Does an almost 5 year old need a stroller?

bethram

Original Poster
My husband and I are having a debate about this. Our son used one last year, when he was 3.5 and fell asleep almost every day around lunch. My husband thinks that an almost 5 year old is too big for a stroller and that he needs to learn to walk on his own and normally I agree. However I think our vacation will be much more pleasant if we're not dragging or carrying around a cranky kid for the second half of the day.

Your opinions and personal experience would be appreciated.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Some kids will be OK at 5 without a stroller but most will not. Just think of how tired you are at the end of a day of touring the parks and then realize that your 5 year old is having to make nearly double the amount of paces to cover the same distance you do. You could try going without a stroller but I have a feeling that you will be renting one within a day or two. We began to ween our youngest off the stroller when she hit 48". She would be good for a 1-2 day trip without it, but would be pretty spent if we were there any longer.

RonAnnArbor

The general rule of thumb, according to all the travel books as well, is YES....

You might only use the stroller for a short part of the day, but it will make it easier...even if all you do is use it to haul around your backpack and jacket for much of the day --

But when that almost 5 year old gets tired, into the stroller he/she goes....and it's a lifesaver exiting the park at the end of the day after the fireworks or parade --- they sit, you push, and no hassles....

bethram

Original Poster
I have suggested to DH that we bring one with us, but try the first day, a half day, without it. That way we've got it when he realizes it's not a good idea to try to make our son walk the whole time.

EcstaticMom

A baby stroller is a MUST. Comfort wise, you should have one. Imagine the stress you'll be getting carrying or allowing your little one to walk into the crowd and parks for hours.

tigsmom

I have suggested to DH that we bring one with us, but try the first day, a half day, without it. That way we've got it when he realizes it's not a good idea to try to make our son walk the whole time.

Good call.

I was going to suggest trying to go without one and see what happens because you could always rent one if needed.

Our kids used them to about age 6 because walking all day in the hot sun (we used to go on summer vacation) was just too much; they didn't use them all the time, but it was good to have if needed.

bmarkelon

I agree! It won't hurt to bring it down, and you most likely will use it. It depends on the child a little too. My oldest was fine without a stroller at 4/5 while my middle monkey is a little lazier and preferred getting pushed through the parks on our last trip he was just over four. We will have to decide for our August trip if he needs the stroller again at just over 5. Probably, but it would be nice to just need a single stroller again for the little one vs the double.

Walking around the parks all day can be tiring. A stroller will give your son a chance for some time out and a rest. Tired children can make a day difficult!!

njDizFan

Well hopefully this thread doesn't blow up since this can be a very touchy subject, I can only give you my experience.

When I brought my 4 1/2 year old daughter a we decided not to go with the stroller. For us it worked out fine. Even though it was mid August she was a real trooper. We got to the parks around 10 stopped and had a nice long lunch break and stayed till after dinner for most nights. We didn't park hop but we did go fairly commando style.

Now she didn't complain and stayed with us step for step. She was not taking an afternoon nap at home since she was a little over 3 so it was not neccesary at the parks.

Then when we went with her again on her 6th birthday it was all out knowing there would be no issues.

Judge your own child accordingly, their nap schedule(if needed) and fitness and temperment. It's easy to judge since my child was perfectly fine without a stroller but some kids may need it.

By 6 I don't think any able bodyied child should need a stroller. But again judge your own child and your own needs.

erstwo

Some kids will be OK at 5 without a stroller but most will not. Just think of how tired you are at the end of a day of touring the parks and then realize that your 5 year old is having to make nearly double the amount of paces to cover the same distance you do. You could try going without a stroller but I have a feeling that you will be renting one within a day or two. We began to ween our youngest off the stroller when she hit 48". She would be good for a 1-2 day trip without it, but would be pretty spent if we were there any longer.

What he said! We'll be taking a stroller for my 5 1/2 year old this time. I finally kicked my (now) 8 year old out of the stroller last year. He's done okay. He still can't keep up completely, but we were doing more and more park time with just the 3 of us (myself and the 2 kids) and I can only push one stroller, so he just had to adjust. :D He's too big now anyways.

But I always say - if I could fit in one (and talk my husband into pushing me :lol:) I'd be in one in a heartbeat!

Well hopefully this thread doesn't blow up since this can be a very touchy subject, I can only give you my experience.

When I brought my 4 1/2 year old daughter a we decided not to go with the stroller. For us it worked out fine. Even though it was mid August she was a real trooper. We got to the parks around 10 stopped and had a nice long lunch break and stayed till after dinner for most nights. We didn't park hop but we did go fairly commando style.

Now she didn't complain and stayed with us step for step. She was not taking an afternoon nap at home since she was a little over 3 so it was not neccesary at the parks.

Then when we went with her again on her 6th birthday it was all out knowing there would be no issues.

Judge your own child accordingly, their nap schedule(if needed) and fitness and temperment. It's easy to judge since my child was perfectly fine without a stroller but some kids may need it.

By 6 I don't think any able bodyied child should need a stroller. But again judge your own child and your own needs.

You aren't kidding! :lol: There are all out wars over the stroller thing. My favorite is the 'you are ruining your child for all time and they will grow up to be a lazy good for nothing, couch dwelling, welfare dependent person because you let them ride in a stroller at Disney." :lookaroun At least you speak from experience! :sohappy: Half the time it's people who don't have children (or who do, but are 10 years removed from the 5 to 6 year old age group and won't change their tune until their grandkids arrive. :D My parents were all for 'pull yourself up by the bootstraps' too, until my kids came along and all of the sudden, they want to know why I won't push my son - who comes up to my shoulders height wise - in a stroller anymore! :lookaroun)

heartodisney

We bought one of the "disposable" strollers...and also used the bag carrier from a camp chair to carry the stroller...worked great for our 4 y.o....she could ride late in the day and we could carry said device much easier! Good luck!

mpeters

I agree with everyone. It is hard for children to keep up during the day. I know im tired at the end of the day and i could just imagine how tired my twin sons would be. We are going August of this year and were debating about bringing our stroller. sons will be 7 at that time. We just said heck with it we are bringing it. if they want to walk then they will walk, if they are tired they can ride. Plus having a stroller is a great place to keep all your stuff anyway.

Mrs.Skellington

Our last trip my 2nd oldest daughter was 7, nephew was 6, son was 4 and baby daughter was 2. All of them rode in the strollers. We had three. One double and two single. By the end of the night, they were all asleep in the stroller either for the parade or the fireworks. the two youngest took naps in them during the day.

It is definitely a back saver and an easy place to store your belongings instead of carrying them the entire day. Just remember to tie something too it to identify yours from the countless other strollers that look alike in the park.

This year, we are going to try to not bring a stroller. The kids will be 9, 8, 6, 5. Our reasoning behind this is we have two handicapped adults with us who will be in wheelchairs(they are confined all the time not just at Disney :brick:Hate that I feel I need to justify that but some people get upset with wheelchairs and strollers.) If and when the children get tired of walking, they can ride on laps on the wheelchairs.

Might bring just a little umbrella stroller just in case.:veryconfu

KC82271

This upcoming trip is my daughters 11th. She is 6 and a half. I will be bringing the stroller once again. She manages without it most of the day, but she is 52 inches tall and 52 pounds. I cannot manage to carry her at midnight back to the bus and then back to the room. We take the stroller and drop it off in one of the many stroller parking lots in the parks and come back for it later. For example, when in Fantasyland, we will drop it off by Pooh, do all the attractions in the area, and then go back for it. It used more to lug around the jackets, backpacks, etc. than the kid. (One bit of advice....don't take any pictures of them in the stroller if you are posting them on any sites. My daughter will tell me point blank that she will not use it if I put the pictures on Facebook and her friends have any chance of seeing them. So we shoot around the stroller...and she willingly gets in at night!

EvilQueen-T

my granddaughter hasn't ridden in a stroller AT HOME since she was about 2 1/2 but at disney it's a LIFESAVER imo. i refuse to create then have to hold/carry an over tired over stimulated whining leaning on you in line 5 y/o. i enjoy having a place to hang my jacket and her things (autograph book, snacks etc), not worrying about her in a crowd and her having the stamina to go go go with no drama. we just went for a 3 night 4 days trip just the two of us and on our long days we still got a stroller and she's 7 (a small 7 but still 7). not a drop of drama no complaints of my feet are tired, no pick me up, no leaning/hanging all over me in line etc... i'm a grandmother and just don't have the umph to do that kind of stuff anymore. we just had a great easy trip. why make it harder on yourself. if you find that they go all day no problem and just don't use the stroller then just don't get it the next day but if they need it you'll be glad you have it.

erinshaneb

We went last September and my daughter was 5 and my son 18 months..we will be going again this September and my daughter will be 6 (guess I didn't have to do the math for you :shrug:) and we are renting a stroller from Kingdom strollers...She is tall for her age and I can't imagine her riding in one all day and I sure don't take one for her to the mall or the zoo, BUT I do have a wagon for festivals bcuz kids get tired !! It's a fact, one you just have to deal with..some days she didn't want to get in the stroller and I made her..after 15-20 minutes of just cruising she was normally ready and raring to go again and we "avoided" one of the "tired" meltdowns...it's just easier..plus with the double the younger one can ride and the other one can hold at the stuff you need for the kids at the park..gotta have somewhere to put that kitchen sink :ROFLOL:

woodardfamily

It's quite simple really. A WDW schedule is very demanding even on a parent. I have two children (3 and 7) and they will be in a stroller on our next trip in 80 days:) The enjoyment of WDW is exponential when you have two children who can keep up on those long days and a stroller makes that happen. I respect all of those who hate the strollers, but when they start paying my way, then I'll leave it at home. I don't use it as a battering ram, but I will not let another persons opinion dictate how I will enjoy MY trip with MY children.

It's quite simple really. A WDW schedule is very demanding even on a parent. I have two children (3 and 7) and they will be in a stroller on our next trip in 80 days:) The enjoyment of WDW is exponential when you have two children who can keep up on those long days and a stroller makes that happen. I respect all of those who hate the strollers, but when they start paying my way, then I'll leave it at home. I don't use it as a battering ram, but I will not let another persons opinion dictate how I will enjoy MY trip with MY children.

Good for you!! Happy children = Happy parents = Happy holiday.

JeffnPa

It depends on your schedule and length of Vacation. I would personally do a stroller becasue after the 2nd full day of activity he will be tired, plus it gives you extra room to haul items around. I have three kids the oldest is 7, she will walk while the other two ride, but it a nice option if the 7yr old hits the wall on day 5.

Joshua&CalebDad

I took my oldest son right after he turned three and again right after we turned 4 and we didn't need a stroller for him. He did just fine. The one thing you might want to think about is whether or not you will be coming out of the parks for mid-day naps. We did and I believe thats why things went so well. If you are coming out for mid-day naps you should be fine, if not take the stroller.

As always this will totally depend on your child. If you are going to be multiple day in the parks I would suggest you taking the stroller in for the first day and see how it goes. If things go well without the stroller, then leave it back at the room and so on. Good luck and have fun. :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom