Trip Report Double Double Dip Trip June 2017 (Completed!)

Hello all and welcome to my trip report. My husband, Brad, and I just got back from a WDW trip and a Disney cruise on the Dream. Why am I calling it a double double dip? Well, we checked in and out of WDW twice, our cruise was a double dip (2 stops at Castaway Cay), and we had 2 birthdays to celebrate. So sit back and relax and enjoy my trip report.

Dates of vacation: June 18 to July 1

Resort: Pop Century (both times)

Cruise: Disney Dream

Travelers: Me (Amy) and my husband (Brad)

I'm tagging a few people that have followed my past reports. If I missed you, sorry, but please follow anyway. If you are new, welcome. And if I tagged you and you don't want to read, no problem! :)

@figmentfan423 @MinnieM123 @Cesar R M @donaldtoo @MySmallWorldof4 @MOXOMUMD @JenniferS @PacNWTigger @Tuvalu @Gabe1 @betty rose @Songbird76 @sheriffwoody @bee @blgauger @BuddyThomas @fractal @93boomer @MouseDreaming @Wrangler-Rick @PUSH @Mr Ferret 88 @amjt660 @Minnesota disney fan

June 18: Our first day of vacation was not a Disney day. We live near Minneapolis (about 1 hour 15 min from the airport) and we decided to spend the night before at a hotel so we didn't have to get up so early. When my husband got home from work around noon we headed over to Minneapolis and went to one of our favorite spots, the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. We go here a lot and I was hoping to catch the peonies in full bloom but we missed the full bloom by about 4 days. That was disappointing as it is my favorite flower, but there were still some peonies and the roses were blooming nicely. We had a nice time walking around, and a local symphony was giving a concert so we listened to that for a bit. Hubby was pleased when they played a Star Wars medley. So here are some pictures.

The peony walk, as you can see not in full bloom.
IMG_8650.JPG

Some of the roses.
IMG_8653.JPG

IMG_8656.JPG

IMG_8661.JPG

IMG_8665.JPG

The Arboretum often has changing botanical displays and so for these might be my favorite. It is a kaleidoscope and the bowl with the flowers spins, it is fun to look through.
IMG_8666.JPG

IMG_8667.JPG

After the Arboretum we headed to the Mall of America and did the Flying over America attraction since I had a 50% coupon. It is a take on Disney's Soarin. We had done the America version here before and they were running a limited showing of Flying over Canada so we opted for that. It was fine but no Disney. Although the seats at the Mall of America version are more comfortable.

Dinner that night was a the Hard Rock Cafe, we hadn't eaten at a Hard Rock in years. Neither of us could make a decision about where to eat so we settled on this since it was a few steps away from the exit of Flying over America. Now when I say settled, that soon changed when we started eating our burgers, hubs got a special Memphis burger and I had a Guinness burger. We both had herbed fries. And the meal was fantastic. Sorry no food pics of this, perhaps on another visit.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday June 25

It's CRUISE day! Soon we will be sailing away, but first we would spend a little time at Hollywood Studios.

Hollywood Studios has early entry that day so that's where we headed. We did have our leftover Yachtsman food for breakfast this morning at the food court at the Pop. The truffle mac and cheese reheated very well as did my rib eye. I let Brad have more of my leftover ribeye and he let me have more of the mac and cheese. Since we now had the rental car we drove to HS and that allowed us to have a good look at the construction happening, sadly I didn't take any pictures.
IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG

First stop....Toy Story
IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

And two dorks on Tower of Terror
PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_8063054394.jpeg

We were able to ride Toy Story, TOT (twice), and Star Tours before official opening. Then we used our fast pass for Toy Story before heading out of the park shortly after 10 am. We had fastpasses for Tower and Tours as well, but we decided not to use them and head to the Port instead. We had a port arrival time of 11:15am, and decided to maximize our time on the ship.

Bye HS!
IMG_0291.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
The drive to the port is only about an hour, and not very scenic. But as you get closer, excitement builds and then you catch that glimpse of the ship and joy abounds!

Can you spot it:?
IMG_0293.JPG

A little closer...
IMG_0295.JPG

And now we have parked in the parking garage and right in front of our car is a Dream! Isn't she beautiful!
IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

Time to go into the terminal.
IMG_0303.JPG

When we cruised in November we arrived at noon and there weren't many people in the terminal. So we were a little shocked when we now had arrived basically an hour earlier than that and the terminal was mobbed of people! But we got through the check-in fairly quick and our boarding group had just been called. So once we found a spot to get in line, people were surrounding the entry area even people that were in later boarding groups, we were soon entering the gangway.
IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

I wish I had this entry to my house!
IMG_0310.JPG

The floor of the terminal has some fun inlaid tiles and if I remember correctly there is a map inlaid of the Bahamas on the floor as well.
IMG_0311.JPG

Just a scan of our Key to the World card and we can get on the ship!
IMG_0312.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Time to board, we didn't want to do the boarding picture (we weren't planning on buying pictures) so we went into the small line on the far right and breezed on through.
IMG_0313.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0318.JPG

And we are on board! By the way today was our 12th anniversary, not a bad way to spend it!
IMG_0319.JPG

We were hungry so we hopped in the elevator and to Cabanas, the buffet, for lunch.
IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0323.JPG

IMG_0326.JPG

And a look back at the cruise terminal
IMG_4448.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Me with the Navigator for the day
DOUBLE DIP CRUISE 010.JPG

At 1:30 we went to our room and I was excited to check it out. I had booked us an extended veranda and I was curious to see it. We were also at the very back of the ship. We have been aft, or at the back the other couple times we have cruised and we like it there. As part of our group cruise fish extenders were included, we also had our print out of our planned activities waiting for us.
IMG_0330.JPG

Our room, sorry it is dark.
IMG_0329.JPG

Yep, this veranda will do nicely!
IMG_0332.JPG

DOUBLE DIP CRUISE 012.JPG

And a look at one of the bathrooms. Bathrooms in most staterooms are split, shower in one little room and toilet in the other and a sink in both sections.
IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

And a look down from the veranda
IMG_0334.JPG

Our luggage came and I was able to decorate our door before leaving for the muster drill. We went with a Wonderland theme. I colored in the decorations.
IMG_4450.JPG

Songbird76

Might as well give it a whirl when you go back. Just remember it is Disney, nothing is too scary!

We have seen fireworks from Cali Grill a few other times, and it is always nice not seeing them from there this time just means we have to go back! :) Maybe when you go back again to WDW the kids will be older and you and your hubs can have a nice date night there while the kids are in one of the parks together.
Date night sounds like a great plan!!
I watched a video from WDW Radio and they showed one of the ride vehicles for FoP, and it doesn't look bad at all. But the video that started after that had 3 people reviewing the ride (without showing any of it) and they all said it was hard to keep the 3D glasses on, which I believe you mentioned? Someone did, so apparently that's a common problem. They also said that if you have problems with motion sickness (I do) you should take some dramamine beforehand. I'll definitely give it a whirl next time. Thanks so much for your insight!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Opps I posted the door decorating a little out of sequence. We actually went up to use Sattelite Falls in the adults section before our luggage arrived and we did muster drill. Oh well.

Before we headed up to the pool sections we passed Vanelope's Sweet Shop, this is an added charge sweet shop so we didn't plan on buying anything. But we did plan on sampling! They are very generous with samples.
IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

A look at the adults only pool and section as we had to Satellite Falls, another adults only area.
DOUBLE DIP CRUISE 013.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG
DOUBLE DIP CRUISE 014.JPG

And into the falls. It was so great that day. No one came into the falls and I think we saw a total of 4 people walking around in that area for the 40 minutes we were up there. It was our own private area. Fantastic!
DOUBLE DIP CRUISE 015.JPG

And a look at the bridge.
IMG_0353.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
After about 40 minutes up there, (pure heaven) we went back to our stateroom to unpack, and get ready for muster drill and then Sail Away. Luckily our muster station was a couple decks below us in one of the lounges so we were able to sit for it. Our last cruise was standing out on deck the entire time. After the muster drill people were flooding the stairways and elevators so we stepped out on deck for a little bit. Then we went back to our room, and I grabbed my beer mug. DCL has a beer mug program where you pay about $15 for the mug and then you get bigger refills for the price of a small beer. When you are done with the mug you can exchange for a clean mug or a card token (and then exchange that when you want a new mug or beer). I've been using this since my first cruise.

Once on deck by the Sail Away I got in line for a beer, in a stand that wasn't bud or bud light. And as I was next in line, after I had been waiting about 5 minutes, I looked to the side for one moment and a guy snuck in line ahead of me. I called him on it and he tried to tell me he had been there in line all along (nope) and that I had just appeared. And he started saying "whatever, whatever, I'm just here for fun." and like I had been the budger in line, he was totally lying and didn't even care. I know it was just a beer line, but those types of people are horrible. It was so irritating but I did get my rightful place in line. It was especially irritating because even after I had been waiting there I was still the last person in line. What a jerkface! I silently wished him an unmagical cruise.

But I had my beer, and it was a good Florida local beer (sorry I can't remember the name) and we met up with our group. And soon we were dancing and singing along with the group at the Sail Away party. I'm just glad jerkface didn't end up being a part of our cruise group.

So anyway, some Sail Away party pictures. The thing about sailing away is it is so smooth you don't even realize for a couple moments that you are actually moving. I know some people skip the Sail Away party, but I think it is a great way to start the cruise. I like the music (the sail away song is so catchy), seeing the characters, and most of all hearing the ship sound its horn to Disney music. This cruise the captain, or whoever, was very liberal with sounding the ships horn and playing all the tunes it can play. On our other two cruises we barely heard it after the first sounding of it.

IMG_0359.JPG
IMG_0361.JPG
IMG_0362.JPG
IMG_0365.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG

When the party was done we headed back to our veranda and hung out there for awhile. I was hoping to see some dolphins in the water. And I did catch a glimpse of some, but I wasn't fast enough to get any pictures of them.
IMG_0370.JPG

NASA in the distance.
IMG_0372.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Date night sounds like a great plan!!
I watched a video from WDW Radio and they showed one of the ride vehicles for FoP, and it doesn't look bad at all. But the video that started after that had 3 people reviewing the ride (without showing any of it) and they all said it was hard to keep the 3D glasses on, which I believe you mentioned? Someone did, so apparently that's a common problem. They also said that if you have problems with motion sickness (I do) you should take some dramamine beforehand. I'll definitely give it a whirl next time. Thanks so much for your insight!

No problem. Hubby gets motion sick too but the dramamine really helps him a lot. Hope you get to ride it whenever it is you go.

Songbird76

After about 40 minutes up there, (pure heaven) we went back to our stateroom to unpack, and get ready for muster drill and then Sail Away. Luckily our muster station was a couple decks below us in one of the lounges so we were able to sit for it. Our last cruise was standing out on deck the entire time. After the muster drill people were flooding the stairways and elevators so we stepped out on deck for a little bit. Then we went back to our room, and I grabbed my beer mug. DCL has a beer mug program where you pay about $15 for the mug and then you get bigger refills for the price of a small beer. When you are done with the mug you can exchange for a clean mug or a card token (and then exchange that when you want a new mug or beer). I've been using this since my first cruise.

Once on deck by the Sail Away I got in line for a beer, in a stand that wasn't bud or bud light. And as I was next in line, after I had been waiting about 5 minutes, I looked to the side for one moment and a guy snuck in line ahead of me. I called him on it and he tried to tell me he had been there in line all along (nope) and that I had just appeared. And he started saying "whatever, whatever, I'm just here for fun." and like I had been the budger in line, he was totally lying and didn't even care. I know it was just a beer line, but those types of people are horrible. It was so irritating but I did get my rightful place in line. It was especially irritating because even after I had been waiting there I was still the last person in line. What a jerkface! I silently wished him an unmagical cruise.

But I had my beer, and it was a good Florida local beer (sorry I can't remember the name) and we met up with our group. And soon we were dancing and singing along with the group at the Sail Away party. I'm just glad jerkface didn't end up being a part of our cruise group.

So anyway, some Sail Away party pictures. The thing about sailing away is it is so smooth you don't even realize for a couple moments that you are actually moving. I know some people skip the Sail Away party, but I think it is a great way to start the cruise. I like the music (the sail away song is so catchy), seeing the characters, and most of all hearing the ship sound its horn to Disney music. This cruise the captain, or whoever, was very liberal with sounding the ships horn and playing all the tunes it can play. On our other two cruises we barely heard it after the first sounding of it.

View attachment 217500 View attachment 217501 View attachment 217503 View attachment 217509 View attachment 217515 View attachment 217516

When the party was done we headed back to our veranda and hung out there for awhile. I was hoping to see some dolphins in the water. And I did catch a glimpse of some, but I wasn't fast enough to get any pictures of them.
View attachment 217517
NASA in the distance.
View attachment 217518
Ugh, I hate people like Jerkface. Like you didn't know how long you've been standing there, and who was in the line! One time when we were in the line for TSA security check, and woman and her daughter blew past us as the line started moving again and when we passed her back, she spent the rest of the time in the line telling her daughter that we were evil sinners going to Hell, that the Lord would punish us some day, etc. I was like....great example you are setting for her. I SHOULD have turned around and stood up to her, but you really can't make any headway with people like that. At least you got your beer! Hope it was worth the wait!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Ugh, I hate people like Jerkface. Like you didn't know how long you've been standing there, and who was in the line! One time when we were in the line for TSA security check, and woman and her daughter blew past us as the line started moving again and when we passed her back, she spent the rest of the time in the line telling her daughter that we were evil sinners going to Hell, that the Lord would punish us some day, etc. I was like....great example you are setting for her. I SHOULD have turned around and stood up to her, but you really can't make any headway with people like that. At least you got your beer! Hope it was worth the wait!

Yeah, there are unfortunately some whackos out there. The beer was good!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Time for dinner. The restaurant first on our rotation was Animators Palate. This is a fun restaurant, lots of cool character stuff to look at and on the video screens there are the Nemo characters and then interaction with Crush. That night we also met our table mates from the cruise. It was a nice couple from California, they were fun to talk to.

At one of the doors to the restaurant.
IMG_0374.JPG

I wish I had the chairs that are at the tables.
IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

Black truffle pasta purses. I got a double order. Its a good thing we walked a lot at WDW, because the cruise was full of good food.
IMG_0380.JPG

Brad got serrano ham as an appetizer.
IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

We both got the veal chop as our main entree.
IMG_0387.JPG

Brad likes fish so he go some sort of fish dish too.
IMG_0389.JPG

IMG_0393.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom