Do i go to magic kingdom on green or red day

Tom

Beta Return
Where are you seeing these green and red indicators?

The rule of thumb is that if you have park-hopping privileges on your tickets, you can take advantage of Extra Magic Hours, but hop to another park for the rest of the day. This is because the parks with EMH are typically more crowded on those days.

Upvote 0

cw1982

The parks tend to be busier on days when they have EMH, so if you don't have access to EMH, you should pick other parks and avoid the park that has EMH that day. As Rob said, though, if you have access to EMH, there's the school of thought that going early for EMH and then hopping to a different park means you get the best of both worlds.

Or, you can be lazy like me, and just do evening EMH... same idea would work as with the morning EMH, but add the extra time on the end instead of in the morning. ;) I'm not a morning person at all, so I won't be using those pre-rope-drop hours at the parks lol.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

I personally prefer evening EMH in MK if possible. I really don't let all of that green and red business dictate things since it's often not as bad as a red designation may make it look and recommendations aren't totally scientific.

Upvote 0

cw1982

I personally prefer evening EMH in MK if possible. I really don't let all of that green and red business dictate things since it's often not as bad as a red designation may make it look and recommendations aren't totally scientific.

That makes me happy to hear lol... I can't wait to do those evening EMH at MK and enjoy the park until 2 am! Our FP+ choices are all at the busiest time of the park for that day (from about 3:30-6:30 or so; since we will be checking in earlier that afternoon I didn't want to have to rush to the park or risk losing a FP+ experience), and then we will eat dinner QS somewhere and enjoy the scenery until the lines start to die down a little more.

Ugh! June 1 can't get here quick enough! ;)

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

That makes me happy to hear lol... I can't wait to do those evening EMH at MK and enjoy the park until 2 am! Our FP+ choices are all at the busiest time of the park for that day (from about 3:30-6:30 or so; since we will be checking in earlier that afternoon I didn't want to have to rush to the park or risk losing a FP+ experience), and then we will eat dinner QS somewhere and enjoy the scenery until the lines start to die down a little more.

Ugh! June 1 can't get here quick enough! ;)

I know some people avoid EMH like the plague, and that's their choice, but for our girls' first few trips...I always chose the parks with EMH. We felt the girls were too young to really benefit from park hopping and we needed midday breaks/naps, so EMH at least ensured we got more park time for our $. Evening EMH is especially nice to me since there tends to be a mass exodus at official park closing- i.e. all of the offsite guests. So, even sticking around for just an hour of evening EMH allows you to avoid those crazy crowds leaving the parks.

Upvote 0

cw1982

I know some people avoid EMH like the plague, and that's their choice, but for our girls' first few trips...I always chose the parks with EMH. We felt the girls were too young to really benefit from park hopping and we needed midday breaks/naps, so EMH at least ensured we got more park time for our $. Evening EMH is especially nice to me since there tends to be a mass exodus at official park closing- i.e. all of the offsite guests. So, even sticking around for just an hour of evening EMH allows you to avoid those crazy crowds leaving the parks.

also agree with this.....if there is some reason you want to go that day....go for it.

These. All day long.

Easy WDW is generally discouraging people from doing some of the things that DH and I plan to do, but their reasoning doesn't seem to apply much to us. For example, Easy WDW says to avoid Epcot the night that we plan to experience World Showcase, but their logic in avoiding Epcot is that Future World will be packed because of evening EMH and only two headliner rides. Since we don't plan to do much, if anything, in FW that night, had I not read their explanation, I might have been encouraged to write off the whole park that day, when the reasoning behind the "red" that day doesn't apply to me at all.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

These. All day long.

Easy WDW is generally discouraging people from doing some of the things that DH and I plan to do, but their reasoning doesn't seem to apply much to us. For example, Easy WDW says to avoid Epcot the night that we plan to experience World Showcase, but their logic in avoiding Epcot is that Future World will be packed because of evening EMH and only two headliner rides. Since we don't plan to do much, if anything, in FW that night, had I not read their explanation, I might have been encouraged to write off the whole park that day, when the reasoning behind the "red" that day doesn't apply to me at all.

Something else to consider with Easy WDW...he is in the parks pretty much every single day. It's a lot easier to say "do this - not that" when you have all the time in the world to tour the parks. If I still lived in FL and could go more frequently, I'd be more inclined to follow more of their advice...but I'm not, so I just keep it in mind. Ex. if I've got single park tickets and I know I'm going to a park that's not recommended, I keep a more solid touring plan in the back of my mind just in case I need to use it. Alternately, if we have hoppers, I may try and get in what I want to do at the "red" park early on and then hop someplace else a little bit later in the day.

Upvote 0

cw1982

Something else to consider with Easy WDW...he is in the parks pretty much every single day. It's a lot easier to say "do this - not that" when you have all the time in the world to tour the parks. If I still lived in FL and could go more frequently, I'd be more inclined to follow more of their advice...but I'm not, so I just keep it in mind. Ex. if I've got single park tickets and I know I'm going to a park that's not recommended, I keep a more solid touring plan in the back of my mind just in case I need to use it. Alternately, if we have hoppers, I may try and get in what I want to do at the "red" park early on and then hop someplace else a little bit later in the day.

True.

Since DH and I are never in Orlando, and this will likely be the only time we get to go to WDW for several years between budgeting issues and the fact that we will hopefully be starting our family in the next year or so (we'd be less likely to brave theme parks with an infant), we plan to take advantage of evening EMH at all three of the parks that have them: MK, HS, and Epcot. Granted, we may very well end up giving up on HS and going back to the hotel if wait times don't get manageable enough to make it worth it, and like I said, that time in Epcot will primarily be WS anyway so waiting for rides won't be much of an issue, so really the only EMH we are definitely using the way most people probably would is MK.

But yeah, if I had all the time in the world to go to whichever park whenever, I'd probably listen more closely to some of his advice.

Upvote 0

KLinder7

I'm not a fan of the rule of not going to a park during EMH. Why would I not want to get in early or stay late. Yes during the middle of the day the lines will be busy but when I go EMH or not, that's usually the case anyways. Use FP+ during the middle of the day and you'll be fine.

Upvote 0

dopeylover

I say do what you want when you want. You're going to run into lines at Disney. It's a busy place. It can be REALLY busy depending on the time of year you go. Those books will drive you crazy, you'll waste so much time worrying whether or not you're doing the right thing on a vacation you'll take all the fun out of planning it! I base my decisions more on making Magic Kingdom my first park no matter what (personal choice) and if I can get the dining choices I want and go from there. Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

aprillovesron

Original Poster
Where are you seeing these green and red indicators?

The rule of thumb is that if you have park-hopping privileges on your tickets, you can take advantage of Extra Magic Hours, but hop to another park for the rest of the day. This is because the parks with EMH are typically more crowded on those days.
thanku

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom