Trip Report Don't Touch My Mustache and Other Japanese Phrases

Konnichiwa! It's been just over a month since my husband and I returned from our wonderful 10 day trip to Japan. This was definitely the trip of a lifetime for both of us that took us on a journey to Mount Fuji, Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo, and of course, the Tokyo Disney Resort. It was an adventure full of ups and more ups. I hope that each one of you enjoys this journey with me because I plan on detailing it all for you. I hope this trip will inspire all of you to broaden your Disney horizons and head over to the Land of the Rising Sun.

First though, if you are interested in how I did my planning (and yes, I did all of it on my own), check out my pre-trip report that is located here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/konnichiwa-yall-were-going-to-japan.884605/

The cast of characters for this trip was pretty simple. It was me (Rachel) and my husband (Jordan). I've gotten the question of what made me want to go to Japan quite a lot since we've gotten back. The truth is that my husband wanted to go. I always thought Japan would be neat to visit...eventually. There were a lot of other places on my bucket list to visit first, but last summer my husband convinced me to head over to Japan. He loves the culture and video games. So, while he chose the location, I made all the plans. By making the plans I became more and more excited about what waited for us across the Pacific. Plus, I kind of got to choose what we were going to do, which just so happened to be visit Tokyo Disney for two days.

Now I am very much a 'can't see the forest for the trees' type of person, and my husband doesn't even know a forest has trees half of the time. It works very well for us when we recognize each other's strengths and weaknesses. This trip turned out to be an excellent balance for us. When we left for Japan I had 8 typed pages of things to do in each city (that did not include my list of attractions at Tokyo Disney Resort), including train stops, addresses, cost, and descriptions of each site. While I am so glad that I had this list it actually caused me some anxiety. 'What if we don't do everything on the list? Which is the most important to me? To him? Why is nothing at the same train stop? Why does this book list this site in Central Tokyo but this book has it in Western Tokyo? Which ones are we going to on what days?' As much of a planner as I try to be, I just couldn't bring myself to piecing it all together on a map and detailing day by day what we were going to do. We were leaving with at least ideas of places to go, so I thought that surely that was good enough for now.

Monday, May 26

The night before we left I barely slept at all. I was so nervous and excited at the same time, which really just resulted in feeling restless, uneasiness, and just wanting to get on with it. I would almost liken it to the night before I got married, but I slept like a baby that night. My alarm went off at the horrible time of 4:30 AM. It really is a time that shouldn't exist, but fortunately adrenaline and excitement quickly kicked in for both of us. We were out the door by 5:30 AM for a 7:00 AM departure from Chattanooga. We only had an hour to get through security and our bags checked in Chattanooga, but I wasn't expecting any issues. In the scanner sometime suspicious showed up on my rear. I wanted to tell the TSA agent that it was just a wedgie, but she patted me down anyways. We flew from Chattanooga to Atlanta. We had a straight shot from Atlanta to Narita airport in Tokyo. However, once we arrived in Atlanta we had a five hour layover. We could have driven to Atlanta and back and half way there again during our layover time, but it was $50 more to fly out of Chattanooga and my parents were able to pick up my car. So off to the international terminal we sat and ate and lounged and paced and sat and ate until it was time to leave.

Our plane to Narita was definitely the largest plane either of us had ever been on, which is to be expected. However, I couldn't believe how crowded it was. When I chose our seats I googled the plane layout to see which seats were the best. The plane had a 3-4-3 layout of the seats, except in the back. As the plane narrowed in the back the seats changed to a 2-4-2 layout. I chose the first row of 2-4-2 seats. I'm so glad that I did! That meant that it was only Jordan and I together. Plus, we had about 2.5 feet between us and the window. It was just empty space. I was able to eventually put our stuff there instead of under the seats in front of us. Plus, it became my standing space when my legs couldn't take sitting anymore. I was just tall enough to fit right under the overhead compartment standing there. The only down side is that I didn't have a window to put my pillow against to sleep.

Here's us at takeoff. Sayonara, America!

TDR-1.jpg

Here's our extra space:

TDR-2.jpg

The takeoff was a bit of a bumpy ride. There was a lot of movement in the back of the plane, and it felt like it took awhile until the plane finally stopped fishtailing. Not long after we took off drink service started. Complimentary drinks, including alcohol, were offered for the flight. I asked for a glass of wine in hopes of getting to nap away that 4:30 wake up time. They were not stingy with the box wine on the plane. It didn't help though, so I went for the free entertainment. There was an impressive movie selection that would have definitely kept me occupied for the entire flight there and back. I opted for Monument's Men. It was okay. For such a wonderfully funny cast the humor felt forced and the timing was awful. Plus, it really shouldn't have been a comedy. The story is incredibly though.

Midway through the movie our first meal was served. I opted for beef stroganoff that was served with a salad, shrimp cocktail, a roll, and a brownie. I think the other option was chicken stir fry. The stroganoff wasn't took bad. It was heavy on the pepper but that didn't bother me. The brownie and roll however were not good.

TDR-3.jpg

Jordan asked for some sake with his meal. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but I was surprised by the size of the bottle.

TDR-4.jpg

I really didn't get much sleep on the 13 hour flight. I spent the rest of it by playing mahjong tiles, trying to sleep, listening to music, and watching Star Trek Into Darkness for the 2nd time (I just really liked it, and I think Jordan looks like Bones). About 5 hours after the first meal our snack was served, which was a small turkey and cheese sandwich, a banana, and milano cookies. About an hour before we landed we were given breakfast. I had eggs, which were just not good. I didn't even make any notes on the breakfast. I drank orange juice. That's about all I remember.

Finally, we spotted land.

TDR-5.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
Sinbad's Storybook Voyage had no line, and it didn't have any line when I took Jordan back to it two more times before we left. It was wonderful! I absolutely loved it! The animatronics, while looking very cartoonish, had very fluid movements. This attraction too is entirely in Japanese (all the signage throughout the ride is in English, though), but it's easy to follow along with the stroyline. Plus, the song is super catchy! Basically here is how the story goes. Sinbad and his tiger, Chandu, decide to set sail looking for adventure are treasure for his town. Along the way they find mermaids who probably with them luck. Up next they help a giant bird protect her nest from some bad guys who are trying to steal her eggs. Afterwards the same villains show up trying to take the treasure of the Jolly Green Giant (my words, not Disney's) who they have locked away. Chandu and Sinbad free the Jolly Green Giant, and then they all play music and sing together. Then, Sinbad finds a village that just gives him a bunch of stuff for no apparent reason. Sinbad finds a cave with some groovy monkeys, and they play some more music together. The monkeys load Sinbad up with bananas. Afterwards, they park their boat on top of a whale who helps them get back home. Then, Sinbad returns to his village where there is much rejoicing. And I feel like I just gave a movie synopsis for a film that I'm never seen.

TDR-306.jpg

TDR-307.jpg

TDR-308.jpg

TDR-309.jpg

TDR-310.jpg

TDR-312.jpg

TDR-313.jpg

TDR-319.jpg

TDR-321.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
We rushed through the rest of the Arabian Coast to head back to the American Waterfront.

Nice little nook in Arabian Coast

TDR-358.jpg

Okay, so I really wasn't taking a picture of this nook, nice as it is. I was really taking a picture of these girls sitting near it.

TDR-359.jpg

Leggings, crocs, mouse ears, and pigtails. Yep, these are definitely coordinated Disney outfits.

In case you've never heard this before, people in Japan are obsessed with Duffy. The genie is too, apparently.

TDR-360.jpg

Double decker carousel

TDR-361.jpg

TDR-362.jpg

This photo was taken from the ramp that leads to the Magic Lamp Theater. Duffy's Spingtime Voyage show is held here. These are the adults that were sitting patiently waiting for it.

TDR-364.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
Once we helped Sinbad get all of that treasure and marveled at the people who were waiting for Duffy's show, we rushed over to ToT to use our fps. By the time we arrived just after noon the fastpasses were already gone for the day. Standby was at 120 minutes too. There is a major difference between the ToT here and those in the states and that is the storyline. The Twilight Zone isn't even a mention in Tokyo's version. The story is based around Mr. Hightower the owner of the Hotel Hightower who mysteriously disappeared one night following his return from an expedition in Africa. Mr. Hightower was quite the collector of artifacts, which was easy to tell as you are going on a tour of his hotel and his artifacts, and while in Africa he acquired a tribe's protective idol. While making his way to his office with his new gift the elevator came crashing down to the ground floor with no trace of Mr. Hightower or the idol.

TDR-365.jpg

TDR-366.jpg

TDR-367.jpg

TDR-368.jpg

TDR-369.jpg

TDR-370.jpg

The doomed elevator - I thought this was a wonderful touch in the lobby.

TDR-371.jpg

TDR-372.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
The setup is that you are guests visiting the hotel, which is now essentially a museum. You are led into Mr. Hightower's library (preshow area), which has been essentially left as is since his disappearance, except there's this pesky idol placed high on a mantly. The CM winds up a gramophone that plays Mr. Hightower's last interview. An old slide show shows the story in photos (it was in Japanese, so this helped). The stain glass window behind the desk changes to show what transpired the fateful night when Mr. Hightower disappeared. At that point the idol comes to life, and as far as I can tell placed some sort of curse on all of us and then disappeared. The thing legit disappeared! Jordan and I are honestly still trying to figure out how they managed that. The idol was 3D and very tangible. We really couldn't see a screen that it was behind, so we have no idea how they made it happen, but it was super cool.

