Do you ever get bored with a resort when staying for several nights?

Do you get bored after 4 nights at the same resort?

• Yes! I need more variety and change!

• No! It allows time to settle in and have a home away from home.

Results are only viewable after voting.

AmandaP

Original Poster
We're renting a car for the week and staying at the Hard Rock Hotel at Universal for 3 nights before transferring to Disney as well. So yeah, I guess that would definitely be a lot of moving around. I think maybe there was a part of me that was wondering how interesting it would really be to stare at giraffes out my window each day for 4 days. With some well planned packing cubes in our suitcases, a part of me still wonders if we'd have more fun split staying at WDW, but I think a lot of the early posters have a good point.. much harder to really relax and get into the feeling of vacation if we're moving around so much.

ToTBellHop

We're renting a car for the week and staying at the Hard Rock Hotel at Universal for 3 nights before transferring to Disney as well. So yeah, I guess that would definitely be a lot of moving around. I think maybe there was a part of me that was wondering how interesting it would really be to stare at giraffes out my window each day for 4 days. With some well planned packing cubes in our suitcases, a part of me still wonders if we'd have more fun split staying at WDW, but I think a lot of the early posters have a good point.. much harder to really relax and get into the feeling of vacation if we're moving around so much.
It's possible to grow bored of giraffes? Do you live in the Serengeti?

AmandaP

Original Poster
It's possible to grow bored of giraffes? Do you live in the Serengeti?
Haha. Not quite. But we were stationed in Panama City Beach for a year and we had passes to the local animal sanctuary where you could feed and pet them. It was pretty cool. Getting to interact with them like that never got old, but yeah.. we've seen a lot of giraffes.

MissingDisney

There's a whole lot more to AKL than the giraffes..... you need to leave your room and explore! There's artwork, incredible architecture, food, kitchen tours, music, dancing, inside and outside fires, tracing the floor designs, night vision goggles, awesome pools, ZEBRA DOMES-my God, ZEBRA DOMES, the wood carver in the gift shop who is amazing and wonderful to talk to-Andrew, Safari guides around the grounds from Africa who love to share about their homeland and the animals-absolutely intriguing to kids and adults alike, a neat bird area where you can get really close and watch feedings, a personally guided evening truck safari of the resort grounds if you want to sign up in advance and pay a bit extra (totally worth it), and the smell. There's nothing as sweet as the smell of AKL JH! Except maybe Zebra Domes. :inlove:

AmandaP

Original Poster
There's a whole lot more to AKL than the giraffes..... you need to leave your room and explore! There's artwork, incredible architecture, food, kitchen tours, music, dancing, inside and outside fires, tracing the floor designs, night vision goggles, awesome pools, ZEBRA DOMES-my God, ZEBRA DOMES, the wood carver in the gift shop who is amazing and wonderful to talk to-Andrew, Safari guides around the grounds from Africa who love to share about their homeland and the animals-absolutely intriguing to kids and adults alike, a neat bird area where you can get really close and watch feedings, a personally guided evening truck safari of the resort grounds if you want to sign up in advance and pay a bit extra (totally worth it), and the smell. There's nothing as sweet as the smell of AKL JH! Except maybe Zebra Domes. :inlove:
Haha. I love your enthusiasm and your description totally has me sold. I'm feeling better about the 4 nights now, sounds like an adventure awaits. Also on a scale of 1 - Oh My Goodness, how good are the zebra domes? I've heard OF them but don't know much about them

MissingDisney

OMG+++, but I'm into that mocha-coffee-cheesecakey-white chocolate-heavenly-goodness-type-of-thing. :p I pretty much got them for every dessert or snack credit when we ate at the resort for a week. Still wasn't tired of them.

The resort will have a list of daily activities that often include animal and/or artifact presentations, jewelry making, etc. Be sure to check it out! Don't forget the daily cookie decorating......and eating!

jlsHouston

We are military and currently have a 4 night stay reserved at AKL for Aug 30th through Sept 3. The stay is for my son's 8th birthday and I'm wondering if we'll get bored of the resort after 4 nights. I was thinking of staying at Art of Animation our first two night and then transferring to AKL for the last two. That way when we get there, there's that initial "wow we're really at WDW" feeling for my son, you know with all of the color and kid appeal at the AoA. Then the AKL would be a cool treat and a whole other wow factor for the second half. With the military discount, I could go either way and the price is about the same within 100 dollars, really just going for wow factor and overall experience.

Any thoughts? Do you get bored after 4 days at the same resort? Is 2 nights too short when resort hopping?

**Edit - we do have several hours of down time planned at the resort each day. This will also be our first trip to back to WDW with our family's newest addition who will only be 7 months old at the time of the trip. Stroller naps won't be enough down time for him to recharge for evenings at the park so we're taking about 4 hours each afternoon back at the resort to relax.
2 nights is too short for a bounce. Actually 4 nites at AKL isn't nearly long enough to fully settle in and enjoy that resort

Much-Pixie-Dust

Love AKL and there's so much to do with kiddos. There's cookie decorating, mini-cake decorating, face painting, an evening primal drumming parade (where kids are led through the lobby singing, dancing, and playing instruments), meeting cultural representatives from African countries, drumming activities, medallion rubbings, a great Hidden Mickey hunt, and then there's several bead activities. These are activities that last 20ish minutes that involve learning about animals and the environment. All of these activities are free too. My family never gets bored and we stay for about 2 weeks. We also never gotten to everything on our resort to-do list either. Have a happy trip!

Simba's Mom

If you get bored at AKL then you are doing it wrong! That place is amazing with plenty to do.

I totally agree with that! I stayed at AKL for 6 nights a few years ago, and I rarely went to the parks. There was just so much to do and enjoy at the resort that I felt I was missing something if I went to the parks. Be sure to go to the balcony at the Sunset Lounge.

ninjaprincesst

We always stay 8 nights and have never gotten bored. Personally , I would not want to fool with the hassle of switching resorts especially on that short of a stay

Last edited:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Nope....longest trip 10 days and it was so nice to have a place to call home.....and the thought of repacking and moving to a resort to me would take away time from the parks and interrupt the flow of a vacation period. Especially with a deluxe resort.....the extra details to me are worth their weight in gold.....er dollars....priceless!;)

HurricaneHanna

To those of you saying that it's a pain to switch- could you elaborate please?
We have a split stay planned for February 2017, half Contemporary, half Beach Club. I thought all we had to do was pack up, take our stuff to bell services, and show up at the second resort when we get the room text. Am I grossly underestimating the complication involved?

edited to add: This trip is ten days total, so five and five split. I wouldn't bother for a much shorter stay. We like the idea of being able to walk to MK for the first part of the trip and then EP and HS for the second part.

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
To those of you saying that it's a pain to switch- could you elaborate please?
We have a split stay planned for February 2017, half Contemporary, half Beach Club. I thought all we had to do was pack up, take our stuff to bell services, and show up at the second resort when we get the room text. Am I grossly underestimating the complication involved?
No, you are not. The only problem you may encounter is having to wait for your luggage. Though your room may be ready at 3 pm, your luggage may not be delivered until 5 pm or later (and you will have to call Bell Services to deliver your luggage, since it is not automatically brought to your room.)

If you have a car, keep your luggage in there so you will have it when your room is ready. Then the split stay is easy-peasy!

Much-Pixie-Dust

@HurricaneHanna - We have split stayed before. The thing I noticed was the time it took to pack up one room, unpack at the next place, and then pack up again to leave Disney entirely, besides what @Tuvalu mentioned. It's definitely easier if you have your own transportation, IMO, but bell services is really great especially for refrigerating any items that may need refrigeration. If you don't mind packing, it's no big deal. Just allow time to pack the first time. I always say I will have an early night, but I always find myself staying til park close and then packing. That's my own fault. With split stays I always feel like I am taking two mini vacations because the resorts are so different and I like that. Have a great trip.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom