Downtown Disney Hotels

willtravel

Original Poster
Does anyone ever stay at any of the Downtown Disney hotels like Doubletree, Holiday Inn, Hilton or any of those also that I have not mentioned. Which do you prefer?

ratherbeinwdw

Does anyone ever stay at any of the Downtown Disney hotels like Doubletree, Holiday Inn, Hilton or any of those also that I have not mentioned. Which do you prefer?
I've stayed at Hilton and Doubletree. We really like Doubletree. The rooms are large. They are all suites and have just been refurbed. Can't beat the price for what you get. Love having two rooms each with it's own tv.

BigTxEars

Stayed at Buena Vista Palace for work one time. It was nice, very close (3 min walk to DTD) but I do not remember much about it other than that. Lacked a "Disney Theme" type of memory for me. Of course it was work related so it was a different setting than a vacation.

Is one of the Disney resorts that has boat service to DTD an option? FQ or PORS :)

willtravel

Original Poster
Yes it would be an option. I have not done the #'s yet on cost for any of these hotels. Several times I had stayed at Royal Plaza hotel a while back. Michael Jackson had a suite at that hotel. Anyway this was when you would get a coupon in the entertainment book for 50% off. It was a nice hotel. I had heard Buena Vista was nice.

epcotisbest

Have stayed at the Hilton, Wyndham (and when it was the Grosvenor) and Royal Plaza. All nice, and the location made walking over to DTD quick and easy. Liked the Hilton best, but did not like their resort and parking fees. Just charge me more up front. I hate hotel fees.

Rob562

I stayed at the Royal Plaza last June. It was nice, despite it being under renovation at the time. (It recently finished its renovation and was renamed the B Hotel) I was there for a convention at the Holiday Inn next door and I got a much better rate than the Holiday Inn.

I lucked out and booked through Sears Vacations and got a really cheap rate that also had the daily resort fee waived.

The only real drawback was the bus system. It was definitely not as convenient as the Disney buses.

-Rob

willtravel

Original Poster
I stayed at the Royal Plaza last June. It was nice, despite it being under renovation at the time. (It recently finished its renovation and was renamed the B Hotel) I was there for a convention at the Holiday Inn next door and I got a much better rate than the Holiday Inn.

I lucked out and booked through Sears Vacations and got a really cheap rate that also had the daily resort fee waived.

The only real drawback was the bus system. It was definitely not as convenient as the Disney buses.

-Rob
Yes, I remember the last time I stayed in that hotel strip the bus stopped at every hotel and took awhile. I think we were one of the first hotels to get picked up but the last to be let off. It was easier to walk across the street.

Rob562

Yes, I remember the last time I stayed in that hotel strip the bus stopped at every hotel and took awhile. I think we were one of the first hotels to get picked up but the last to be let off. It was easier to walk across the street.

Depending how long ago you went, it may have changed. I stayed at the Best Western for one night many years ago and I remember all the hotels being on a single route. Now for the theme parks they've separated them into two groups, one on each side of the street. So one route covers 4 hotels, the other covers 3.

For each side there's a Magic Kingdom/Animal Kingdom bus and an Epcot/Studios bus. The day we went to the Studios it wasn't too bad having to stop at Epcot first, but the drive to Animal Kingdom tooooookkkk forrrevvvverrrr......with having to drive up to the TTC first. Ugh!

Downtown Disney was the only route where a single bus went to all 7 hotels. Not too bad for the times it was way too hot to walk. The drawback there is that the bus picks up at Downtown Disney at the same place that the College Program buses stop, and they tend to be rambunctious as they get out of work.

-Rob

Killnme

I have stayed at the Hilton great comfort but they nickel and dime you to death. I really like the Holiday Inn and if you are apart of their rewards club you get free late check out. Stayed at the Best Western and it is ok but won't stay there again b/c of a problem with the valet service and I wasn't happy with the hotel's response. We are actually staying at the Wyndham next weekend and only doing Downtown Disney stuff. I like it a lot for the closest to DD.

Disney Dawg88

Have stayed at the Hilton, Wyndham (and when it was the Grosvenor) and Royal Plaza. All nice, and the location made walking over to DTD quick and easy. Liked the Hilton best, but did not like their resort and parking fees. Just charge me more up front. I hate hotel fees.

I agree 100%, resort fees are terrible. From 2008 until sometime in 2012 I stayed at the Hilton once a month for several days when I was down there for work. Sometime in 2012 they started charging the, excuse my language, BS "resort fee". They always charged parking, which is also BS, but increased it a couple dollars when they added the resort fee. I'm a Hilton Diamond member and they gave me a 25%-50% discount off the resort fee, but I always had to ask and they acted as if it was a pain. Unfortunately I had to stop staying there as the resort fee and the parking made the total price of a night stay more than other hotels so I had to start staying elsewhere. Unfortunately they don't mention the fees so they get you to book what you think is a quality hotel at a lower per night price but then you get the add on of the $30+ per night in "fees". BS.

Lisalyn

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Lake Buena Vista this past November and it was nice. It was clean and we had a pool view room towards the top of the hotel so that was cool! The view was gorgeous. The room was clean and anything like extra towels or coffee I requested, they just brought up to me. Something was amiss with housekeeping in the hallways for sure because our take out pizza box we left outside the door (they told me to leave it there) stayed there for 2 full days! I was quite surprised. The front desk staff were extremely nice and the restaurant was good. There is also a Disney oriented store inside. That being said staying off property just was not the same for me as staying onsite. I'm going twice this year so the week in October will be onsite and the 4 nights in December will be off property but we are going to try the Best Western Disney View room. Anyways happy hunting!

NiarrNDisney

I'm thinking of trying the Hilton for a weekend...they are running a weekend special right now. They have their own buses to the parks right?

I thinking you're going to really enjoy it! The Hilton has to have one of the best pools in the World besides the Swan for doing laps plus a couple other pools for kids and relaxing. The restaurants are great and are fairly priced we especially like Benihanas which is so much better and cheaper than Teppan Edo/Tokyo Dining.
They do not have there own bus unfortunately however they do actually share them with the other resorts on Hotel Lane but they are the only property down there that has EMH so that a plus.
Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

MOXOMUMD

We had that issue with the buses before while staying offsite. By the end of the day though we really didn't care. :)

simajanpa

My wife and I just stayed at the Holiday Inn early April 2014 and it was nice. Even with the parking and "fees" it's still way cheaper than staying on the Disney campus. Clean room, and friendly staff, will stay there again in the future, if the price is still right.
No free breakfast though, that can add up fast.
Certainly an easy walk to DTD and buses pick you up right at the hotel and bring you to any of the other parks for free. They run on the half hour.

Also stayed at the Wyndham several years ago with our adult children, and that was nice also. All I can really remember was that we had a sweet view of DTD and we were able to watch fireworks from most of the parks.

willtravel

Original Poster
My wife and I just stayed at the Holiday Inn early April 2014 and it was nice. Even with the parking and "fees" it's still way cheaper than staying on the Disney campus. Clean room, and friendly staff, will stay there again in the future, if the price is still right.
No free breakfast though, that can add up fast.
Certainly an easy walk to DTD and buses pick you up right at the hotel and bring you to any of the other parks for free. They run on the half hour.

Also stayed at the Wyndham several years ago with our adult children, and that was nice also. All I can really remember was that we had a sweet view of DTD and we were able to watch fireworks from most of the parks.
Did they try to get you to sit in on timeshare spiels at Wyndham?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom