Does Disney enforce age for kids meals?

kbmb

Original Poster
We are not on any dining plan......we just make general food reservations at a few places during our stay.

Son is 10....so he has an adult ticket and is listed as 10 in the Disney profile. I notice that kids meals are 3-9 for most restaurants. When you make a reservation, and he is listed.....will they force him to choose off the adult menu? Frankly.....he barely eats, so I'd hate to have to pay adult prices when all he really wants are the kids meals.

Thanks!

-Kevin

kbmb

Original Poster
The CM's are pretty easy going with this situation. But your child will be charged as an adult if you go to a buffet style place. We've done this plenty of times.

Thanks for the info. Guessing they know based off of the age in the profile (even though technically I could change it back to 9)?

Always thought 10 was a little young to be an adult ;)

-Kevin

kbmb

Original Poster
My son [now 20] was absolutely thrilled when he turned 10 and Disney considered him an "Adult"! :hilarious:

Dad wasn't as impressed... :cautious:

As was mine when I purchased tickets and told him he's an adult!!

Problem is he is the pickiest eater and honestly only ever eats "kids meals". So he wouldn't think twice about getting the chicken nuggets/mac&cheese etc. Of course his sister at 8 is more like 18.....so maybe we'll just have her order adult meals and he gets the kids meal :p

-Kevin

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It will depend on the restaurant. Most of the Disney owned places will not bat an eye at and older kid or even an adult ordering a kids meal. At most they will charge a sur-charge and give him an adult portion.

The non-Disney owned places can be a bit hit or miss. Some will not even entertain the idea of someone 10 or older ordering from the kids menu. La Hacienda is one such place.

DABIGCHEEZ

I have been eating from the kids menu for about 35 years now. I gotten some strange looks I'll tell you. :D ;)

I wouldn't see it being a real problem for your 10 year-old though. If the waiter/waitress insists to charge as an adult just take it off his/her tip.:jawdrop:

One thing that does stink at WDW, is the buffet situation. My son @ 16 is still a very picky eater(getting better, but a long way to go). We could not really go to dinner buffets, because he would be charged as an adult which was ridiculous because he would eat like 3 chicken nuggets. or a scoop of mac n cheese(I didn't want to even pay the kids buffet price for Mac& cheese. I would have to go to buffets for dinner with my daughter... who would has no problem getting her monies worth from a buffet especially Boma. Breakfast buffets were ok for my son though as that is his favorite meal of the day where he would actually eat his share...so I didn't mind.

kbmb

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I would hope the only time I would ever have a problem with age being forced is in something like a buffet where the portions can't be controlled. In the end, kids meals are priced not based on the person eating....but on the food served. I would hope Disney wouldn't have an issue with anyone ordering off the kids menu in a normal restaurant setting.

-Kevin

jaklgreen

If you are paying OOP, then they really do not care. Order what you want. But we have found that most restaurants give a lot of food so your child could share with you guys. That way you would save money and he would be able to eat some decent food instead of crappy burgers and chicken fingers the whole time. Getting a couple of meals and maybe and appetizer would probably be enough for all of you.

Baldy

My son was a picky eater too (still is at 14). Most places let him order off of the kids menu when he has 10. There were few that first offered to give him an adult portion of the kids meal, but when we explained that he really only ate 4 chicken nuggets for dinner, they would bring him the kids meal. It is the server/restaurant's discretion though since technically it goes against the rules. No one asked for proof of age, but we were honest with the servers and on six of our seven days that trip we were given and charged for a kid's meal. (This was 4 years ago though, so things may have changed.)

Hockey89

Why is this necessary?
Very simple Jenn.... they set the age limits for a reason and asking questions about the best way to lie about it to save money.... That's why Jenn... Don't like the age limits don't go.... It's like the thread in the hotel section.... Yes, they care about swimming after hours or they wouldn't have signs... yes, that even means you and your special darlings...

JennSmith

Very simple Jenn.... they set the age limits for a reason and asking questions about the best way to lie about it to save money.... That's why Jenn... Don't like the age limits don't go.... It's like the thread in the hotel section.... Yes, they care about swimming after hours or they wouldn't have signs... yes, that even means you and your special darlings...
1. I do not and never intended on lying to get anything cheaper/free. I do not/never intended on lying period.
2. I am going to assume that by "you and your special darlings" you mean that in general since I did not post that and again, never have I once intended on swimming after hours.

I just wonder why it's necessary to get all preachy on the message board...I don't get it. I mean this place is supposed to be fun. I get if the OP wanted to shave like several years off of their child's age but they are talking literally a year and maybe months depending on when exactly their child turned 10. Also, it's not like they are asking to pay children's meal prices and get an adult's meal in exchange. They want exactly what they're paying for. Look, you are a "well known member" so I do respect that. They asked a question and expected answers, not parenting judgment on what lessons they teach their kids. I just don't and probably never will understand why anyone feels the need to get all preachy on other people's parenting, which to me is what your posts came across as. No, it's none of my business and yes, I may have misunderstood your intentions but ugh to the preachy parenting lessons sometimes on here...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom