Do you find that staying off site

wdwmomof3

We have been back for a month now and I have to say that we had a great trip. We stayed at Royal Plaza, close to DTD, and it was very nice but I really missed staying at a Disney Resort. I missed the Mickey soap, even if I bring my own, it's still so cute to bring home for the kids. I missed the dining plan, the Disney buses, the extra magic hours and just the feeling that you get when you stay at a Disney resort. Don't get me wrong, Royal Plaza was sort of like being on site because it was so close to Down Town Disney, just around the corner, but it didn't have that Disney flare that I love so much. Our room there was great though. We had two nice beds & a sleeper sofa so it worked great for the five of us.

For anyone staying there, the only advice that I could give you would be to drive to the parks. We did everyday and it was fine. One night, however, my DH got out of his meeting and headed to Epcot to meet us and he made it a full hour later. It seems that the bus goes to each park so you have to go to visit each one until you get to the one that you are visiting. Epcot was the third stop for him that day. Being the loving wife that I am, I had some fast passes waiting for him. :)

kirst_al UK

It works out so much cheaper for us to stay offsite, in the middle of everything, on i-drive. We come from that far away, there is no point in us being restricted to Disney accomodation for a whole two weeks when we want to be here there and everywhere - as much as i would love to stay onsite if money wasnt an issue i would probably stay a few nights at a disney resort and the rest in an i-drive hotel....

Personally, I feel there is so much more to do than Disney when we travel to Orlando - ok at this point you are all going to be cursing me :fork:......i know.......:ROFLOL:

SteveVAB

On or Off?

I have stayed on property and off and like others that have posted here, I don't feel like I missed out on any of the "magic" at all. We usually stay farily close to Downtown Disney so you're always close to the Disney feel of things.

Is it cheaper? If you stay at the cost saver resorts it's about the same when all is said and done but when we stay on property we like to stay in the Animal Kingdom Lodge or the Beach Club Resort. They are both on the upper end so it's more costly but worth every penny!

We try and stay at time share places such as Vistana or Hilton Grand Vacations. If you call them, they can tell you if they have any rooms available. They are nice because they have kitchens so you can save some cash by eating breakfast in your room and maybe catching an evening meal at the room too before going back to the world for fireworks and all.

Either way you're not missing anything.

BeentoallDParks

If saving cash is what you're after, there is no cheaper option than off-site. Disney's hotels, even the Value ones, charge twice what off-site places do for the same room quality. And let's be honest: Disney's Value resorts are tucked so far south on Disney property that you can't really argue that they feel like much of a part of the "magic," whatever that means.

I am not a big fan of the hotel quality at Disney. I find it lacking (or at least, not all it's cracked up to be) when I compare it to non-park hotels. For LESS THAN what you pay to stay in a Disney deluxe resort, you can stay at the Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes a few miles east of SeaWorld and you'll really see what "luxury" means.

If I had thousands of dollars to spend, the hotels on the monorail are tons of fun and quite convenient to the MK and Epcot. But for saving money, I never look on Disney property. I go to an inexpensive motel using Priceline.com (I have paid as little as $29 a night this way for acceptable places), or I rent a whole house where the kids can roam around--prices for a whole week of a home rental are often just a little higher than a single night at one of Disney's prime hotels.

To my mind, most of the people who talk about the "magic" of Disney resorts can never really back that word up with concrete examples of what it means. And I love Disney parks--so you'd think I would know for myself! To me, most of the time when people use the m-word, they're just being consumeristic. And that's fine, if that's what you're into. But I don't find it "magic" to spend several times what you have to. My family has more to do with its money. In fact, I find that on the trips when I stay on-site, I find myself getting more annoyed with Disney lines and inefficiencies than when I stay off-site. I find that I enjoy the parks more when I don't have to live with Disney salesmanship 24/7, which happens if you don't leave the property.

Hrudey3032

Ive always stayed offsite.I have found that it just makes me more eager to get to the World and enjoy my time there.I always love the drive back to hotel(or now my dads house)as I kinda feel relaxed and look at all the sites on World Drive.Someday I will stay at a resort just to see what it would be like but until I do the experience is always great no matter what!

66Stella

We are just taking our first trip this fall, so speaking only from my extensive internet research of off-site accomodations.....

Below are 2 of my favorite affordable resorts where one can rent 2-3 bedroom condos or 3-6 bedroom homes (with own pool and spa).

Both places are close to WDW, have fully equipped, beautiful, spacious condos/homes, and the resorts themselves have:

Huge heated pool, spa, kid pool, tennis, bball, billard, clubhouse, workout room, free cinemas, etc.

Windsor Palms: http://www.windsor-palms-florida.net/ 3.5 miles away, rates lower, backs up to wooded nature preserve.

Windsor Hills http://www.windsorhillsrent.com/ 1.5 miles away, rates higher (but for us, added perk of 2 story waterslide in the lagoon style pool for our 6 year old!).

If you are considering an off-site hotel, etc., please check the reviews at: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ (put your hotel in the search box)...
When I was first looking for inexpensive off-site rooms there were places I was interested in that I then found wouldn't be for us based on first hand reports of previous guests.

The 2 resorts above are new, clean and well cared and generally rented by the individual owners, who of course take good care of their own homes (the sites above have detailed info. on each condo or home that is available - photos, descriptions, rates for different times of year, etc.).

Good luck with your search!

Please go with Serena's suggestion to check out reviews of hotels at tripadvisor.com; I have been using this site for 5 years now and I have never been steered wrong by any of the reviews. As for offsite hotels I have stayed at the HGVC at Seaworld - 1 bedroom suites for about 139/night and the HGVC off International Drive next to the premium outlets, which is about 169/night; both of these are AAA rates. Both complexs have gated security and beautiful grounds, however the HGVC off International Drive is newer. I am staying at WindsorHills for the first time in October of 2008 and I am looking forward to it:D Good Luck with your search!

Cane27

We stayed on site at POFQ for the first time in a while this past weekend. It was the one time that it was cheaper to do that than stay at our usual off site hotel, Residence Inn (either LBV or Sea World, whatever is cheapest at the time). With kids it is great to have the full breakfast included in the morning and I think that driving to the parks is much more convenient when you want to park hop and also leave. The wife and I waited 40 minutes Saturday night for a bus from DHS to POFQ. The only time it's better for the buses is MK, where you get let off right in front.

But all in all, you can usually get a fair rate at one of those two Residence Inn's, the suites are clean and big, and the full breakfast is great. Saves a family of four $30 right there.

lisak09

I have been told that my kids are to young to really enjoy Universal. They are 6,9 and 14. I know that my 14 year old would love it but I'm not sure about the others. I'll have to check into it.

We took our 12 & 5 year olds last year. As you say there was plenty for the 12 year old. Our youngest loved Shrek 4D, E.T, Earthquake, Twister, Terminator! & Jimmy Neutrons Nicktoon Blast (which made the rest of us feel sick!). She wasnt too keen on Jaws (kept her eyes closed) & there was a problem with men in black so she didnt get to try that but she loved Buzz Lightyear so i think she would,ve liked it. Theres less for younger kids at islands of adventure although she did enjoy seuss landing, spiderman & popeye & blutos bilge rat barges.

As for the original post. We stay off site as the flights from ireland are expensive so we really cant splash out too much after that. Last couple of trips we stayed in Holiday Inn on Idrive which we liked. This year we,re staying in Doubletree Castle as we got a very good deal online. It looks nice so we,re looking forward to that. Off site is great if you,re planning on visiting other parks, universal, seaworld etc. I dont know if disney hotels put on transport to these parks, often wondered though.....

Nemo14

If saving cash is what you're after, there is no cheaper option than off-site. Disney's hotels, even the Value ones, charge twice what off-site places do for the same room quality. And let's be honest: Disney's Value resorts are tucked so far south on Disney property that you can't really argue that they feel like much of a part of the "magic," whatever that means.

I am not a big fan of the hotel quality at Disney. I find it lacking (or at least, not all it's cracked up to be) when I compare it to non-park hotels. For LESS THAN what you pay to stay in a Disney deluxe resort, you can stay at the Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes a few miles east of SeaWorld and you'll really see what "luxury" means.

If I had thousands of dollars to spend, the hotels on the monorail are tons of fun and quite convenient to the MK and Epcot. But for saving money, I never look on Disney property. I go to an inexpensive motel using Priceline.com (I have paid as little as $29 a night this way for acceptable places), or I rent a whole house where the kids can roam around--prices for a whole week of a home rental are often just a little higher than a single night at one of Disney's prime hotels.

To my mind, most of the people who talk about the "magic" of Disney resorts can never really back that word up with concrete examples of what it means. And I love Disney parks--so you'd think I would know for myself! To me, most of the time when people use the m-word, they're just being consumeristic. And that's fine, if that's what you're into. But I don't find it "magic" to spend several times what you have to. My family has more to do with its money. In fact, I find that on the trips when I stay on-site, I find myself getting more annoyed with Disney lines and inefficiencies than when I stay off-site. I find that I enjoy the parks more when I don't have to live with Disney salesmanship 24/7, which happens if you don't leave the property.
Great post!

jaybee

I have stayed in and outside the park...and I can't imagine ever staying outside again. I know it's more money...but plan for that! Alot of it is just for the magic of it all :animwink: Taking DH down for his 1st Disney trip in 20 years...and he has never stayed in the park...so this should be great! :)

jsdratm

I stayed at an off-site hotel and the only thing I didn't like was paying for parking and not getting the extra magic hours. It was easy driving in and leaving and best of all, very cheap. Disney doesn't have any hotel rooms for $34 a night! :D At night, you can go to Downtown Disney or whatever.

Plus, I didn't want to be stuck on property all the time. It was easy to drive to Busch Gardens, Daytona Beach, and Universal Studios.

cloudboy

In a nutshell, it's the environment. Not everyone responds to this, or can. But if you are a Disney fan, you probably do, because after all that is what Disney is about. The best way to describe the better Disney resorts is that they are not just rooms - they are a total environment. In fact, I cannot think of any hotel outside of Disney as partially the Universal resorts that actually creates themed landscaping to their resort. Most outside hotels simply offer rooms. Yes, they may be nice rooms - and certainly much better for the dollar than what you pay on-site. But you are just staying at a hotel. Even at the non-Disney resorts there is no way you feel like you are in another "world".

this is why I don't like staying at Pop or All Stars - they simply don't create another world. It's a hotel. Disney themed, but you still know you are staying at a hotel. But environment isn't everything. Sometimes you need to escape - sometimes you need to go with a comfortable bed, or a comfortable room or even a few luxuries. While they may not be Disney, there are some great hotel/resorts in the area that are quite an experience. What I tend to do, and recommend to someone who wants to feel the magic for themselves but not spend the money, is to stay some of the time offsite, and some of the time onsite at one of the Disney moderates or better resorts. you are better off for one night at one of the lodges than two nights at Carri bean. So you get the magic, and then you get to go to a hotel where you can relax and have something to sit on besides the bed.

I think it can be summed up as this - if you visit the parks to go on the thrill rides you probably don't get much from the Disney resorts. If you more enjoy riding TTA and wandering around the Mk at night, then you will enjoy the resorts.

momsls

My family and I have been to Disney and stayed off grounds for every trip until last year when we finally took the plunge and stayed at the Carribean Beach Resort. The thing about staying on grounds vs. off for me was feeling more included. You never left the Disney surroundings and the atmosphere is like another world. It lets you completely forget about the outside world and enjoy your vacation. Some people might want to get away from the hustle and bustle of Disney but thats what I wait all year for! :sohappy:

MousDad

I think if any one in their right mind will take off their Disney-colored glasses for a minute, and look at the Disney Resorts lodging-wise, will have to confess that they are ridiculously overpriced. I mean, c'mon, the values are just massive, crowded motels.

That being said, the perks, location, and "magic" do appeal to a lot of people, and are, for them, worth the extra price.

(I'm copying an earlier post) But for me:

1) I avoid EMH parks like the plague so this perk means nothing to me.
2) I prefer driving to the parks and having my freedom. 10-15 minutes in a car to each park works fine for me. I don't mind paying $11 a day to park.
3) I would not personally want to be tied to Disney transportation all week. Standing in line for a bus everywhere I want to go does not sound fun to me.
4) If we have to sleep more than 1 night crowded into a hotel room as a family, we all get really tired and cranky. We prefer the space.
5) I am not interested in purchasing DVC.
6) Renting DVC points is a major pain.
7) We don't mind making our own beds.
8) We like having a kitchen on vacation.
9) We get plenty of Disney atmosphere touring the parks, DTD, touring the resorts, etc.

I'm staying at Windsor (mentioned earlier in this thread) in June for 6 nights at about 1/2-2/3 the price of a value, 1/4 the price of a deluxe or 2BR DVC. We will have 2 separate BR, kitchen, washer/dryer, living/dining room, as well as all the resort offerings.

To me it's a no-brainer, but everyone's different.

(Don't let me fool you though, you can bet I will stay onsite at some point and love it. It will only be on the Boardwalk or Monorail when I do. And, it will be at a stage in life when the extra several hundred dollars doesn't matter. [Will that day ever come? :dazzle:]

Dream Theater

We ( wife, me and in laws) are staying in a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house in Rolling Hills in May for a week. This will be the 2nd time in 20 years off site. It just made more sense this time as we will be taking our 18 month old twin boys for the first time. Rather than having the bellhops & me cart all the luggage, infant stuff, etc around, I now pull into a driveway and roll the stuff right into our house. No worrying about the infants in a large pool as we will have our own as well as a hottub .

Money was not an issue, although it is about 1/2 the price of a moderate price resort.

drp4video

Maybe I am crazy but I don't think it is more to stay on site. We have stayed at values for $49 a night, and moderates for $84 a night. Even if we don't go during a cheaper season, between my former annual pass or my current AAA discount, I don't think the hotels are expensive. Lately, I basically end up staying for free because I use my disney visa card points. I was there a few days at CHristmas staying at POFQ at $199 per night..when the room rates are the highest, but all I paid for three nights was $69 because of points.

So between codes, AAA discount and disney visa points, the disney rooms come in cheaper for me than staying off site.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom