Do you correct people if you hear them getting things wrong about Disney?

Goofyernmost

I hear a lot of people do that... Epcot and Disney World.

I hear that a lot too. Why is that? Any theories anyone? So MK was first, then Epcot, right?... maybe they are just remembering those days before HS and AK?
That is exactly where it came from. When WDW first opened up all that existed was MK. It was rightfully referred to as Disney World. That was what it was then and that habit carried over for a few generations. It isn't really that hard to understand with just a minimum amount of reading, but, people tend to simplify their lives and nothing could be simpler then just identifying one place as WDW and the rest are just "other" parks. The whole resort being WDW concept is harder to grasp. For many the idea that Epcot and WDW were two different things hasn't faded. Perhaps if they had named them WDW's Epcot, WDW's Hollywood Studios and WDW's Animal Kingdom it would have been less confusing.

Punky

I don't consider myself a Disney expert AT ALL, but I know a few things. I had someone say she was taking her daughter to BBB, and that she wanted her hair a certain way. I tried to explain that BBB isn't a full service salon, and that they only offer a few styles. She didn't want to listen and I don't argue sooooo......

She could have always gone the way I went and make a wig for her daughter like I did (see avatar). Saves time and money:)

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I shun everyone who asks me questions about WDW that don't make sense. Such things as "do pirates in POTC really eat the tourists"...and "why doesn't the Yeti work in Expedition Everest".

rucifee

I shun everyone who asks me questions about WDW that don't make sense. Such things as "do pirates in POTC really eat the tourists"...and "why doesn't the Yeti work in Expedition Everest".

Everyone knows the pirate skeleton steering the ship in the storm was a former Magic Kingdom tourist. :hilarious:

danyoung56

I live for these kind of mistakes, although I'll rarely correct them. Everyone has heard the Haunted Mansion called the Haunted House, or small world called the "singing doll ride". On my last trip a couple months ago I heard a new one in the Animal Kingdom. An older lady was looking at a map and talking to her husband as they were walking through Asia. She saw the sign for the Maharajah Jungle Trek and said to her husband "Oh there's that MARE-ah-jaw" thing!" Cracked me up!

Disney4family

This is the reason I don't recommend certain things I really like to most people, I don't want them to start getting too crowded.
Yup. Whenever anyone tells me they "don't get Disney", I don't try to convince them. I just say, "Good. You won't be in line ahead of me." - and drop it with a smile. (They still don't get it)

rob0519

I would never correct a stranger in public unless the information they are using or offering to someone else would affect their experience at the resort. As for people calling the MK "Disney World" or getting the name of an attraction wrong I see no point in saying anything. There are 4 parks, 29 hotels and hundreds of attractions. It would not be difficult for a new comer or infrequent visitor to not remember an exact name of something so why make them feel bad for such a simple mistake.

World_Showcase_Lover007

Yes, because before you go on a trip somewhere, you should do research about it and get the names of attractions, individual theme parks, etc. correct. Or, while you are there, you can at least be observant enough to notice what the item in question is called. Obviously there are some inconsequential things that you can let pass (i.e. those that think that Walt Disney World is located in the city of Orlando, instead of Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake), but people are too willing to be naive and unobservant.

Admittedly, I still refer to Disney's Hollywood Studios as MGM Studios for reasons of nostalgia. Also, I never actually say the "Disney's" part of the name because I believe it is redundant.

When I am unsure of something or confused by name variation, I simply look up the correct information because the last thing that I want to be is one of those people who go around saying how they had fun at "Magic Mountain" or "at that park with all the countries."

...But then again, we all make mistakes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom