $1500 worth of free food... :lol: ), but I really have nothing else to add to the advice above.
Except, maybe, eat at ESPN Club at the Boardwalk. As if you didn't eat enough food before, the $17 Superbowl Sundae comes with the "dessert" part of the meal! :eek: Oh, if only I knew how to upload pictures... :(

DisneyBunny

Original Poster
dandaman said:
Same as VonDrake said. We just got back from using it (and ate over $1500 worth of free food... :lol: ), but I really have nothing else to add to the advice above.

:eek: $1500 worth of food!! Good gravy! How long did it take you to rack up that bill?

righttrack

$1500 worth of food? Easy. Family of four, 7 days. And I'm not talking eating at the super deluxe restaurants either.

dandaman

Family of 4, 8 days, and we did eat at the super-deluxe restaurants. Main thing was, there was so much food for just a couple of meals. So, that's exactly what we ordered-- only 2 or 3 meals at every sit-down restaurant we ate at. We spent $1060 on table service, $53 on snacks, and around $400 on counter service. We'll put the chefs out of business yet! :lol:

LaughingGravy

dandaman said:
Family of 4, 8 days, and we did eat at the super-deluxe restaurants. Main thing was, there was so much food for just a couple of meals. So, that's exactly what we ordered-- only 2 or 3 meals at every sit-down restaurant we ate at. We spent $1060 on table service, $53 on snacks, and around $400 on counter service. We'll put the chefs out of business yet! :lol:

How do you do the two or three meals for four people at a sit down restaurant on the dining plan? You ask for extra plates? What about drinks?
Details in this regard would be greatly appreciated from anyone who has shared sit down meals on the dining plan.

We're not trying to put the chefs out of business, but if it turns out there is indeed SO much food at a sit down, it would make more sense to share, not waste, and save one or two sit downs for a meal we now have as tentative counter service and use the replaced counter service as a large snack to share and tide us over when our Dinner reservations are on the late side, which is at least a couple of times.

mrwright

my family and i are doing the dining plan in december. my wife and i are wondering if anything on the menu is open to the dining plan? it's just amazing that you can pay $35 per night for the plan and get all of this food.

gstone

Are the tips included in the dining plan? If not, do you get a receipt so you can calculate one for the waiter? Thanks.

LaughingGravy

From what I've read here and elsewhere, everything on the menu is included with the dining plan as well as tips for your servers with the exception of the following:
Some restaurants, Rainforest Cafe, Fulton's Crab House, Swan and Dolphin Resort Restaurants and a couple of others are not included in the plan at all.

No alcoholic beverages unless the unlimited Sangria and Beer at,I think, Mickey's backyard BBQ. "Daddy, why is Mickey carrying you back to the bus?"

I did hear that "meals for two" as far as entrees aren't included, but I would think that's easy for them to put in, so that may not be true. I also don't think adding an extra lobster tail is allowed for Surf and Turf dinners.

Before ordering anything, it would be a good idea to confirm with your server what is not allowed, because you're supposed to tell them at the beginning you are on the dining plan anyway.
Informing them beforehand enables the servers and chefs to all gather in the kitchen, identify who you are, and put a little extra "Disney Love" in your food.:lol::eek: Don't worry about the taste, I think most of it is protein.:eek:

I've read that some people had problems at counter service places in regard to deluxe desserts and side dishes. Table service has apparently been all inclusive with desserts. I don't think extra side dishes are allowed at all.

The servers apparently encourage you to get the highest tab possible, as their tip comes out of it on Disney's dime.

dandaman

mrwright said:
my family and i are doing the dining plan in december. my wife and i are wondering if anything on the menu is open to the dining plan? it's just amazing that you can pay $35 per night for the plan and get all of this food.

I think the only thing unincluded is alcoholic drinks.

dandaman

LaughingGravy said:
How do you do the two or three meals for four people at a sit down restaurant on the dining plan? You ask for extra plates? What about drinks?
Details in this regard would be greatly appreciated from anyone who has shared sit down meals on the dining plan.

Because they give you 1 credit on all 3 meal types (counter, table, snack) per day, we just used 2-3 meals per sitting. The thing is, my dad usually doesn't order a separate meal. He sometimes eats what's left over from the other 3 meals, and makes a meal out of that. They give you a lot of food, so it's very easy to share. No, we don't have to ask for extra plates.

As for the drinks, if we use only three credits, we just get water for the remaining person. That, or (because the remaining person is usually my dad), he orders an alcoholic drink, because you can't get it on the DDP anyway. Might as well get his red wine fix when he can... :lookaroun :lol:

steveNJ

LaughingGravy said:
Some restaurants, Rainforest Cafe, Fulton's Crab House, Swan and Dolphin Resort Restaurants and a couple of others are not included in the plan at all.

BTW if you are going premium they are included, except for swan & dolphin, and a couple nobody cares about anyway. :lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
DisneyBunny said:
:eek: $1500 worth of food!! Good gravy! How long did it take you to rack up that bill?
For me 1 night at California Grill with a party of 5 $250. So $1500 can go real quick.

LaughingGravy said:
From what I've read here and elsewhere, everything on the menu is included with the dining plan
Some items at the higher end restaurants carry a surcharge but it is only a few bucks.

DisneyBunny

Original Poster
Master Yoda said:
For me 1 night at California Grill with a party of 5 $250. So $1500 can go real quick.

Some I tems at the higher end restaurants carry a surcharge but it is only a few bucks.

I guess I never stopped to add it all up, but it's a big savings! And I thought we got a good deal last year with their 2 free nights promo. We stand to rack up quite a bill in free food.... Normally we're on a strict budget when we go - eating at a sit-down is a rare luxury, and normally it's just the entree - no appetizer, no dessert. Otherwise it's counter service all the way, supplemented with munchies we brought in. This will be quite a trip for us!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom