Donald Duck

Bdis86

Account Suspended
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!!

Originally posted by Luau Cove
My only mistake is that it wasn't Germany it was Finland. Helsinski was the first city and the only one that got the Duck banned, but when they propose to prohibit Donald in the rest of the country they lost.
-->LUAU

Donald Duck was never banned in Finland because he didn't wear pants.

It's a legend we giddily love to believe -- Donald Duck was once banned in a foreign country because he didn't wear any pants and cavorted with an unmarried female duck! Somewhere out there are people who can get even more uptight and humorless about something as innocuous as children's comic books than Americans! Unfortunately, we Americans may have to retain the uptightness crown, because there's nothing to this tale.

Our story begins in late 1977, when the city of Helsinki found itself in a bit of a financial crunch. With monetary resources limited, Mr. Markku Holopainen, a local Liberal Party representative, proposed at a meeting of the board of youth affairs that the city economize by discontinuing its purchase of Donald Duck comics for youth centers in favor of hobby and sport publications. His suggestion was heartily approved.

A year later, while Holopainen was in the midst of an election campaign for a seat in the Finnish parliament, word was leaked to the press that he was "the man who banned Donald Duck from Helsinki." The chairman of the board of youth affairs failed to come to Holopainen's defense -- not surprisingly, since he himself was a candidate as well. Holopainen explained in vain that the decision to discontinue the purchase of Donald Duck comics with city funds had passed unanimously and was made solely for economic reasons. Holopainen lost his battle with the press -- and he lost the election to the now-silent board chairman.

When a similar incident had taken place in the Finnish town of Kemi a few years earlier, the international press had gleefully exaggerated the story with headlines such as "Finland Bans Donald" and "Donald Vanishes from Libraries," reporting that Donald's banishment was due to concerns over his lack of pants and questions about his marital status. As the foreign news reports about the alleged banning of Donald Duck filtered back to Finland (and neighboring Sweden), the local tabloids didn't attempt to verify the story -- they merely ran articles about the reaction it was receiving abroad. "Donald Not Married; Politicians Outraged!" and "Donald, Where Are Your Trousers?" were headlines in foreign papers, Finns were told.

The furor quickly blew over, and within several months Disney cartoons became more prevalent on Finnish TV, leading the more cynical to wonder if the whole thing hadn't been encouraged as a clever publicity stunt by Disney.

Story from: http://www.snopes2.com/disney/films/finland.htm

Luau Cove

I didn't get the information from internet, even less from there. This thing indeed happened in Finland, in this region, I really don't care what a internet page invented, since I know what I know, that's all.

-->LUAU

Bdis86

Account Suspended
Did you even read it? By the way this site has proof of what it posts. Take a look. You will find that this site is very accurate. More than someone in Finland. Note that the story lists the names of the people involved. I think Donald Duck may have been banned in one part of Finland. But NOT because he doesn't wear pants. They would have to do the same thing Daffy Duck too then. And they didn't. Just think about how stupid it sounds that Donald Duck, a Disney Cartoon Character, was banned because he didn't wear pants. The very idea of it is insane.

Bdis86

Account Suspended
I must say, not all questions on Who Wants to be a Millionare are true. That has happened before. Remember the guy who got his lifeline back?

Luau Cove

Originally posted by Bdis86
Did you even read it? By the way this site has proof of what it posts. Take a look. You will find that this site is very accurate. More than someone in Finland. Note that the story lists the names of the people involved. I think Donald Duck may have been banned in one part of Finland. But NOT because he doesn't wear pants. They would have to do the same thing Daffy Duck too then. And they didn't. Just think about how stupid it sounds that Donald Duck, a Disney Cartoon Character, was banned because he didn't wear pants. The very idea of it is insane.

Wars are insane also, but we cannot do anything about it...
I'm not trying to convince you, just telling you what I know and think, you are free to think whatever you want and believe whoever you want, but don't try to make me believe too cause I won't, don't waste your time.
-->LUAU

Tarzan266

Donald and Mickey are my two favorite Disney characters and I ALWAYS said Donald was hard to find in Disney World. The last time I saw him was in 1992 and I have been to Disney World three times since then. It's a shame because Donald is just as important as Goofy and Pluto. And as for him being banned from certain countries for not wearing pants - that is ridiculous, people need to get a grip. :hammer:

Bdis86

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Luau Cove

Wars are insane also, but we cannot do anything about it...
I'm not trying to convince you, just telling you what I know and think, you are free to think whatever you want and believe whoever you want, but don't try to make me believe too cause I won't, don't waste your time.
-->LUAU

I am not trying to start a war. I guess it's hard to tell what the tone of voice is of a person on the forums. Believe what you will, it is your right. And be HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

tenchu

Original Poster
Calm down everyone. I didn't think starting this thread would begin a full scale war over finland!

mickeyfan

The first time I saw Donald at the Magic Kingdom was when I was there with my junior high band and we were lining up for the parade............Donald was on a float in front of us (he had his head off---the cosutme part of course)........and another character, I think it was goofy...... yelled something to Donald and he shot him a bird (he only has three "fingers")............that was my first time seeing Donald and I will always remember that.............seeing a Duck shoot a bird was so funny to all of us............of course at 13 and 14 years of age, most anything is funny.......:lol:

Mickey is and always will be my most favorite character, but Donald runs a close second!!:)

But I agree, I don't see him that often in the parks mingling with the guests. I've never noticed his butt, guess I will have to pay closer attention when I'm down there next time. Which should be in April!!!:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom