Does DVC Membership Make Sense?

bwalkmouse

I am not trying to insult anyone. But I would hope that everyone on the forum is entitled to an opinion. We did run the numbers. We stay at all levels of rooms at the resorts at WDW. We have never paid more than $235 at the Animal Kingdom Lodge (Deluxe hotel according to WDW) and that rate was for a Savanah view. The charge for the room through DVC came out to about $272 for the same room at the same time. Considering the cost of buying into the DVC, the incredibly high yearly dues, and for most people, the finance charges for financing over 10 years, you end up paying about $366 for the room. So, how do you make up for that over time? Granted Disney raises their room rates far too often, but it would take at least 8 years just to balance out and that assumes that the DVC wouldn't raise their rates in kind.

You can easily beat DVC rates almost anywhere. Further, given that with DVC you would have to book at least 10 months in advance to get their rates and you don't have to book that far if you are booking on your own, why would DVC make sense? As far as bigger rooms for DVC members, I am not sure what that means particularly at the resorts. DVC members don't get the suites unless you pay a lot more for it which you would do if you were a DVC member or not. Also, if you read the fine print in the DVC membership booklet, you will notice that only a MAXIMUM of 22% of the rooms at DVC resorts are reserved for DVC members. That makes popular destinations very difficult to get. Many of us with families can't book a year or more in advance and therefore don't stand a chance in getting popular spots during peak seasons.

I am not being rude, but I am stating that every resort we checked and every destination we checked, we were able to beat the DVC pricing and didn't have to make a large investment up front and a continuing infusion of funds to go to those destinations. I still say DVC makes absoutely no sense. You can save money by staying at places without using your DVC membership and without giving DVC $100,000+ to get enough points to go to the really nice places. Bu the way, you can go on "The World" cruise for $15k a week. That is considered the nicest cruise ship in the world. The $100,000+ would allow you to go on that cruise for almost 7 consecutive years and no yearly dues are needed either.

When you quote $235 for AKL, I am assuming you are staying in a studio.
We stay about 3 weeks per year in a 1 BR at either BWV or BCV. The daily rate to stay in a 1 BR is approx $695 / night. For 3 weeks that comes out to approx $14,000 / year. We also took a cruise for 4 people that would have cost us $9,000. We paid 28,000 for our points in 2000. With yearly dues, our breakeven point has long gone. For our yearly dues of approx $1100, we are enjoying 3 weeks in a 1 BR. We also haven't had a problem booking inside the 6 month mark. We got a 1 BR in AKL at Christmas time this past year, at the 5 month mark.

slappy magoo

I am not trying to insult anyone. But I would hope that everyone on the forum is entitled to an opinion. We did run the numbers. We stay at all levels of rooms at the resorts at WDW. We have never paid more than $235 at the Animal Kingdom Lodge (Deluxe hotel according to WDW) and that rate was for a Savanah view. The charge for the room through DVC came out to about $272 for the same room at the same time. Considering the cost of buying into the DVC, the incredibly high yearly dues, and for most people, the finance charges for financing over 10 years, you end up paying about $366 for the room. So, how do you make up for that over time? Granted Disney raises their room rates far too often, but it would take at least 8 years just to balance out and that assumes that the DVC wouldn't raise their rates in kind.

You can easily beat DVC rates almost anywhere. Further, given that with DVC you would have to book at least 10 months in advance to get their rates and you don't have to book that far if you are booking on your own, why would DVC make sense? As far as bigger rooms for DVC members, I am not sure what that means particularly at the resorts. DVC members don't get the suites unless you pay a lot more for it which you would do if you were a DVC member or not. Also, if you read the fine print in the DVC membership booklet, you will notice that only a MAXIMUM of 22% of the rooms at DVC resorts are reserved for DVC members. That makes popular destinations very difficult to get. Many of us with families can't boo
DVC is like the Costco of timeshares. You can take the time, whenever you want a vacation, to go out and explore all your options to find the best possible deals for your trip. Or, pay in, lock into a low deal for the length of your membership and not get a decent value without the time & effort involved in the hunt.

I know I'll be going to WDW at least every couple of years, & want the option of either extended stays or shorter stays in larger suites, with more family or friends. DVC works for us.

I'd vote for this thread being a "sticky" as it not only has a decent degree of depth, it brngs up points that are frequently asked about by newbies. Change the thread title to something like "Is DVC right for YOU? A comparison" and it's eternal.

Disneyfalcon

formercast84, I believe you weren't trying to be rude but instead of just giving us your opinion, you said it was for people with "no sense". That's pretty personal. No one minds a good discussion from both sides of the issue. Just stay away from the insults.:)

cemeb4dk

i believe the vacation club was right for us, my wife and I purchased on our honeymoon almost 6 years ago. Since then we have used it many times, and buy what the room rates are and the length of stay we have stayed we feel that we have already paid for itself. Now yes we still have to continue to pay our annual dues and maintenance, but thats a small price to pay for knowing that all your accomodations is paid for.

Granted sometimes it is hard to get a room, but you just have to try and plan ahead. Like for instance I just decided to surprise my family with a short 2 night 3 day trip down in 3 weeks, and I just got off the phone with member services and they had nothing available for me in any resort. But I could go to disney.com and pay cash for any type of room and at any resort we want. So in my opinion this kinda put a damper on my quick get away and low out of pocket cost trip. But hey my family and I are going to disney so we will get over it as soon as we land at Orlando airport.

slappy magoo

Just wanted to make one additional point, one I've made before, but what the hell, y'all ain't paying me by the word. :D

People of the aforementioned "Don't take this the wrong way but anyone who'd buy DVC is STOOPID" ilk always like to claim DVC is a bad investment, especially compared to other time share opportunities. And if you're strictly looking at it as an investment, they may have a point. Especially if you're financing. Depending on how soon you pay back, and the type of room you book and the time of year you go, it could be upwards of 20 years befpre the theoretical break-even point. And the money you put into DVC, you could invest in some moderate-risk stocks and make a ROI you'd never make in a time share, which could be used for more trips. Maybe you'll get lucky and the ROI more than makes up for the increase in room rates.

But it's all faulty logic, predicated on thinking of DVC as an investment. It's not an investment; it's a LUXURY. It's something you'd choose to buy with discretionary income the same way you'd opt to buy a blu-ray player, a high-end car, a boat you can sail on the weekends. None of them are wise investments, either. They'll all, most likely, lose value (the fact that some people make profits on reselling DVC notwithstanding). And it's pretty rare that any of those items last forever, either. But you enjoy them while you have them. Same with DVC.

IMHO, if you've ever spent money on a luxury that you bought strictly because you wanted it - or if there was ever a time when you could've pocketed savings buying something less expensive that you needed (a cheaper car with fewer options, a home with only one bathroom instead of 2, a cheaper pocketbook instead of a Coach, a 27 inch tv instead of a 50) but you said "what the hell" - I don't care what it is, it more or less makes this entire argument moot.

Stop looking at DVC as an investment, and start thinking of it as a luxury you want, and then decide if you can afford it. Nothing else matters. And once you buy it, if you decide you don't want it, sell it, like you'd sell any other unwanted possession. Maybe you'll lose a little, maybe you'll turn a profit. No big deal, because it wasn't an investment, it was a luxury you no longer want.

DVC Mike

Original Poster
Also, if you read the fine print in the DVC membership booklet, you will notice that only a MAXIMUM of 22% of the rooms at DVC resorts are reserved for DVC members. That makes popular destinations very difficult to get.

This is simply not true. Disney retains ownership of only ~4% of the points at any particular resort, as required by Florida timeshare law.

OKW1993

We looked into the DVC last year. We could not figure out how to make it make sense. We live in the Disney area anyway and have enjoyed WDW since the park opened. But when we ran the numbers, it was cheaper to use our Annual Passholder discounts and stay in the deluxe hotels than it was to use the DVC. We also have 4 kids and pretty much have to have 2 rooms. The points required would have cost so much, I could have rented a suite for a week at WDW and still had change left over compared to the cost of usind the DVC.

Run the numbers for yourself. By the time you finance the $$$$ and then pay their high yearly dues, you could have taken the whole family on a 1st class vacation yourself without using the DVC and for less money than DVC. We actually figured it the cost of a Disney cruise on DVC every year vs. paying for a Disney Cruise every year on our own without DVC and it would cost us about $1200 a year less to not use DVC that to use DVC. Talk about a rip off.

The DVC is a total scam. You can do almost any trip cheaper than DVC and you can control the dates, etc. more than you can with DVC. Stay away. It doesn't even make sense if you stay at disney properties. They don't cut you any breaks. Stay away from DVC.:brick:

Being a Cast member aren't you entitled to considerable discounts at Disney resorts? So it wouldn't make sense for you to buy DVC.

Right now my DVC is all paid for, and it's paid for itself, already coming to WDW at least 2 times a year, and staying at DVC resorts on points. We DONT want to stay at the econo resorts ie: All Star, Pop Century, We want first class accomodations IE:BCV,OKW, WLV, and AKL. It made sense for us to buy, and haven't regretted it once.

formercast84

Discounts

:hammer:I am a former cast member and not current. I am saying that our small investment into being annual passholders actually gives us a discount usually equal to or higher than DVC members. I am also not comparing DVC to other timeshares. DVC isn't a timeshare because you don't own a time period any where. That is actually a downside to DVC. But DVC doesn't offer discounts much if any higher than the discounts usually available through public offerings. Why spend all that money up front and then still have to pay high yearly dues? All you really are doing is prepaying with the hopes that the minor discounts will eventually pay off. All the good places require a whole lot of points. For us, we would have had to spend over $100k to get enough points to make anything work. Then with the yearly dues, it would be like having a mortgage payment each month just to get a week's vacation somewhere. Sorry, but I know after talking to a great number of people here in Orlando, that this just doesn't add up to a good thing. I guess it might if you compare it a 5 star international resort's book rates compared to the DVC rates, but no one pays book rates anyway. I am not going to change anyone's opinion if you are already a DVC member, but I do hope to at least make people that are thinking about it really evaluate the program and throw real numbers at it and not "out of thin air" numbers. DVC just seems like bad news. Also as a former cast member, trust me, the profit margins on DVC are probably huge. Where do you think the profits come from and why is DVC one of the most expensive progams on the market?

DVC Mike

Original Poster
I do hope to at least make people that are thinking about it really evaluate the program and throw real numbers at it and not "out of thin air" numbers. DVC just seems like bad news.

I put together an Excel spreadsheet comparing the cost of DVC against the cost of a deluxe resort, and found that using "real numbers" I would break-even and start saving money within 6 years, and would be saving a huge amount over the life of my DVC contract. My model assumed cash rooms would go up 3% per year, while DVC dues would go up 4% per year.

DVC is not for everyone -- especially if you stay offsite or at a value resort. It may make sense if you typically stay at a moderate resort, but it would take longer to reach the breakeven point.

slappy magoo

For us, we would have had to spend over $100k to get enough points to make anything work. Then with the yearly dues, it would be like having a mortgage payment each month just to get a week's vacation somewhere.

You'd need almost 1000 points to make a stay worth your while? Yikes.

We currently have 175 points. Last year, we stayed 10 nights on property, 7 in a WL studio, and 3 nights in a BWV 1 BR unit. Rack for those rooms would have been around 3 grand. Even with an annual pass discount, it still would've been over 2 thou. We pay about a thousand a year in dues, so I consider that a thousand towards the principal. Do I have a ways to go before a break even point? Sure, but I'll get there, especially as room rates go up, and as I said before, it's not about this being an investment, it's about it being a luxury I wanted.

To stay at a studio savannah unit at AK Villas on Xmas week would cost you 180 points. Rack rate for the same period for a savannah room (and I'd suspect even annual passholders wouldn't get much of a discount THAT week) would run over $2800. Even paying high interest on the mortgage, that sort of vacationing schedule would pay for itself rapidly owning DVC.

Considering the facts that you're ignoring Mike's spreadsheet, you're pointing out discrepancies in the fine print that apprently don't exist, and you're looking at DVC as an investment and not a luxury, maybe you're not the best person to represent why DVC isn't for everyone. Just saying...

formercast84

You'd need almost 1000 points to make a stay worth your while? Yikes.

We currently have 175 points. Last year, we stayed 10 nights on property, 7 in a WL studio, and 3 nights in a BWV 1 BR unit. Rack for those rooms would have been around 3 grand. Even with an annual pass discount, it still would've been over 2 thou. We pay about a thousand a year in dues, so I consider that a thousand towards the principal. Do I have a ways to go before a break even point? Sure, but I'll get there, especially as room rates go up, and as I said before, it's not about this being an investment, it's about it being a luxury I wanted.

To stay at a studio savannah unit at AK Villas on Xmas week would cost you 180 points. Rack rate for the same period for a savannah room (and I'd suspect even annual passholders wouldn't get much of a discount THAT week) would run over $2800. Even paying high interest on the mortgage, that sort of vacationing schedule would pay for itself rapidly owning DVC.

Considering the facts that you're ignoring Mike's spreadsheet, you're pointing out discrepancies in the fine print that apprently don't exist, and you're looking at DVC as an investment and not a luxury, maybe you're not the best person to represent why DVC isn't for everyone. Just saying...

Actually, I think I represent a lot of people. I think the numbers in the excel spreadsheet are incorrect and use book value that most people don't and shouldn't pay. We stay in deluxe hotels frequently and I don't think I have ever paid as much as he quotes. You can make the numbers say anything you want, but I suggest you look at what the local papers even say about DVC. The Orlando Sentinel in October of 2007 called DVC the biggest Disney mirage or all time. I think you are so caught up in being a member, you have decided that all of us who think DVC is senseless must be wrong. Funny how I can't find any timeshare including luxury ones that cost even 1/2 of the DVC, yet somehow you tell me that DVC is such a great deal. Dribble!

MaxsDad

Formercast,

I agree with one or two things you have said. The DVC is not a great way to book a Disney Cruise, and of course, it isn't meant to be either though. And it isn't "sold" that way either by the DVC Reps that I have talked with. DVC is good for people who want to plan ahead, stay in Deluxe accommodations on WDW property, stay during the weekdays, and have flexibility on when they go. After reading your posts, I have came to the conclusion that you must have a had horrible DVC guide, because you seem to be filled with misinformation.

I once discussed this issue with someone on this board who also is from NE FL like yourself (or is it Orlando, I always thought of Orlando as Central FL?). Anyway, he goes mostly on the weekends only, often spur of the moment, he waits for AP-FL Resident rates to come out. Obviously, he found DVC didn't fit him. He was objective enough though to see its value, just realized it didn't met his needs. He didn't take it personally. He wasn't bitter about it. Just wasn't a match for him.

I suspect your situation is much like his. You are willing to take whats left when Disney discounts their unsold rooms to AP's and FL's. You probably have the freedom and privilege to go frequently (1000 pts.??) and often on weekends. These discounts are not always available particularly during peak times, but folks in your situation are OK with that, they don't want to go then anyway. That's great for you, but what's great for you, may be impossible for others.

In regards to the comparisons, yes, most other people pay "book value" or rack rates. That's why they are called that and the discounted rates are called discounted rates. They aren't discounted until the rack rates go unsold. Even then, you may notice they always say "Limited Rooms Available". How many times have you seen on these boards people unable to book their favorite resort at a discount because no more were available? I see it often enough. Which reminds me, if the DVC resorts aren't "the nice places", what is? The GF? If the GF is your taste and means, what's the issue here?

Also, I guess Locals would be down on DVC. As would the Sentinel, as they want to appeal to their readership. Why? Well, why would anyone, who wasn't loaded, spend thousands of dollars on Hotel rooms when they live just down the street, much less purchase a DVC membership? Of course they are against it. They should be! And if they are loaded, the whole question about value/afford-ability is moot.

In the event someone, someday reads these posts as they are considering purchasing DVC, I feel I must clear the air a little here.

It does not cost $100,000 to join the DVC. More like $17,000 and up to join. Yes there are membership dues. No, they are not "incredibly high". $65/month is starting. If 65/month would be a hardship for your family, DVC may not be for you. See Slappy's post above for some good examples of what you could get with this kind of purchase. I own similarly, and I plan the go to WDW 3 times for 5 nights each time in a year! Which brings me to the next point.

With DVC, actually, yes, you can "control the dates". As Formercast pointed out, "you don't own a time period any where". You own a yearly vacation point allotment that can be used when you see fit. This is one of the upsides of DVC! When you are dependent on discount offers, that's when you can't control the dates, because you can't control when they will be offered. For example, see all the people anxiously awaiting the free dining promotion. There are entire web pages dedicated to "Code Watch: December 2010!" Last year I salivated over free dining and missed on the dates. Discount started too late and I was out.

DVC does "cut you breaks". DVC members get 25% off the rental price of DVC rooms they opt to pay cash for instead of using points. 25% off a $315 VWL room would be $236, about the same price as quoted by our concerned citizen as a deal, I believe. Also, DVC members, and their families get $100 off AP's. Not a big deal to FL residents, but to the other 190 million people in the USA, that means something.

Next you do not have to "book at least 10 months in advance". The truth is you can book from 11 months in advance (at the most)on up to the next day, if it is available. It likely wouldn't be, but since we are discussing "have to"s, I thought we should cover all possibilities. Places I would like to stay this summer are still available as I am typing this only 4 months out.

If considering DVC, do consider it carefully. Do read analysis of someone not employeed by Disney, who has taken the time to "do the math", and can offer a fair, fact based point of view. It could be the best vacation decision you've ever made. It appears that it does not work well for some locals, though. But that does not make it a bad deal.

slappy magoo

Actually, I think I represent a lot of people. I think the numbers in the excel spreadsheet are incorrect and use book value that most people don't and shouldn't pay. We stay in deluxe hotels frequently and I don't think I have ever paid as much as he quotes. You can make the numbers say anything you want, but I suggest you look at what the local papers even say about DVC. The Orlando Sentinel in October of 2007 called DVC the biggest Disney mirage or all time. I think you are so caught up in being a member, you have decided that all of us who think DVC is senseless must be wrong. Funny how I can't find any timeshare including luxury ones that cost even 1/2 of the DVC, yet somehow you tell me that DVC is such a great deal. Dribble!

Wow. I don’t know where you could’ve gotten such a wrong impression of what I’ve written…

Wait, I take that back, I DO have an idea where you could’ve gotten such a wrong impression of what I’ve written. But if you’re going to be exploring all up "in there," I hope that a: You’re wearing gloves, and b: you don’t have a S.O. who might walk in on you in the middle of the act, because THAT’S a Springer episode waiting to happen.

If you think DVC is senseless for your needs, that's all well and good. But that's not whatyou're saying, now. I’m dumping on you because you’re dumping on everyone that enjoys their DVC membership. You’re dumping on them, on us, in that passive-aggressive “I hope everyone’s opinion is welcome and valid, but I think anyone who joins DVC is an idiot, OH, are there DVC members HERE? OOOOPS! OOOOHHH welllll” troll-baiting kinda way. And you know you are, so stop the schtick. To say DVC makes no sense to you is one thing, to say DVC makes no sense for anyone is a whole nother inconsiderate and insulting thing,

I’ve done the math, for ME, based on my situation, not yours, nor anyone else’s. I’ve checked out rack rates, AAA rates, advertised promotions to the general public, AND the usual-holy grail of passholder rates. Since joining, based on what I’ve paid in membership dues, compared to the rooms and suites in which I’ve stayed and when, it works out to be the equivalent of passholder rates PLUS almost 4500 dollars, or 25%+ of my initial investment, in 3 years.

Now, once again, I don’t look at DVC as an investment. I think it’s important to repeat it, because you seem really hung up on money. But every DVC member reaches a break-even point, where what they’ve paid in the initial investment and dues “catches up” to the money they would’ve spent on trips. If you’re always searching for the best deals, it might take longer to reach that oh-so-magical break-even point than other people. It might take 20 years, hell, it might take 30 years. But it happens. You reach it. It’s money that might get a better ROI elsewhere, IF you’re looking for an investment. But then again, you wouldn’t have gone on as many trips, had as many memories, with that money tied up in your portfolio, barring an instant stock windfall or if you’re “investing” in lottery tickets that happen to hit...

Finally, I don’t know if you’re saying DVC costs 100K because YOU need 1000 points, or you’re factoring in what you’ll pay in dues for the length of your deed. But if it’s the former, most people won’t need 1000 points, and it’s highly misleading to suggest otherwise. If it’s the latter, dude, it’s DVC. Disney Vacation CLUB. Anyone who joins a golf club, tennis club, beach club…anyone who lives in an apartment or housing complex with a community center, pays dues, or a single initial payment, or BOTH, to that club. Even regular old timeshare (that MUCH cheaper investment) has dues. And club memberships rarely, if ever, turn a profit in and of themselves. So again, you're being disingenuous and misleading. But based on your prior posts n this thread, hey, it's how you roll

And with that, I’m done with this, and you, on this thread. Feel free to send e a PM if you really want to spew more nonsense, but as a rule, in PM’s I’m usually not THIS polite.

formercast84

Insulting

I see that your being insulting was supposed to be a postive thing? DVC is good if you have a lot of money and are willing to pay extra to be a Disney with a guarantee. By the way, calling these a luxury stay is a real stretch. I don't recall seeing the valet, the brass fixtures, marble floors and marble bathrooms, or the crystal in any of the rooms I have been in. Since we is a Disneyfied Comfort Inn considered luxury?

I am sure you think DVC is a good deal, but don't impose those bizzare accounting methods on the rest of us. The numbers don't add up. You are right that locals don't see as much value in DVC. that is probably because we see the problems in making it all make sense to a person's pocketbook. Disney has a long standing reputation that if they put the Disney name on something that they can charge double or tripple for it compared to everything else. Think what you want, but there are a large number of us that think DVC is a total rip off and you can EASILY beat their hotels, rooms, rates, and fees while staying in something a lot nicer. Rather than Disney being a Premier timeshare, maybe it should be known as a timeshare for a premium. That would be a lot more accurate.

Oh well, since DVC members are getting insulting, I see no reason to read anymore of the the "stuff" being written here. Enjoy your dreamworld. After all, isn't that what the Disney magic is all about?:ROFLOL::wave:

OKW1993

I don't think formercast84's departure from WDW was amicable. With all that bitterness bottled-up inside them, it's no wonder they feel a need to bash what 50,000+ members feel is a wonderful thing.

DVC is NOT for everyone, but its' our choice to spend our money how we see fit.

DisneyPhD

So much of this reminds me of another that couldn't see the value in DVC. Anyone remember Dead Man Walking? Much of the same arguments, that DVC members just don't get it.

For my two cents, using DVC since 2002 we have spent to date, $250 per night to stay at the DVC resorts (a combination of studio and 1 BR). That number is based on our one time puchase price into DVC and all of our annual dues. Essentially we are at (or well past) our break even point. For the next 30 years or so that per night average just keeps going down.

Phonedave

And club memberships rarely, if ever, turn a profit in and of themselves. So again, you're being disingenuous and misleading. But based on your prior posts n this thread, hey, it's how you roll

And with that, I’m done with this, and you, on this thread. Feel free to send e a PM if you really want to spew more nonsense, but as a rule, in PM’s I’m usually not THIS polite.

Excellent Slappy

Just to chime in. I ran the numbers, real number, not fake numbers. And I used rates I was paying based on LOTS of research to get the lowest AP rates I could. I will come out ahead on my DVC membership. I also took a look at the fact that I buy AP's for myself and my two kids every year. The discount I get with my DVC membership takes a nice chunk out of that cost, further offsetting the yearly dues. And I did NOT use that as part of my initial decision making analysis, because who knows, I my stop getting AP's every year at some point.

Sorry to disappoint the nay-sayers, but the DVC works for me. I also happen to travel to Orlando on business every so often, most of the time on 3 weeks notice, often midweek. I extend my trip a day or two, and stay in my DVC. I may not get the exact resort I want, but I have yet to be denied a room.

It was also not an investment for me. I looked at it and asked myself "is this going to cost me a lot of money" When I did look at the numbers I was in fact suprised that in the long run it will save me money. That was not my intent however. Even if, over the next 50 years it was a break even, or cost me a few bucks MORE, I would have done it, and been glad I did. There is a differnt level of service with DVC, I just like what I get for my investment.

Oh, and Slappy, the reason I quoted you above is because you made a slight mistake there. Read your contract. The DVC is FORBIDDEN to make any profit on member dues. The DVC makes all its profits on the sales of the property. Your dues reflect the actual maintainence and operating costs of the property. Thats why, for example, Member Services is closed on Holidays. If it was open, you, me, and the other Members would pay more in dues. In fact, Disney has an incentive to keep dues as low as possible, while still keeping owners happy. Low dues makes it easier for their sales staff. With lower dues, Disney can sell the actual propety for a higer margin, and still have buyers. Kind of nice when it all works out, isn't it?

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom