Do you Gain or Lose Weight When You Visit WDW?

Do you Gain or Lose Weight when you go to WDW?

• Total voters

afar28

We get the free dining plan all the time and eat like pigs but I tend to lose weight from all the running from one end of the park to the other to get fastpasses :p

rufio

I think people who never get off the couch might lose or break even. People who exercise on a regular basis might break even or gain.

A lot depends on how much you normally exercise and what you eat. Disney makes it very easy to indulge, lol.

I always said, "The hell with it; I'm eating whatever I want" and generally had a few pounds to work off at the end of a trip, even with the walking and swimming. For me, the Key Lime pies, Strawberry Shortcakes, cheesy potatoes, ribs, puffed French toast and churros were worth it. :)

I exercise on a regular basis, but I never gain weight at WDW. I always do the dining plan and eat as much as I can possibly handle, but I guess with all the walking, I somehow break even! :confused:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I always hear people talking about walking-off all the food they eat at WDW.
A typical person burns about 200 calories per hour walking. So if you walk solid for 10 hours in a WDW day, you have used up around 2000 calories. Now we know that is very unrealistic, and the typical person is probably walking for no more than 3 or 4 hours tops, which translates to around 600 - 800 calories spent walking.

If you eat 3 meals on the Disney dining plan, with appetizers, entrees and desserts - along with the snacks, you can easily be clocking upwards of 4000 calories. The walking is really a drop in the ocean compared to the intake.

acishere

I need to bust my &@% just to stay in shape so there is no way that simply walking around the parks and some brief jogging in the morning can keep me from gaining fat. Especially with my "Screw it, I'm on vacation!" mentality I have when it comes to indulgent food and drinks at Epcot.

Mawg

The last few times I came back, I got on the scale and saw a 5 to 8 lb gain. After two days all but a pound or two were gone. I think I hold on to a lot of water weight when I'm there.

Castle Dreamer

I always diet before I go to offset the 2 to 5 pound weight gain I expect to have. The walking does not prevent weight gain for me, but I'm sure I gain less than if I didn't walk at all.

mamamouse

i think everytime I go a lose a few but then once i'm home for a bit they come back UGH grrrrr I'm the type that looks at food n gains it immediately so you might aswell take every disney cupcake there is and just duct tape them to my hiney lol,but in all honesty it's the walking because eventhough i walk at home it's not half as much as what i do in Disney

Goofyernmost

A typical person burns about 200 calories per hour walking. So if you walk solid for 10 hours in a WDW day, you have used up around 2000 calories. Now we know that is very unrealistic, and the typical person is probably walking for no more than 3 or 4 hours tops, which translates to around 600 - 800 calories spent walking.

If you eat 3 meals on the Disney dining plan, with appetizers, entrees and desserts - along with the snacks, you can easily be clocking upwards of 4000 calories. The walking is really a drop in the ocean compared to the intake.

Yes, but calories aren't weight, they are energy units that can add weight if not exercised away. The single biggest factor in weight loss at Disney is water weight. The more you sweat, the lighter you get. Personally, I think that we overdo the hydration thing. We only need so much fluid and when people carry around their 55 gallon drum of water and are constantly sipping away...they replace all the water in the system that was lost through sweating. That's good you say. Well, it would be if you were at dangerously low levels but if you have over hydrated you will get that bloated feeling that someone mentioned and you will not lose any weight. JMHO!

Mawg

I agree that we always think we are walking more than we really are. But, when we go we are booking it through the park, pushing a double stroller and carrying a back pack full of waters and cokes. Then there is swimming at the resort every afternoon and don't forget constantly smiling! It's probably more than 800 extra calories burnt but still does not equal the extra 2000 consumed.

Magenta Panther

Oh man, my first visit to WDW under the free, original meal plan, with the appetizer, main course and the dessert...I bet I gained five pounds, even with all of the walking. It was worth it, though. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom