Does an almost 5 year old need a stroller?

Annielkd

There has been a lot of time since my last post... and I've changed my mind. I was there in April... I saw so many whiny kids in the strollers, noticed parents clogging up everwhere pushing them around (looking WAY more exhausted then the kids)... and I think the answer is NO. I think they should use them if they have a disability... but, for kids 5 and up they should walk. There was a girl who looked about 8 who was about 100 pounds in the stroller. I think most kids should be able to walk the distance needed. Kids will get tired in the afternoon and might even need a nap... so leave, have a nap and return. But save the strollers for infants and todlers... kids should walk and have been walking for centuries! (Think about it... when you were 5 didn't you run all over and walk all the time?)

Kita79

I think I'm just going to bring it with me just in case. I'm doing Disney World all by myself with my kid. No one could come with us and her dad is not a part of her life so it is all on me. I can't lugging my camera, my video camera, cooler, souvenirs, and a five year old at the end of a long day of touring. Definitely will make her walk until she gets tired then in the stoller she goes.

ferbtones

We were there at Easter with our 4 and 8 year olds. Had a 3 week vacation. Did not take stroller. Hired a Disney one 3 times during the whole vacation. $ year old very good at walking though. If she was flagging we stopped for a rest. It was lovely not having to shove them about.

he Disney strollers are lovely to push though.

SMZ MD

Just got back from WDW and stay at BWV. Used our stroller every day from the plane trip to walking the boardwalk with our 3 yo. Left in PM for naps and back at night with stroller. My daughter was happier only having to walk in that scorching heat occasionally. stroller provided a shady area for her in hot sun. For an older kid( I also have 12 and 14 yo) we didn't bring the stroller when they gor to 5yo but in retrospect we probably should have. For those who say you should leave the park for naps and when your kid gets a little fussy, they need to understand that sometimes people are making their only trip to the parks in several years or ever. They paid for the ticket and can stay as long as they want to. If their child naps in the stroller so what . Disney is for kids too and strollers are a part of that.

Minnie1976

I'd bring a light weight umbrella stroller. Easier than carrying a tired child, and they take up hardly no room and fold quickly.

Annielkd

Just got back from WDW and stay at BWV. Used our stroller every day from the plane trip to walking the boardwalk with our 3 yo. Left in PM for naps and back at night with stroller. My daughter was happier only having to walk in that scorching heat occasionally. stroller provided a shady area for her in hot sun. For an older kid( I also have 12 and 14 yo) we didn't bring the stroller when they gor to 5yo but in retrospect we probably should have. For those who say you should leave the park for naps and when your kid gets a little fussy, they need to understand that sometimes people are making their only trip to the parks in several years or ever. They paid for the ticket and can stay as long as they want to. If their child naps in the stroller so what . Disney is for kids too and strollers are a part of that.

I don't know about you... but, I don't think Disney is for kids... it's for kids of all ages. I actually think it's geared to the adult.

zaz

THank you for this post. My daugther is 4 1/2 and pretty mobile, but she does tend to fall asleep in the car in the early PM... I think the stroller might come in handy for naps.
How does the logistics work? You drop it when getting in line, amongst a sea of strollers and hope to get it back afterwards with the stuff you had put in the basket?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
THank you for this post. My daugther is 4 1/2 and pretty mobile, but she does tend to fall asleep in the car in the early PM... I think the stroller might come in handy for naps.
How does the logistics work? You drop it when getting in line, amongst a sea of strollers and hope to get it back afterwards with the stuff you had put in the basket?

Put what appears to be a dirty diaper in a ziplock bag and tie it to your stroller.

Nobody will touch your stroller! :eek:

bethymouse

I used a double stroller once...

My boys, 3 years old didn't really need a stroller, but when we decided to stay for the Spectro Magic Parade (4 yrs ago) and the fireworks, a nice lady GAVE us her double stroller because they were leaving.:)
It was a blessing, but my one boy fell fast asleep for the fireworks! Can you believe it?:lol:

alle

Rented a double stroller from Kingdom Strollers for our petite 7 and 9 year old granddaughters. Excellent stroller and was so needed. Both girls napped in it at various times. They thanked us for getting it and it worked perfectly for our family.:king:

MVP Heather

My oldest son is 5 and for our vacation this September we decided that we would leave his stroller at home basically because he doesn't fit into a standard umbrella stroller. (He is about the size of a 6 or 7 year old) If my son still fit into an umbrella stroller, I would let him ride. In a crowd, for napping purposes and for late at night is when we appreciate it and will miss it most this year.

HouCuseChickie

I don't know about you... but, I don't think Disney is for kids... it's for kids of all ages. I actually think it's geared to the adult.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Walt's original focus in having these parks built was families. i.e. he watched his children at parks and thought that the kids were having fun, but there was nothing really for the parents to do or to interact with their children. So, he wanted to design a park where the kids and parents could have fun together. This vision is also part of WDW and the other Disney parks. Now, obviously WDW and all of the other Disney parks are great for kids of all ages...but this all came about b/c of parent-child interaction opportunities...or lack there of. So, while it's not solely about kids- children were definitely a major part of the vision and driving force behind everything created, modified, or taken out of the parks. Now obviously- not everything is geared for young children and some things are good for all audiences, but children are a huge factor for Disney and all that they do.

bethram

Original Poster
We took the stroller on our seven day trip and only used it for an afternoon or two. We went to the parks each morning with out the stroller, then we went back to the resort almost every afternoon for a nap, and the only time we used the stroller in the evening was when my son wouldn't wake up from his nap and we had some fast passes we needed to get back to use before the window was up. It was actually much easier not to have the stroller but it was nice to have the option. I don't regret taking it with us at all.

EvilQueen-T

My husband and I are having a debate about this. Our son used one last year, when he was 3.5 and fell asleep almost every day around lunch. My husband thinks that an almost 5 year old is too big for a stroller and that he needs to learn to walk on his own and normally I agree. However I think our vacation will be much more pleasant if we're not dragging or carrying around a cranky kid for the second half of the day.

Your opinions and personal experience would be appreciated.

my granddaughter and i are season passholders so we've taken at least a dozen trips since she was 3...she's now 8. i still rent a stroller at the park and here's why... i don't have the best back so holding her in line, even at 3 just wasn't an option. i don't deal with a whining, leaning, clinging child (especially in the heat) and we have a place to leave our extra bag (rain ponchos, autograph book, snacks) on the stroller so i don't carry anything but my phone, id, and kttk card onto rides. we are able to go park open to the end of emh and we all leave happy. only you can make the decision as to if your child needs one or not and my daughter (back in the day before emh's) walked the parks by 6 so you just never know. if you go for a longer vacation it can be a lot of hours for a youngster imo so why make your vacation harder by wearing them out when you don't need to. if you find that he's up and walking rather than riding just don't get one the next day.

DisDadEddie

It is good to have the option! My daughter would walk most of the trip at 5 but sit at the end of the night especially while waiting for buses back to the resort. My daughter is 6 and my son is 2 so we bought a sit and stand stroller. My daughter is not allowed to sit until the end of the night. Our last trip in January she walked the entire trip, only sitting while waiting for the buses.

lewisjerry274

signature_Amz.jpg

We are going to Disney World in June. I have a 5 year old and 11 year old. We are staying 8 days, which I know are going to be loooong days. It won't be like we're only in the parks for 2 hours.We will obviously take breaks during the day to eat, rest as much as possible etc. A co-worker of my husband's suggested we purchase a lightweight stroller for our 5 year old, as she will be worn out midday, and we will likely not want to carry her constantly in 90 degree heat. LOL, this sounds almost silly to ask but is it appropriate for a 5 year old to need a stroller? I mean, I see the point, but I can't even imagine her fitting in one with out her long long legs draggint he ground. Just wondered what other moms thought about this. Good idea? Or No? And if so...do they make strollers for "big kids"?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just got back and we brought the double stroller for my 2 and 5 year olds. We mainly wanted it for the airport since we had both kids a car seat and 3 carryon bags. We brought it to the park too and it was useful. We were debating bringing just an umbrella stroller for the 2 year old but it worked out having the double The 5 year old still wanted to ride some of the time and we used it to hold our diaper bag and also drinks for us and them. It was quite an adventure getting from the front of the castle to the exit after the fireworks in the thick crowd, but then we walked back to BLT and it was much faster with the boys riding. We are going back in Nov-13 and we were debating this same question. I think we may just rent for that trip since we will have a 6.5 year old and an almost 4 year old. Without the stroller you will be slowed down if the little ones get tired and you could end up carrying them.

bucklepants

I'm debating on this one myself. We don't even own a stroller anymore. My daughter will be almost 6 our next trip. (We have about a year.) We are trying to train her by taking walks and bike rides, but she wears out quickly. When we go to malls and such she wears out fast! (Maybe our training isn't diligent enough?) She also gets clingy and whiny at that point. I know my husband and I are gunho at the parks.. soo maybe a cheap umbrella stroller might be a good idea. Do they even make them big enough for an almost 6 yr old?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom