Trip Report Don't Touch My Mustache and Other Japanese Phrases

Konnichiwa! It's been just over a month since my husband and I returned from our wonderful 10 day trip to Japan. This was definitely the trip of a lifetime for both of us that took us on a journey to Mount Fuji, Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo, and of course, the Tokyo Disney Resort. It was an adventure full of ups and more ups. I hope that each one of you enjoys this journey with me because I plan on detailing it all for you. I hope this trip will inspire all of you to broaden your Disney horizons and head over to the Land of the Rising Sun.

First though, if you are interested in how I did my planning (and yes, I did all of it on my own), check out my pre-trip report that is located here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/konnichiwa-yall-were-going-to-japan.884605/

The cast of characters for this trip was pretty simple. It was me (Rachel) and my husband (Jordan). I've gotten the question of what made me want to go to Japan quite a lot since we've gotten back. The truth is that my husband wanted to go. I always thought Japan would be neat to visit...eventually. There were a lot of other places on my bucket list to visit first, but last summer my husband convinced me to head over to Japan. He loves the culture and video games. So, while he chose the location, I made all the plans. By making the plans I became more and more excited about what waited for us across the Pacific. Plus, I kind of got to choose what we were going to do, which just so happened to be visit Tokyo Disney for two days.

Now I am very much a 'can't see the forest for the trees' type of person, and my husband doesn't even know a forest has trees half of the time. It works very well for us when we recognize each other's strengths and weaknesses. This trip turned out to be an excellent balance for us. When we left for Japan I had 8 typed pages of things to do in each city (that did not include my list of attractions at Tokyo Disney Resort), including train stops, addresses, cost, and descriptions of each site. While I am so glad that I had this list it actually caused me some anxiety. 'What if we don't do everything on the list? Which is the most important to me? To him? Why is nothing at the same train stop? Why does this book list this site in Central Tokyo but this book has it in Western Tokyo? Which ones are we going to on what days?' As much of a planner as I try to be, I just couldn't bring myself to piecing it all together on a map and detailing day by day what we were going to do. We were leaving with at least ideas of places to go, so I thought that surely that was good enough for now.

Monday, May 26

The night before we left I barely slept at all. I was so nervous and excited at the same time, which really just resulted in feeling restless, uneasiness, and just wanting to get on with it. I would almost liken it to the night before I got married, but I slept like a baby that night. My alarm went off at the horrible time of 4:30 AM. It really is a time that shouldn't exist, but fortunately adrenaline and excitement quickly kicked in for both of us. We were out the door by 5:30 AM for a 7:00 AM departure from Chattanooga. We only had an hour to get through security and our bags checked in Chattanooga, but I wasn't expecting any issues. In the scanner sometime suspicious showed up on my rear. I wanted to tell the TSA agent that it was just a wedgie, but she patted me down anyways. We flew from Chattanooga to Atlanta. We had a straight shot from Atlanta to Narita airport in Tokyo. However, once we arrived in Atlanta we had a five hour layover. We could have driven to Atlanta and back and half way there again during our layover time, but it was $50 more to fly out of Chattanooga and my parents were able to pick up my car. So off to the international terminal we sat and ate and lounged and paced and sat and ate until it was time to leave.

Our plane to Narita was definitely the largest plane either of us had ever been on, which is to be expected. However, I couldn't believe how crowded it was. When I chose our seats I googled the plane layout to see which seats were the best. The plane had a 3-4-3 layout of the seats, except in the back. As the plane narrowed in the back the seats changed to a 2-4-2 layout. I chose the first row of 2-4-2 seats. I'm so glad that I did! That meant that it was only Jordan and I together. Plus, we had about 2.5 feet between us and the window. It was just empty space. I was able to eventually put our stuff there instead of under the seats in front of us. Plus, it became my standing space when my legs couldn't take sitting anymore. I was just tall enough to fit right under the overhead compartment standing there. The only down side is that I didn't have a window to put my pillow against to sleep.

Here's us at takeoff. Sayonara, America!

TDR-1.jpg

Here's our extra space:

TDR-2.jpg

The takeoff was a bit of a bumpy ride. There was a lot of movement in the back of the plane, and it felt like it took awhile until the plane finally stopped fishtailing. Not long after we took off drink service started. Complimentary drinks, including alcohol, were offered for the flight. I asked for a glass of wine in hopes of getting to nap away that 4:30 wake up time. They were not stingy with the box wine on the plane. It didn't help though, so I went for the free entertainment. There was an impressive movie selection that would have definitely kept me occupied for the entire flight there and back. I opted for Monument's Men. It was okay. For such a wonderfully funny cast the humor felt forced and the timing was awful. Plus, it really shouldn't have been a comedy. The story is incredibly though.

Midway through the movie our first meal was served. I opted for beef stroganoff that was served with a salad, shrimp cocktail, a roll, and a brownie. I think the other option was chicken stir fry. The stroganoff wasn't took bad. It was heavy on the pepper but that didn't bother me. The brownie and roll however were not good.

TDR-3.jpg

Jordan asked for some sake with his meal. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but I was surprised by the size of the bottle.

TDR-4.jpg

I really didn't get much sleep on the 13 hour flight. I spent the rest of it by playing mahjong tiles, trying to sleep, listening to music, and watching Star Trek Into Darkness for the 2nd time (I just really liked it, and I think Jordan looks like Bones). About 5 hours after the first meal our snack was served, which was a small turkey and cheese sandwich, a banana, and milano cookies. About an hour before we landed we were given breakfast. I had eggs, which were just not good. I didn't even make any notes on the breakfast. I drank orange juice. That's about all I remember.

Finally, we spotted land.

TDR-5.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
TDR-434.jpg

That was on the other side of Mediterranean harbor from the fortress. That is also part of Hotel MiraCosta. Not a bad view for over $400 per night.

TDR-435.jpg

TDR-436.jpg

TDR-437.jpg

Here's another woman in a homemade Disney outfit wearing heels. Heels! We saw numerous women wearing heels throughout the park. I have no idea how they managed that. Towards the end of the night we were in line behind two women and one of them was wearing stilettos. I couldn't even imagine what my feet would have felt like. When I go to Disney I will gladly wear my comfortable tennis shoes. I don't care what my feet look like. I just care about being able to walk the next day.

TDR-438.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
From the fortress we decided to go check out Triton's Kingdom. While we were walking through Port Discovery we saw the craziest outfit we saw while at Disney. It was so ridiculous that it even caught the stare of a CM passing by.

TDR-439.jpg

Yes, folks nothing to see here. This is what we always were on a Thursday while pushing our kids in a stroller.

So back to Triton's Kingdom...

TDR-440.jpg

TDR-441.jpg

TDR-442.jpg

TDR-443.jpg

TDR-444.jpg

TDR-445.jpg

This was a nice area, especially if you have kids. Jordan and I were just impressed by the size of it. There were three rides inside, a theater with an Ariel show, a playground, two gift shops, and a counter service restaurant. Yeah, I'd definitely spend a few hours here with my little ones in the heat of the day.

TDR-446.jpg

TDR-447.jpg

TDR-448.jpg

TDR-449.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
At this point in the day we had marked everything off of our list of must-dos! It wasn't even 4:00 P.M. though, but there was no way that I was leaving this park early. We headed over to Journey to grab fastpasses with a return time in about 3 more hours. I was honestly surprised that they weren't already out for the day, but what do I know. There was another show on my list to be able to do if we had time that started in 15 minutes. It was the Big Band Beat. I had read nothing but excellent reviews of this show, but I didn't think that we would be able to get in. At TDL and TDS they do a lottery system for the shows in the park. For the lottery system you go to a designated location, insert your ticket(s), press on the screen which show you would like to see, what time, and hope you get a seat for it. This is priority seating for the shows. From there you are either given a ticket for the show, or you are denied the lottery. Here's the tricky thing about it though, once you are approved or denied, you can't try for another show. All you can do is hope that you get there early enough to get a seat in the stand-by. The place for the lottery at TDL was in Tomorrowland near Space Mountain. At TDS this was located in the Mediterranean Harbor/American Waterfront area.

We had gone after our fps for ToT to see if we could get tickets for Big Band Beat. There was a notice outside that all lottery tickets had already been given out. Fast forward to 4:30 with a show starting in 15 minutes, and we didn't think we would be able to get seats. We rushed over to the American Waterfront and were ushered in with a few moments to spare. We actually were able to get decent seats for the show too.

TDR-451.jpg

This show prohibited photography during the performances, which is understandable. This show was done entirely in English. If you enjoy the big band era this is definitely the show to go and see. Everything (almost) was live. The band was phenomenal! The singers were incredibly talented too. The main singers were not native to Japan. The backup dancers mostly were. One thing that I loved was that they sang Chattanooga Choo Choo. It was a little part of home all the way on the other side of the world. Perhaps the best part of the show was the characters though. Minnie, Daisy, and Marie all made appearances during the show, even having their own song and dance number. The best though was the big chief himself. Yep, Mickey was in it. Not only was Mickey a big part of the show, but Mickey played the drums at one point in a drum off with the band's drummer. He for real played drums! It wasn't just 'hey, look at this character keep a steady beat.' It was seriously impressive of any drummer. Then, to top it off he puts down the drumsticks and comes to center stage to tap dance during the finale. The show was very entertaining, and I can see why it is so popular.

As we left the theater the sun was beginning to set. The park became even more beautiful throughout. This is probably my favorite photo from the entire trip. It really just captured for me the atmosphere of the place. You can see the gondolas towards the bottom of the photo. We never did these although I would have. We just never found the time for it.

TDR-452.jpg

TDR-453.jpg

TDR-454.jpg

TDR-455.jpg

TDR-456.jpg

We opted for Italian tonight for dinner. I believe we ate at the Zambini Brothers Ristorante (yes, from looking at the trays we did). There was seating on the main floor and upstairs for guests. We walked upstairs and found a nice quiet table to enjoy our meal. Sitting a few tables down from us we saw an adult gentleman enjoying his dinner with his Duffy Bear. Duffy was dressed in his Sully outfit, and they seemed to be having a nice quiet dinner too. Out of respect for the bear I didn't try and snap a photo.

For dinner Jordan had a mozzarella and tomato pizza with pesto.

TDR-457.jpg

I had spaghetti bolognese.

TDR-458.jpg

I really enjoyed my spaghetti. I didn't try Jordan's pizza, but it looked delicious. Seriously, scroll back up and look at it and think about how the pizza at WDW looks. There was a lot to choose from to eat at TDS. I think it had much more of a variety than TDL even. This just so happened to be where we were at the time, so this is where we ate. I'm glad we chose it though!

fractal

After we left Mysterious Island once again we headed to Mediterranean Harbor to check out Fortress Explorations. This is a really neat area that is based on the great minds of the Renaissance. There is even a Leonardo Challenge that your family can complete throughout the fortress, or you can just do like we did and go from place to place seeing all that you can find. I knew that this would be a place that Jordan would love, but I had another reason for going there too. The Legend of Mythica water show was approaching, and I had read that the fortress offers a great viewing area for the show. So, let's knock out these birds with one stone.

Now there is a designated entrance spot for the fortress, but it is kind of useless unless you are going to do the Leonardo Challenge. This area isn't roped off, so you can enter in at any point. We saw several families trying to complete the Leonardo Challenge, and I think that if we had had more time and were not worried about getting a good location for the upcoming show we might have tried to complete it too. It at least offered some method to the madness of trying to navigate the area. Plus, a lot of the neat things in the buildings seemed to be activated only if you were trying to complete the challenge. As opposed to the challenge at the Magic Kingdom there were no screens throughout the fortress.

We started out basically smack dab in the middle at Da Vinci's flying machine.

TDR-383.jpg

TDR-384.jpg

The planetarium area was really neat. You could move the planets in here. It was beautiful, as well.

TDR-385.jpg

TDR-386.jpg

TDR-387.jpg

TDR-388.jpg

TDR-389.jpg

A pendulum that was moving and keeping time

TDR-390.jpg

TDR-391.jpg

TDR-392.jpg

that looks amazing!

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Great report. Wish I had a trip to Tokyo in my future.

I looked up the synopsis of the Mythica show out of curiosity. In case anyone is interested

The narrator, introducing itself as "the voice of time," begins telling the story of Mythica. Long ago, humans and mythical creatures coexisted in a harmonious beat. However, the humans became increasingly argumentative and violent, and in the resulting chaos, the beat vanished and the creatures had no choice but to retreat to the depths of the sea, never seen again. It's then explained that their spiritual companions have come to help humans relearn love and harmony. The spirits (each represented by Disney characters) are introduced one by one, and they use their magic to initiate a musical celebration and reinstill the heartbeat of love in the audience.

• Mickey Mouse as the Spirit of Imagination
  • Minnie Mouse as the Spirit of Love
  • Donald Duck as the Spirit of Adventure
  • Goofy as the Spirit of Laughter
  • Pluto as the Spirit of Truth
  • Chip n' Dale as the Spirit of Friendship
  • Magicus, an earth spirit
  • Aerius, an air spirit
  • Aquatica, a water spirit
  • Ashin, a fire spirit

Alright, so after riding the Haunted Mansion in Japanese we decided to kill some time before our fps for Monster's Inc. The castle in Tokyo was a very familiar sight.

TDR-77.jpg

TDR-78.jpg

TDR-80.jpg

TDR-81.jpg

Looking towards Tomorrowland:

TDR-82.jpg

We went into some shops to kill some time where I found Disney Nanoblocks! These were great! Unfortunately, Jordan didn't want to buy any because he said that they were too expensive. So, I didn't. I regret that decision.

TDR-83.jpg

TDR-84.jpg

TDR-85.jpg

TDR-86.jpg

We found Nanoblocks in other parts of Japan too. The sets at Disney were much more expensive, but they were unique. We ended up getting our nephew a set of Nanoblocks that make a pagoda as a souvenir.

Just starting to read and follow along! So great to see some of Disneyland Tokyo. Loving it so far! The toilet bit at the beginning was hilarious. So funny how different they are in Japan! Can't wait to read more!

DisSplash

I am seriously loving the food pics ... Yum! Your description of the Mythica water show cracked me up too - if you can translate, you can only describe what's happening next. I think my favorite part was "then these giant floats come out. Why not?" Exactly! It's TDL for pete's sake! They do floats simply because they can! So, so funny.

Still love this TR. I check for it every day I'm online!

popsicletrees

Original Poster
that looks amazing!

It was a wonderful place. I know there are a lot of play areas at WDW, but this place really catered to kids and adults. I loved that about it!

Great report. Wish I had a trip to Tokyo in my future.

I looked up the synopsis of the Mythica show out of curiosity. In case anyone is interested

The narrator, introducing itself as "the voice of time," begins telling the story of Mythica. Long ago, humans and mythical creatures coexisted in a harmonious beat. However, the humans became increasingly argumentative and violent, and in the resulting chaos, the beat vanished and the creatures had no choice but to retreat to the depths of the sea, never seen again. It's then explained that their spiritual companions have come to help humans relearn love and harmony. The spirits (each represented by Disney characters) are introduced one by one, and they use their magic to initiate a musical celebration and reinstill the heartbeat of love in the audience.

• Mickey Mouse as the Spirit of Imagination
  • Minnie Mouse as the Spirit of Love
  • Donald Duck as the Spirit of Adventure
  • Goofy as the Spirit of Laughter
  • Pluto as the Spirit of Truth
  • Chip n' Dale as the Spirit of Friendship
  • Magicus, an earth spirit
  • Aerius, an air spirit
  • Aquatica, a water spirit
  • Ashin, a fire spirit

Thank you and thank you for the synopsis! Yeah, I definitely didn't get any of that out of the show. I definitely get where the harmonious beat comes into the story. It was a very drum heavy show.

Just starting to read and follow along! So great to see some of Disneyland Tokyo. Loving it so far! The toilet bit at the beginning was hilarious. So funny how different they are in Japan! Can't wait to read more!

Thank you so much! Yes, the toilets are very different, but most of them were at least picture friendly to know what the buttons did.

I am seriously loving the food pics ... Yum! Your description of the Mythica water show cracked me up too - if you can translate, you can only describe what's happening next. I think my favorite part was "then these giant floats come out. Why not?" Exactly! It's TDL for pete's sake! They do floats simply because they can! So, so funny.

Still love this TR. I check for it every day I'm online!

Lol! It's true that there was only so much we could figure out while we were there because of language barriers. We got really good at charades before we left though. We just took everything that we couldn't understand in stride. It was all part of the experience for us. And thank you for the kind words!

Taking some time out of my trip to check yours out. Great pictures. Love it!

Thank you again! My internet has been spotty with storms we've had come through so while it is working I'll be sure to give you something to read for later. ;)

popsicletrees

Original Poster
After dinner we went back to Journey to use our fps. This place was absolutely beautiful at dusk.

TDR-459.jpg

TDR-460.jpg

TDR-461.jpg

At this point in the evening Jordan and I started playing a game. When it was my turn he would spot a woman in a crazy outfit, say "one," and then it was my job to choose whose outfit I would wear between her and the next two ladies (labeled two and three). After I chose I would return the favor with him but pointing out the guys. I had a much harder time with this than he did mostly because he would have worn what most guys there wore. We didn't see any crazy outfits on the men.

TDR-462.jpg

TDR-463.jpg

Found some Oswald ears.

TDR-464.jpg

TDR-465.jpg

Let me just say again that this ride is awesome! I would love to see something like this stateside.

popsicletrees

Original Poster
TDR-466.jpg

TDR-467.jpg

TDR-468.jpg

Guests were already taking their places for Fantasmic! a good hour and a half before the show.

TDR-469.jpg

TDR-470.jpg

Flower mosaic for Spring Voyage

TDR-471.jpg

We weren't ready to leave, but we were killing some time at this point. We walked by ToT several times to see if the wait times had gone down any. We never saw it below an hour all night, and we didn't feel like waiting that long. Instead, we went into just about every shop at TDS looking for unique merchandise. I already lamented the fact that it was nearly impossible to find earlier.

TDR-472.jpg

TDR-473.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
TDR-474.jpg

TDR-475.jpg

We walked over to Toyville Trolley Park just to check out the ridiculousness over here. We never even attempted to try TSMM. The wait was still over an hour and a half even with crowds gathering around the harbor for Fantasmic!. I had no intention of trying to get on TSMM. I read that it was no different than the versions in the states, so to me that would have just been a waste when there was so much more that we wanted to do. I'm glad that we didn't try it, honestly. Considering our fp time for ToT after getting it once the park opened there would have been no way that we could have done both without being in the standby line for one of them. The area was very cartoonlike though.

TDR-476.jpg

TDR-477.jpg

TDR-478.jpg

TDR-479.jpg

TDR-480.jpg

TDR-481.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
At this point we boarded the S.S. Columbia to check out Turtle Talk. Jordan and I absolutely love how interactive the Laugh Floor is at the Magic Kingdom. It is one of our favorite things to do together. He's never done Turtle Talk though. Turtle Talk is cute because kids are just funny, but it doesn't appeal as much to me. So, he asked about doing Turtle Talk. We were approaching showtime for Fantasmic!, which he said that he didn't really care about seeing. My thought process was if we go to Turtle Talk with no wait by the time we are out Fantasmic! will have just started, he'll hear the music, and he'll want to stay and watch it. Yes, I was trying to manipulate him. So, in line for Turtle Talk we go.

TDR-482.jpg

TDR-483.jpg

Just our luck a show had just been seated right before we walked in. So, we had to wait and wait and wait until the next show. I was expecting the standard protocol with this show where all the children will be herded to the front to be able to interact with Crush. That just wasn't the case. In fact, there weren't many children there at all. Crush talked to the adults, and he talked with a lot of adults. Jokes were being made, people were laughing, and we had no idea what any of it was about. We sank into our seats a little bit hoping to stay out of view of Crush. I had read that other than not being able to understand the dialogue the show just wasn't as good because Crush didn't use as many facial expressions and to American senses of humor the timing was just off. I didn't get that feeling at all. I thought the timing and facial expressions were spot on from what I could tell, which was very little. Unfortunately, once the show ended Fantasmic! was mostly over. I could only see the Sorcerer's hat, which looked amazing! Instead, we checked the line at ToT again (still long) and hustled back to the other side of the park.

TDR-484.jpg

We decided to do Aquatopia again but checked out the other side of the line this time.

TDR-485.jpg

Disney parks at night are so beautiful!

TDR-486.jpg

TDR-487.jpg

TDR-488.jpg

We hung out with Sinbad again while we were here. Seriously that ride was so good, and the song was pure Disney magic.

popsicletrees

Original Poster
TDR-489.jpg

TDR-490.jpg

Before we left I told Jordan that we were needed to go on Journey one more time. This was the longest that we had waiting in any line all day long. We waited for roughly 30 minutes, and that's when we were behind a woman in stilettos. It boggled the mind! We rode in every seat position during our three trips on Journey. The back row was definitely my favorite. We got some good air time flying out of the volcano.

TDR-491.jpg

We purchased some merchandise and made our way back to our hotel room. TDS you were wonderful.

Daxiegirl

My Goodness, what an amazing TR!!!
I am loving this. A bucket list trip for sure.
The way you take the time to describe and take photos of everything (and remember the details) is wonderful and it really makes me want to go (I never thought I'd have the guts to travel to Tokyo but you've convinced me).
Thank you for putting so much effort into this!

I don't know which part I like the most so far but I do have to say the Legend of Mythica looks pretty cool..and the nighttime parade..and Tomorrowland....and Snow White....and the sushi....AND...AND...AND...

jlsHouston

They were really neat. Unfortunately, they had so many buttons and no English. I had trouble finding the flush on one of them. Each one that we saw was different.

Thanks! I'm glad that I finally got to this. The toilets were super fancy and always CLEAN! 13 hours was brutal, but I was so glad that we didn't have any layovers going out there. There was a guy two rows behind me that was at least 6'5 and 280. I felt so bad for him.

Umm, yes. I saw a lot of women use these. I wouldn't even know where to start. There were many times that I would walk into a stall and walk right back out until a much easier toilet came open.

They were intimidating, some much more so than others. Plus, they got even more complicated than that one. After my first experience I got a little shy about pressing all the buttons.

All that comes to mind is one needs some serious toilet training when venturing into Japanese restrooms..o_O

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom