Do you pay for soap? 1st time DVC rental

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
We are at Saratoga Springs - just 2 nights, first time renting DVC, kind of a "test run."

Love it so far - but while exploring after check-in, we found a sign posted inside the door of a kitchen cabinet. It listed an inventory of every item in the room, and optional priced extras such as a room cleaning.

I get all that. But also listed were prices for soap & shampoo, laundry detergent, etc.

We have soap and shampoo in our travel bags, as luck would have it. No need to purchase the $5 soap and shampoo package.

But these things are already in the room. Does that mean we would pay for them "mini-bar style" i.e. you use it, you pay for it? Or does it mean our DVC rental host provided them and included it in our prepaid costs?

Or is the basic "first batch" of soap included and extra would cost extra?

mouse_luv

From what I know. If you have a set of the little bottles of H2o+ products in your dvc bathroom somewhere (usually tub ledge or sink counter) those are the complimentary set. If you ask for more tho, youre charged now. :(

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
IMG_3544.JPG

This is the portion of the sign that maybe could be worded better. The towels are clearly labeled "extra." The "additional" part can be taken two ways.

Anyway, I called the front desk to confirm just to be on the safe side and yes, we can use the soap LOL.

Phonedave

IF you are there long enough to get a full clean, you will also get a soap refresh with that service.

Honestly, if you see housekeeping out in the hall, and you need an other bottle of shampoo, they usually will give you one. The charge is more to stop people from hoarding them and taking them home as souvineers.

-dave

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
The room when you arrive comes with all the same basic things that a regular room includes. Those are free and if you are only there 2 nights you will have all you need without needing anything extra. But if you need more you can request it and they may charge but they don't always charge. ;)

Otterhead

The room when you arrive comes with all the same basic things that a regular room includes. Those are free and if you are only there 2 nights you will have all you need without needing anything extra. But if you need more you can request it and they may charge but they don't always charge. ;)
When myself and 7 friends stayed in a Saratoga Springs Treehouse last month, we ran out of shampoo and coffee after a few days. I stopped by the front desk to pick up more, and the CM told me "I'm supposed to charge you for extra supplies, and from now on it'll be a cost, but just this once, they're free", and gave me a couple of tubes of shampoo and coffee packets. I had assumed they were free as needed.

sxeensweet

When myself and 7 friends stayed in a Saratoga Springs Treehouse last month, we ran out of shampoo and coffee after a few days. I stopped by the front desk to pick up more, and the CM told me "I'm supposed to charge you for extra supplies, and from now on it'll be a cost, but just this once, they're free", and gave me a couple of tubes of shampoo and coffee packets. I had assumed they were free as needed.

They are free as needed if not staying on points.(after your initial set) But if staying on points instead of paying cash they can charge if it's before they come on the 4th day schedule for cleaning for DVC rooms on points vs. cash. ;)

dreamfinder

Remember that DVC services are paid for through DVC dues, including Mousekeeping. So every extra cost technically drives up the dues incrementally. So even though that extra shampoo may only cost 10 cents, every extra bottle adds up. That first bottle is covered under the dues for your stay, but the extra bottles need to be paid for in some way, so technically the guest should be charged for it. Most mousekeepers will let it slide if you ask them, but it has to be paid somehow.

sxeensweet

Remember that DVC services are paid for through DVC dues, including Mousekeeping. So every extra cost technically drives up the dues incrementally. So even though that extra shampoo may only cost 10 cents, every extra bottle adds up. That first bottle is covered under the dues for your stay, but the extra bottles need to be paid for in some way, so technically the guest should be charged for it. Most mousekeepers will let it slide if you ask them, but it has to be paid somehow.

Also though they replenish on the 4th day schedule after that initial set. Only time they charge is inbetween the scheduled days. Totally agree though with it does have to be paid somehow and us members do pay for it. :)

Phonedave

Also though they replenish on the 4th day schedule after that initial set. Only time they charge is inbetween the scheduled days. Totally agree though with it does have to be paid somehow and us members do pay for it. :)

I get the whole "everything is in the dues, so everyone needs to pay for what they use" concept. However, for me, I don't mind housekeeping giving out the occassional bottle of shampoo or bar of soap, as long as it does not happen too much. IT's part of what makes DVC seem friendly. OK, so somone is getting a bottle of shampoo on my dime. Well, people also get poolside activities on my dime, they also get free DVD rentals that I pay for too, and all of those kids activities and crafts - I pay for them too, or at least the staff's salary. You can get to a point where "you pay for what you use" becomes a bit crazy.

However, some people just don't get the concept of "lets all be fair to each other" and if there was no charge for extra shampoo, they would take 20 bottles home with them. It's like those hotels that have free breakfast with your stay. Everbody pays for that in their room, even the people that don't eat. However you also see people stocking up on enough food to feed a family of 8 for a whole day. Some people just feel the need to abuse "free" items.

-dave

sxeensweet

I get the whole "everything is in the dues, so everyone needs to pay for what they use" concept. However, for me, I don't mind housekeeping giving out the occassional bottle of shampoo or bar of soap, as long as it does not happen too much. IT's part of what makes DVC seem friendly. OK, so somone is getting a bottle of shampoo on my dime. Well, people also get poolside activities on my dime, they also get free DVD rentals that I pay for too, and all of those kids activities and crafts - I pay for them too, or at least the staff's salary. You can get to a point where "you pay for what you use" becomes a bit crazy.

However, some people just don't get the concept of "lets all be fair to each other" and if there was no charge for extra shampoo, they would take 20 bottles home with them. It's like those hotels that have free breakfast with your stay. Everbody pays for that in their room, even the people that don't eat. However you also see people stocking up on enough food to feed a family of 8 for a whole day. Some people just feel the need to abuse "free" items.

-dave

Doesn't bother me either just agreed it is paid for by us members but unless someone abuses it it really does not cross my mind or bother me at all. I wouldn't let something that small be an issue. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom