Do you think Disney will finally fix the Yeti after Universal opens their new King Kong ride?

ssidiouss@mac.c

Original Poster
Maybe the fact that universal is opening a new attraction with a huge king kong animatronic will finally motivate someone at Disney to fix their broken disco yeti..

JIMINYCR

No..... They have gotten by with it being un-repaired for so long, it hasnt altered the number of guests riding.... so they must look at it as why go to the expense of shutting down and fixing when the ride is popular as it is. Those of us who grumble about the less than perfect ride and those of us who were able to experience it when it was working are in the minority. Even when Uni has a working Kong, it wont change the fact that guests will still ride EE as it is. Having us eventually comparing the working vs the un-working still wont matter.

The Tuna

If Kong was going in the Animal Kingdom then they might take EE down to repair or replace. Still a great ride regardless, but full motion Yeti is very cool.

kap91

Hasn't this been discussed ad nauseum? Avatar opens, wait six months to a year and a half, Everest will close for a very long refurb and the fix will happen.

TP2000

Not a Yeti, but an Abominable Snowman, but they are both big guys from the same genus and on the same payroll...

Matterhorn Bobsleds just reopened today from its 5 month refurbishment to update the Abominable Snowman (3 Animatronics of the same guy appears in the ride actually, and the CM's call him Harold). Harold also now appears digitally, as a projection behind ice walls on the lift hill.

Pretty impressive for an update to a 1959 attraction that was nothing but steel framing inside when Walt opened it!

Similar work could easily be done on Expedition Everest and its Yeti. All it takes is a few months of refurbishment and a WDW executive team that knows they are in show business first and foremost.

Theme Parkitect

I remember reading at some point in time that the Yeti could not be repaired very easily. Something to do with a miscalculation with the force bearing loads on his supporting column. Since he is mounting to a vertical pier instead of on a horizontal plane, the stress of the Yeti's forward and diving motion made it "unsafe" (possibly just being overcautious, as they should) to put him in A mode without possible structure damage to this very, very expensive AA.

I'm sure that they theoretically could fix him but it would take a lot more than it did for ole Harold on the Matterhorn.

Berret

In the Parks
No
I really don't think they will fix it. I would love to see it as it was originally intended, but at the same time, if Disney did fix it, I wonder how many people would flock to the ride for that alone(on a consistent basis, not just to see the novelty of it a couple times)? I'm sure they just don't see the cost as justified. I don't think there would be a measurable increase in park attendance just because of that one thing.

Chef Mickey

Hasn't this been discussed ad nauseum? Avatar opens, wait six months to a year and a half, Everest will close for a very long refurb and the fix will happen.
It may have been discussed, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion Disney will take down Everest just to fix the Yeti. They have made no official announcement and even with Avatarland, Animal Kingdom is sparse on attractions.

I'd be willing to bet with it running almost 10 years not working, Disney will be in no rush to fix it. At this point, almost no one even knows or remembers the Yeti is supposed to move. The rollercoaster works...why take it down for the 1% of us that know?

Sorry, I just know this is Disney's logic.

blueboxdoctor

Well, probably not. At least not right now. They have Avatar land to finish and promote (because Avatar is an already passed fad they will have to get people interested again, should have just made it a compilation of landscapes/planets from Star Wars, at least that is always relevant).

I could see them maybe one day trying to get it back in working order, perhaps during an extended refurbishment of the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom