Dragon's Lair the Movie - Crowd Funded Don Bluth & Gary Goldman Hand Drawn Animated Movie

MerlinTheGoat

Original Poster
EDIT- Now funded on Indiegogo, here's the link-
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dragon-s-lair-returns

So I kind of missed this news the first time around.

There was a Kickstarter campaign by Don Bluth and Gary Goldman for a feature length movie adaptation of Dragon's Lair (a classic and groundbreaking laserdisc arcade game from 1983).

Unfortunately the Kickstarter failed to meet its goal of $550,000 (not quite reaching half of that). HOWEVER, they are not giving up and are moving to Indiegogo for a new round, it will launch on December 1st. I'm posting this here in advance of its start in case it helps spread the word.

Don Bluth's films feature stunningly gorgeous hand drawn animation, and they competed against and arguably surpassed some of Disney's own films (particularly in the 80's). Don Bluth actually started out with Disney in the 1950's, assisting with Sleeping Beauty. He left Disney a few years later but returned in the 1970's to work alongside Gary Goldman on the animation for Pete's Dragon, Robin Hood, Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too, and The Rescuers. Don Bluth and Gary Goldman left Disney early in production on The Fox and the Hound, taking several other Disney animators along with them to create their own animated movies. The rest is history and brought them immense success in the 80's and even 90's. Don Bluth and Gary Goldman's team went on to create many gorgeous and beloved classic animated classics such as Secret of NIMH, The Land Before Time, An American Tale, All Dogs Go To Heaven and many others.

Here's the link to the original Kickstarter page for Dragon's Lair the Movie, which is now canceled and awaiting the new Indiegogo page-
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/donbluth/dragons-lair-the-movie/

When the new Indiegogo page arrives I (or someone else) will bump this thread and post it. It has been quite a while since Don Bluth and Gary Goldman have made an animated movie, 15 years. The two have expressed sadness that traditional hand drawn animation is dying and they hope to rekindle the art. Bluth and Goldman also have plans for additional films if Dragon's Lair is successful. So a lot more than just this one movie may be riding on the fundraiser.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

Original Poster
Don't remember about the Saturday cartoon, perhaps. He also did Space Ace as well yes.

If anyone wants an idea of what Dragon's Lair was, it's only about 11 minutes long. It's actually well worth watching a playthrough of it, anyone with a love of old school hand drawn animation should check it out-

It was basically a cartoon short built into an arcade cabinet (on a laserdisc). The animation basically plays on its own, though every so often a flashing indicator will signal the player alerting you to press a button or direction. A modern gaming equivalent would be "quick time events", perform the wrong action and it's game over (and time to feed the machine more quarters). It wasn't much in terms of gameplay to be honest (very polarizing opinions, i myself am not a fan of this kind of gameplay), but it is incredibly fun to watch even as a spectator. The animation was wonderful. And it was very unique considering that most video games of that era looked no better than Pac Man or Donkey Kong.

Don Bluth also made a sequel Dragon's Lair 2, which had incredibly crazy and super creative visuals.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
While I do think this is pretty cool, I'm not really a fan of Bluth's style even though the Secret of Nimh is one of my favorite non-Disney animated movies. I hope if this succeeds Don will move on to his lesser known LaserDisc game, Space Ace

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom