1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone miss Alien Encounter, or is it just me?

Discussion in 'Past Attractions' started by Tyler Moore, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Bulldog1653

Bulldog1653 Active Member

My wife and I experienced Alien Encounter on our honeymoon in 1997. It scared the hell out of her to the point that she was crying. I loved it and miss it.
    With Stitch's Great Escape replacing Alien Encounter, it made it a little less scary and more humorous and a lot more people like it. Personally, I prefer Alien Encounter but I understand why it was replaced.

2. SimulatedIntelligentRobot

SimulatedIntelligentRobot Well-Known Member

I miss the pre-show. Why did WDI have to remove S.I.R.?!

3. P_Radden

P_Radden Premium Member

Lol you must really miss it a lot to post 4 comments in 4 different threads about it in a 10 minute period:

4. SimulatedIntelligentRobot

Haha, yes I do! ;)

P_Radden likes this.
  5. DavidS1234

DavidS1234 Member

I also enjoyed AE. I have a slightly different angle to it though. I was a CM, and an audiophile...so my favorite thing about it was going down to the section of underground tunnel that ran beneath the ride, and standing next to the double-doors that lead to the room containing all the massive subwoofers that created the bass effects for the ride. During the shows, that whole stretch of tunnel wall would vibrate...it was pretty cool.

Kram Sacul and P_Radden like this.
  6. SimulatedIntelligentRobot

I actually like Rex way better now. "IT'S MY FIRST FLIGHT TODAY!"

FigmentPigments and DavidS1234 like this.
  7. nerdboyrockstar

nerdboyrockstar Well-Known Member

This was my favorite attraction at MK so this was a tough loss, but it makes zero sense to me that they would remove this. Yes, Disney is family-friendly but who got the bright idea that families are all the perfect age to ride all of the attractions across the parks? I have great memories of my childhood at Disney World.. and quite a few of those include us splitting up while I backed out of stuff I was too small for/scared of.

8. DavidS1234

DavidS1234 Member

Heh...I totally understand. It's hard to cope with the desire to re-live memories of places that no longer exist...especially when they have a strong personal connection. The key is to understand that, even if you were able to go ride that ride one more time, it wouldn't have the same mystique as it had when you were a child. That's the beauty of memories. Just one of those life lesson things I suppose. Nothing stays the same...including people. :)

9. SimulatedIntelligentRobot

I saw a home video of it from 1997 and I just realized why it closed. For one thing, the preshow depicts a cute lil thingy getting killed by a robot who obviously doesn't want him there. S.I.R. KILLED A PUPPY. (Well, not really...)

And then in the main show, there's an implication that the alien ate someone alive. AND THERE'S BLOOD. AT A DISNEY THEME PARK. Yeah.

10. unkadug

unkadug Follower of "Saget"The Cult

There was no blood.

There were signs explaining that it was an intense attraction.

Everything at Disney does not have to be geared towards 6 year olds.

11. SimulatedIntelligentRobot

I know that, but damn, that preshow was unexpected. The 1994 version was better.

I guess kids today could handle the attraction, what with Creepypasta and all that.

12. Wrangler-Rick

Wrangler-Rick Well-Known Member

Yep, and I blame all the stupid parents! I remember parents taking young kids on the ride and the kids would come out bawling their eyes out. They obviously had no clue what the attraction was like, they completely ignored all the warning signs and then they raised enough of a stink to curse us with Stitch for the rest of eternity. And that is why we can't have nice things....

13. SimulatedIntelligentRobot

JUST GIVE US AE BACK! LET'S ALL BOYCOTT STITCH AND WRITE TO DISNEY TELLING THEM TO BRING AE BACK!

Yeah!

14. MKCP 1985

MKCP 1985 Well-Known Member

If any company could predict in advance who its idiotic patrons would be so that they could be refused admission, that information could be sold for a fortune to make the acquisition cost of magic bands look like chump change. Idiots ignoring warnings and then complaining are everywhere!

15. DisneyFans4Life

DisneyFans4Life Well-Known Member

I only did AE a few times as a kid and hated it...it was way too loud for me. I've done SGE a few times as well, but feel it's pretty much the same experience. It's one attraction that I pass by everytime I'm at MK.

16. SimulatedIntelligentRobot

To me now, Simulated Intelligence Robotics would be better off in Innoventions. Wait, scratch that - he's better off dead.

17. Hedwig's Keeper

Hedwig's Keeper Active Member

It was a great attraction because it was technologically different. I wish more attractions were technologically unique.

18. SimulatedIntelligentRobot

Someone on a Touhou forum posted an idea for a Touhou version, entitled "Koumakan Encounter". Flandre would be loose in the audience. Plus, the preshow would be Sakuya and Meiling.

19. SimulatedIntelligentRobot

Also, SIR = TOM (from Toonami)

20. BiffyClyro

BiffyClyro Well-Known Member

Unfortunately my first trip was in '06 and Stich had just opened, but the attraction looked great. Makes you realise how poor the Stich revamp has always been... Never been popular even from opening and im a fan of the character, growing up with it and all.