TDR-373.jpg

From there we are led to Mr. Hightower's basement that shows a collection of his collection from his travels around the world.

TDR-374.jpg

TDR-375.jpg

TDR-376.jpg

TDR-377.jpg

At this point I was asked to put my camera away. Apparently I wasn't supposed to have it out at all. I have no idea why.

The ride was as you expect. It was similar to DL's version in that the elevator didn't move out and about, meaning you end where you start essentially. As far as the ride itself being different the first time the doors open obviously you don't see the guests from the HTH summon you in their electrocuted fashion. Instead you see Mr. Hightower. Then, your photo is taken, the idol appears, and makes all of you disappear. At that point we are hoisted up and sent plummeting to our deaths. Good times. I was really hoping for some merchandise in the store that said "Hightower Hotel" but no such luck.

popsicletrees

Original Poster
Up next was Indiana Jones. The standby was still over an hour but fastpass was distributing times within the next hour. I didn't have my camera out, so no photos of this one. If you've been on the DL version it is very, very similar. The two major differences are as your vehicle first starts instead of having three door options to go through there is only one and instead of fire coming out under the drawbridge it was a whirling laser mist of smoke and steam. I love the DL version though, and this ride was just as good.

After Indiana Jones we went to the Hangar Stage located in the Lost River Delta to watch Mystic Rhythms. TDL and TDS offer several show to check out during the day. None of the shows at TDL really appealed to me, but there were a few that I wanted to see at TDS. Mystic Rhythms was one show that I definitely wanted to see. The show is set in the rain forest and shows the creatures of the rain forest come to life and interact with the elements. It was the closest thing to Cirque du Soleil that you could find at TDS. Was it as impressive? No. Was it still good? Most definitely. Plus, there was a live rhythm band, and I can always appreciate a show with a live band. There were no photos for this one either, but the show was so dark that it would have been hard to get any photos.

For lunch we headed back to Mysterious Island to check out Vulcania.

Some crazy homemade outfits on the way.

TDR-378.jpg

Vulcania is a buffeteria style restaurant that serves Chinese food. Jordan had fried fish.

TDR-379.jpg

I had chili shrimp.

TDR-380.jpg

Jordan must have really enjoyed his as he was finished with his food very quickly. Mine was decently spicy for being chili shrimp, but it was very hot temperature wise. Plus, trying to shovel in rice with chopsticks is not my strong suit, and I am too prideful to use a fork.

I was very pleased with Vulcania. Our food was great, and there was a large variety there. Plus the seating area is huge and indoors.

We walked right on to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea after lunch.

TDR-381.jpg

TDR-382.jpg

Again, no photos on this ride. However, I will tell you that it was really good. It put the Nemo subs to shame. We loaded onto the mini submarines that fit 6. Two seated at a window in the front, two seated at a window to the side, and two seated at a window facing the back. This ride was obviously not under water. The windows of the subs had water in between two panes of glass giving it the effect that you were. With that freedom the AAs were amazing! It was a very colorful ride and well thought out. There was so much to see around every turn. I really wanted to ride again from a different angle just to have another vantage point.

mrdrift

What an amazing report with some really fantastic pictures. I have just caught up on your report and just have to ask, do they sell burgers and fries somewhere in the park? The food looks really delicious and worth the time to try. Love the features at the Tokyo park that aren't available in California or Florida. Keep up this wonderful report.

popsicletrees

Original Poster
What an amazing report with some really fantastic pictures. I have just caught up on your report and just have to ask, do they sell burgers and fries somewhere in the park? The food looks really delicious and worth the time to try. Love the features at the Tokyo park that aren't available in California or Florida. Keep up this wonderful report.

Thank you so much! There are places that sell burgers and fries in the park. Honestly, both parks have a wide variety of food throughout them. There was really something for everyone. Several kiosks in the park sold pork buns. I can't comment on what they were or tasted like, but they always had a line formed for them. I just wish that we had had more time to try more food there.

Yay!! I'm so excited you are doing a report, Rachel! I'll be back to catch up!

Yay, Tammy! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

DisSplash

Your lunch looked yummy! Huge fan of shrimp here. I am not too prideful to use a fork - I figure I am doing them a favor as it's better clean up!

Disneyfalcon

8 pages of notes! That's so awesome.
Jordan does kind of look like Bones! That's hilarious.
That toilet story was so funny!!
Your Disney pictures are amazing! I almost laughed out loud when you said your first ride was Pooh, but you loved it!
Those Nanoblocks are so cool. I need some. You showed great willpower.
That Monsters Inc really is different! Boo's door is so cool!
There are so many same as Disneyland but different things!
Until you got to Tokyo Seas. Wow. It just blows me away! You didn't post a single ride picture that I didn't think looked amazing! I can't wait for more!

popsicletrees

Original Poster
Thoroughly enjoying your report and great job with the pictures!

Thank you very much! Considering how much I love your photos I appreciate the compliment!

Your lunch looked yummy! Huge fan of shrimp here. I am not too prideful to use a fork - I figure I am doing them a favor as it's better clean up!

It was very good. Eating with chopsticks definitely makes you slow down while eating. Eating ramen using chopsticks several days later, now that was an experience.

8 pages of notes! That's so awesome.
Jordan does kind of look like Bones! That's hilarious.
That toilet story was so funny!!
Your Disney pictures are amazing! I almost laughed out loud when you said your first ride was Pooh, but you loved it!
Those Nanoblocks are so cool. I need some. You showed great willpower.
That Monsters Inc really is different! Boo's door is so cool!
There are so many same as Disneyland but different things!
Until you got to Tokyo Seas. Wow. It just blows me away! You didn't post a single ride picture that I didn't think looked amazing! I can't wait for more!

Pooh was just really, really good. It was the perfect ride to feel like not only was I in Disney but in Disney in Japan where they are really advanced in their technology. I was really glad that we kept our days with TDL and TDS as they were. We definitely saved the best for last. And thank you!!

Sorry I haven't posted in the past two days everyone. I've had a busy few days, but I should be able to get several posts up tomorrow!

popsicletrees

Original Poster
I was looking forward to reading this as I wind down here tonight at AKL. ;) Guess Ill have to do that tomorrow.

I'll be sure to make it up to you today. I am extremely jealous that you are enjoying a stay at AKL. I need to get caught up on your report too!

Love this trip report. The Mochi look awesome!

Thank you very much! It was delicious! It is definitely the thing to try at TDL.

popsicletrees

Original Poster
After we left Mysterious Island once again we headed to Mediterranean Harbor to check out Fortress Explorations. This is a really neat area that is based on the great minds of the Renaissance. There is even a Leonardo Challenge that your family can complete throughout the fortress, or you can just do like we did and go from place to place seeing all that you can find. I knew that this would be a place that Jordan would love, but I had another reason for going there too. The Legend of Mythica water show was approaching, and I had read that the fortress offers a great viewing area for the show. So, let's knock out these birds with one stone.

Now there is a designated entrance spot for the fortress, but it is kind of useless unless you are going to do the Leonardo Challenge. This area isn't roped off, so you can enter in at any point. We saw several families trying to complete the Leonardo Challenge, and I think that if we had had more time and were not worried about getting a good location for the upcoming show we might have tried to complete it too. It at least offered some method to the madness of trying to navigate the area. Plus, a lot of the neat things in the buildings seemed to be activated only if you were trying to complete the challenge. As opposed to the challenge at the Magic Kingdom there were no screens throughout the fortress.

We started out basically smack dab in the middle at Da Vinci's flying machine.

TDR-383.jpg

TDR-384.jpg

The planetarium area was really neat. You could move the planets in here. It was beautiful, as well.

TDR-385.jpg

TDR-386.jpg

TDR-387.jpg

TDR-388.jpg

TDR-389.jpg

A pendulum that was moving and keeping time

TDR-390.jpg

TDR-391.jpg

TDR-392.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
We halted our exploration of the fortress briefly to find a spot for the Legend of Mythica. We were able to get a good place to watch the show from at about 10 minutes until showtime. The show takes place almost entirely in the water. I read before we left that it takes over 100 CMs to pull this thing off. That's quite impressive for a once a day show. Sadly, the show is retiring in September, so this was definitely towards the top of my must-do list. Another unfortunate thing about this show is that it is entirely in Japanese. We had no idea what was going on the entire time, so my commentary on the show will reflect all of that. So, here it is: the Legend of Mythica.

TDR-400.jpg

So basically it just starts out with music and this thing beginning to spray water out everywhere.

TDR-402.jpg

TDR-403.jpg

Then, the middle of it begins to rise and a woman comes out telling the story of Mythica. I think.

TDR-404.jpg

Then, these giant floats come out. I'm not sure why, but why not, right?

TDR-406.jpg

TDR-407.jpg

TDR-408.jpg

TDR-409.jpg

TDR-410.jpg

TDR-411.jpg

Within each of the eggs is a classic Disney character. Mickey makes his appearance out of the center. Out of the others come Minnine, Goofy, Pluto, Donald, and Chip and Dale. Yes, they too spoke Japanese.

So, from there the Sea-Doos round up the floats around the centerpiece.

TDR-413.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom