Trip Report Double Double Dip Trip June 2017 (Completed!)

Hello all and welcome to my trip report. My husband, Brad, and I just got back from a WDW trip and a Disney cruise on the Dream. Why am I calling it a double double dip? Well, we checked in and out of WDW twice, our cruise was a double dip (2 stops at Castaway Cay), and we had 2 birthdays to celebrate. So sit back and relax and enjoy my trip report.

Dates of vacation: June 18 to July 1

Resort: Pop Century (both times)

Cruise: Disney Dream

Travelers: Me (Amy) and my husband (Brad)

I'm tagging a few people that have followed my past reports. If I missed you, sorry, but please follow anyway. If you are new, welcome. And if I tagged you and you don't want to read, no problem! :)

@figmentfan423 @MinnieM123 @Cesar R M @donaldtoo @MySmallWorldof4 @MOXOMUMD @JenniferS @PacNWTigger @Tuvalu @Gabe1 @betty rose @Songbird76 @sheriffwoody @bee @blgauger @BuddyThomas @fractal @93boomer @MouseDreaming @Wrangler-Rick @PUSH @Mr Ferret 88 @amjt660 @Minnesota disney fan

June 18: Our first day of vacation was not a Disney day. We live near Minneapolis (about 1 hour 15 min from the airport) and we decided to spend the night before at a hotel so we didn't have to get up so early. When my husband got home from work around noon we headed over to Minneapolis and went to one of our favorite spots, the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. We go here a lot and I was hoping to catch the peonies in full bloom but we missed the full bloom by about 4 days. That was disappointing as it is my favorite flower, but there were still some peonies and the roses were blooming nicely. We had a nice time walking around, and a local symphony was giving a concert so we listened to that for a bit. Hubby was pleased when they played a Star Wars medley. So here are some pictures.

The peony walk, as you can see not in full bloom.
IMG_8650.JPG

Some of the roses.
IMG_8653.JPG

IMG_8656.JPG

IMG_8661.JPG

IMG_8665.JPG

The Arboretum often has changing botanical displays and so for these might be my favorite. It is a kaleidoscope and the bowl with the flowers spins, it is fun to look through.
IMG_8666.JPG

IMG_8667.JPG

After the Arboretum we headed to the Mall of America and did the Flying over America attraction since I had a 50% coupon. It is a take on Disney's Soarin. We had done the America version here before and they were running a limited showing of Flying over Canada so we opted for that. It was fine but no Disney. Although the seats at the Mall of America version are more comfortable.

Dinner that night was a the Hard Rock Cafe, we hadn't eaten at a Hard Rock in years. Neither of us could make a decision about where to eat so we settled on this since it was a few steps away from the exit of Flying over America. Now when I say settled, that soon changed when we started eating our burgers, hubs got a special Memphis burger and I had a Guinness burger. We both had herbed fries. And the meal was fantastic. Sorry no food pics of this, perhaps on another visit.

Songbird76

Still some more scenes from the queue
View attachment 217164 View attachment 217165 View attachment 217169 View attachment 217170 View attachment 217171 View attachment 217172

Ok, now for my little review of Flights of Passage. I enjoyed the attraction a lot. I think that the ride vehicle has interesting effects that happen while you are sitting on it that add the to sensation that it is a banshee that you are riding. I think the visual effects and film you watch while riding are really well done. There are other special effects of mist and smells that add to that as well. I could really let myself imagine that I was flying. I was able to ride it two more times that day and I enjoyed each flight. However, on the second ride I noticed the scent a lot more and I wasn't a fan (It smelled a little, to me anyway of a watermelon and rotten banana), it still didn't smell that good on the next flight. There were times where the dipping and movement during the flight made my stomach lurch a little and I never have any issue on rides. I could probably spin in the teacups all day and not get sick. I also felt the 3-D glass were too big and I felt like they were going to fall off, so that disrupted the flight a little too.

With all of that, I really did enjoy the attraction, I will ride again. It is very advanced compared to other types of that ride at Disney and it make me excited to see what Disney will do with the new lands they are developing. I had listened to and read reviews of the ride before going and many of them were so thrilled with the ride and the sensation of flying that they were moved to tears (literally) and that it was so emotional for them. I did not feel that way, no tears were shed by me. I did leaving thinking, "Boy, that is really well done and it will be fun to do it again." Next time I go to WDW it will be a priority to get a fastpass for it, because the lines get so long and it is fun to do, but not necessarily because it is my top ten favorite attractions.

View attachment 217173 View attachment 217177 View attachment 217179 View attachment 217180
Beautiful! And thanks for your review. Curious...for people like me who are afraid of heights, how is the flying sensation? Are you actually up high? Is it more intense than Soarin'? Is there any sensation that you might fall off? I did not go on Soarin' on our first family trip because I was warned not to with a fear of heights. After the encouragement from people on this board to try it and ask to sit in the lowest level, I did and I LOVED it. I rode it about 5 times and I sat in all 3 rows at some point and the highest one is too much for me. How does that compare to this, in your opinion?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm a fan of WDW Radio. I think Lou is a great host and he always has knowledgeable guests. I will say that in the last year it feels a little bit like he's running out of things to talk about, but I still listen every week and really enjoyed the recent interview with Lee Cockerell.

I like when Lou does his DSI's, those in depth episodes about an attraction or whatever were really good, but it has been a while since he has done one of those.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
What is this too much Basin shopping you speak of? I cannot for the life of me imagine such a thing even happening:oops::angelic:

:)I think if I had bought one more thing at Basin I might have had to start layering my clothes on my body on the plane ride back! My suitcase just barely fit the weight limit and that's where most of the Basin stuff was. I think I'm stocked up until March, that's when we will probably be going back.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Beautiful! And thanks for your review. Curious...for people like me who are afraid of heights, how is the flying sensation? Are you actually up high? Is it more intense than Soarin'? Is there any sensation that you might fall off? I did not go on Soarin' on our first family trip because I was warned not to with a fear of heights. After the encouragement from people on this board to try it and ask to sit in the lowest level, I did and I LOVED it. I rode it about 5 times and I sat in all 3 rows at some point and the highest one is too much for me. How does that compare to this, in your opinion?

The flying sensation is more intense than Soarin', that's for sure, however unlike Soarin' you aren't suspend above the ground. You are on a seat that is firmly secured to the floor, there is some motion from the seat but the flying sensation is really through watching the large screen. There are three different levels rows of ride vehicles, and if you look around during the ride you will see everyone lined up. It is like you are all sitting on a stool, locked on at the edge of a balcony, if that makes any sense. I never got the feeling of falling though. The ride vehicle that you sit on is kind of like a motorcycle seat, but your legs get locked in and that is pretty tight. So I think that would help with the feeling of falling off. I have also heard from some people that if they got dizzy or had a falling sensation they just closed their eyes.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
After shopping we went back to the Pop to relax for a bit and then drove over to the Contemporary. Tonight we were having dinner at the California Grill. The plan was to have dinner, watch the fireworks from the balcony, and then walk over to the MK for a little bit. So we parked close to the MK walkway. Let's see how that plan worked out shall we....

But first some wonderful Mary Blair artwork.
IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

I was listening to a podcast (I can't remember which one) and they mentioned the tiles with the signatures of the artists that worked on the mural. So we found that, it was a nice tidbit I hadn't seen or noticed before.
IMG_0182.JPG

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0190.JPG

So then up to the California Grill.
IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

Our table wasn't ready so we sat at the bar and enjoyed a drink while we waited.

IMG_0202.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I had the seasonal fruit margarita (it was blood orange) and Brad had the mai tai.
IMG_0208.JPG

Before we could finish our drinks our table was ready, and we ended up in the same place we had been the last time we ate here. So I guess it is our table now.
IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

View from the table
IMG_0216.JPG

As an appetizer I got a salad, this was really a delicious salad. It was kind of sad when I had eaten it all.
IMG_0219.JPG

Brad got the tuna three ways
IMG_0221.JPG

I also ordered another drink but this time I got the sake martini.
IMG_0225.JPG

It was nice to see the sunset. But as it got darker could see lightning in the distance.
IMG_0227.JPG

I got the oak fired fillet with the black truffle risotto.
IMG_0229.JPG

I think it was the grouper that Brad got. It was something fishy anyway.
IMG_0230.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
As we got nearer to dessert there was more lightning rolling in and our server said that they would be closing the viewing deck shortly because of it. So we went out and took some pictures. .
IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

My coffee
IMG_0251.JPG

warm chocolate cake
IMG_0252.JPG

butterscotch creme brulee
IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

Sure enough shortly after we got back to our table the deck closed. This one "lady" came back in and she was SO mad! She was bound and determined that she was going to watch the fireworks from the balcony and she would wait right by the door to be let out there. She said she had paid all that money for a meal and she was going to watch the fireworks from that balcony. Well, she and your family (of 8 total people) didn't seem to care that waiting there for the balcony blocked our entire view. And the stink that she made was very unsavory. So when our server brought my coffee I asked if anything could be done, could these people wait somewhere else because now even more people were coming to congregate in the area and crowd other tables as well. Our server returned and said they weren't supposed to ask them to move, but she would ask a family nearby (who was at the window) if we could sit with them when the fireworks started since they had open chairs. That family was very gracious and let us sit with them. Well the fireworks were delayed, and delayed, and delayed. The lightning did move off so the balcony opened but it was raining.

The family we were sitting with was very nice and it was fun talking to them. Finally at about 45 minutes after the fireworks were to start we decided to bail. And as we were leaving, guess what started... yep the fireworks. It was still raining very hard so we didn't want to stand out in the rain. So we decided to head out. We watched the fireworks through the trees at the Contemporary bus stop.
IMG_0261.JPG

IMG_0263.JPG

When the fireworks were done we had to make a decision, either run (walk swiftly) to the car through torrential downpour or wait and see if it cleared up at all. So we waited in the lobby for awhile and it did not let up. So we hightailed it to the car, and I was glad I wasn't driving. It was so hard to see. Luckily when Brad pulled out of the Contemporary we got behind a bus and it was clear to see that and follow it a lot of the way back to the hotel. And of course once we got closer to the Pop it wasn't raining anymore. Since we were back earlier than planned we did a quick load of laundry because tomorrow we were sailing away!

Songbird76

The flying sensation is more intense than Soarin', that's for sure, however unlike Soarin' you aren't suspend above the ground. You are on a seat that is firmly secured to the floor, there is some motion from the seat but the flying sensation is really through watching the large screen. There are three different levels rows of ride vehicles, and if you look around during the ride you will see everyone lined up. It is like you are all sitting on a stool, locked on at the edge of a balcony, if that makes any sense. I never got the feeling of falling though. The ride vehicle that you sit on is kind of like a motorcycle seat, but your legs get locked in and that is pretty tight. So I think that would help with the feeling of falling off. I have also heard from some people that if they got dizzy or had a falling sensation they just closed their eyes.
Thanks. I'd love to try it next time we go (who knows when THAT will be). If I'm locked in, I think it should be ok. I guess if it scares me, I just won't go back.

Songbird76

As we got nearer to dessert there was more lightning rolling in and our server said that they would be closing the viewing deck shortly because of it. So we went out and took some pictures. .
View attachment 217308

View attachment 217310

View attachment 217311

View attachment 217318
My coffee
View attachment 217312

warm chocolate cake
View attachment 217313

butterscotch creme brulee
View attachment 217314

View attachment 217315

Sure enough shortly after we got back to our table the deck closed. This one "lady" came back in and she was SO mad! She was bound and determined that she was going to watch the fireworks from the balcony and she would wait right by the door to be let out there. She said she had paid all that money for a meal and she was going to watch the fireworks from that balcony. Well, she and your family (of 8 total people) didn't seem to care that waiting there for the balcony blocked our entire view. And the stink that she made was very unsavory. So when our server brought my coffee I asked if anything could be done, could these people wait somewhere else because now even more people were coming to congregate in the area and crowd other tables as well. Our server returned and said they weren't supposed to ask them to move, but she would ask a family nearby (who was at the window) if we could sit with them when the fireworks started since they had open chairs. That family was very gracious and let us sit with them. Well the fireworks were delayed, and delayed, and delayed. The lightning did move off so the balcony opened but it was raining.

The family we were sitting with was very nice and it was fun talking to them. Finally at about 45 minutes after the fireworks were to start we decided to bail. And as we were leaving, guess what started... yep the fireworks. It was still raining very hard so we didn't want to stand out in the rain. So we decided to head out. We watched the fireworks through the trees at the Contemporary bus stop.
View attachment 217316

View attachment 217317

When the fireworks were done we had to make a decision, either run (walk swiftly) to the car through torrential downpour or wait and see if it cleared up at all. So we waited in the lobby for awhile and it did not let up. So we hightailed it to the car, and I was glad I wasn't driving. It was so hard to see. Luckily when Brad pulled out of the Contemporary we got behind a bus and it was clear to see that and follow it a lot of the way back to the hotel. And of course once we got closer to the Pop it wasn't raining anymore. Since we were back earlier than planned we did a quick load of laundry because tomorrow we were sailing away!
OMG the view!! It would be worth the price of a meal at CG just for that view!! I see this as a possibility in our future. Sorry you didn't get to see the fireworks from there!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thank you for sharing some of those close-ups of the Mary Blair tilework. There is so much DETAIL in that magnificent piece of art, and showcasing some of the little scenes really gave me even more of an appreciation for her lovely, creative vision. As a side note, I have stood in the concourse on more than one occasion, and just stared up in awe. Most people just run through there to get to the monorail, etc. A few times I've seen some "glances" from others looking toward me--they must think I'm goofy, standing there for so long with that "duh" look on my face--just enthralled and completely immersed in the details. :joyfull:

As for the food pix from the Cali Grille--OMG!!! Talk about outstanding presentation. And I'll bet the food was excellent. No wonder it's always rated so highly among the restaurants.

As for the woman who blockaded the fireworks viewing area because she had (paid all this money for a meal there . .. :rolleyes: ) um, did she not think that everyone else had also blown a few paychecks, to eat dinner there that night as well? Some people are just UGLY. :mad:

Songbird76

As for the woman who blockaded the fireworks viewing area because she had (paid all this money for a meal there . .. :rolleyes: ) um, did she not think that everyone else had also blown a few paychecks, to eat dinner there that night as well? Some people are just UGLY. :mad:

That's what I was thinking!!! And she's so determined to get her money's worth that she doesn't care that she's ruining everyone else's dinner and wasting THEIR hard earned cash. But what are you going to do? There are some really rude people in the world.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Drooling over your Cali Grill pictures. :hungry: It's disappointing that people act so inappropriately, especially in a nice setting like Cali Grill. Happy there was a nicer family nearby for you to sit with, but too bad you missed the fireworks! :(

It was just frustrating that they were delayed. But we had already seen the show twice from Main Street and planned to see it again after the cruise so it wasn't too bad.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks. I'd love to try it next time we go (who knows when THAT will be). If I'm locked in, I think it should be ok. I guess if it scares me, I just won't go back.

Might as well give it a whirl when you go back. Just remember it is Disney, nothing is too scary!

OMG the view!! It would be worth the price of a meal at CG just for that view!! I see this as a possibility in our future. Sorry you didn't get to see the fireworks from there!

We have seen fireworks from Cali Grill a few other times, and it is always nice not seeing them from there this time just means we have to go back! :) Maybe when you go back again to WDW the kids will be older and you and your hubs can have a nice date night there while the kids are in one of the parks together.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thank you for sharing some of those close-ups of the Mary Blair tilework. There is so much DETAIL in that magnificent piece of art, and showcasing some of the little scenes really gave me even more of an appreciation for her lovely, creative vision. As a side note, I have stood in the concourse on more than one occasion, and just stared up in awe. Most people just run through there to get to the monorail, etc. A few times I've seen some "glances" from others looking toward me--they must think I'm goofy, standing there for so long with that "duh" look on my face--just enthralled and completely immersed in the details. :joyfull:

As for the food pix from the Cali Grille--OMG!!! Talk about outstanding presentation. And I'll bet the food was excellent. No wonder it's always rated so highly among the restaurants.

I actually thought of you when I was taking the pictures of the Mary Blair tilework, I remembered that you liked those murals. So I was sure you like some pictures of them. The Cali Grill is an amazing meal, although I think the Yachtsman is slightly better for food. And that woman....I had similar thoughts (and others that are not so nice).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom