Dissappointed my family had a dissappointing time at WDW!?!

wendysue

Yes... I think when one decides on a vacation spot some planning must be done. If I am going to say Hawaii... I would want to review hotels and find one that best suits my family wants and needs. I would also find out what activities, entertainment and tourist sites we would want to see and possibly buy some of the tickets in advance(like folks buy park tickets at WDW). But I certainly would not plan on what time I need to eat at what local restaurant, what I need to eat, what time I need to go to local aquarium and what time I want to see the jumping dolphin show or tour the coral reef exhibit(just an example to compare to FP+ ride ressie). It is a vacation that I want to move at my pace. IMO... WDW has gone way past the expected amount of planning that should be done pre-trip... especially for newbies who do not know how crazy WDW is.

DITTO....This is exactly why next month we will be taking our last trip...

BrerJon

I think what irked me the most was not bringing the 1 year old on any rides! I thought it was just silly. I know Disney isn't for everyone but still...I thought it would be an amusing situation to share in light of all the MM+ stuff.

Thanks for sharing the anecdote. In all the hype of MyMagic vs MyTragic arguments, one thing that gets forgotten is people on both sides tend to be Disney veterans, so hearing how first timers get on is always fascinating as it's such an alien experience to most people who would be reading this site.

doctornick

So, this post reminds me of my brother-in-law's family. They went a couple of years ago when the kids were maybe 4 and 6 years old and had a miserable time. I tried to help them plan ahead of time, but they never really sat down to get the info. They were so disorganized at the parks and there was constant debates about where to go and what to do. They barely used (paper) FP. My wife spoke to them during the trip and they said it wasn't going well, so I tried to call (and texted) with some hints on what to do, but they never got back to me.

My brother-in-law and his then wife are now divorced (her tendency to be horrible at organizing anything despite her not working was part of the issue). This past year, my family and my BIL and his kids go to WDW together. I planned everything but let them control the pace -- like I would say "we could get up tomorrow at 7am and get to the park early and ride on more rides, but if you want to sleep later that's fine. We need to be in the park by 10:30 though because that's when our first FP+ is". A framework like that. Some days we were up earlier, some days later, we took afternoon breaks every day. One MK day, I went to the park with my family and they didn't meet us until 11-11:30 or so.

Anyhow, I was disappointed by how little we did on the trip -- it was only a 4 day trip so I knew we would miss stuff, but I wanted to really wow my niece and nephew by doing a ton of rides and show. But they all were amazed by how much we did do -- they said it was so much more than the last time and they loved it and couldn't wait to go back again. It was funny the different prospective because I kept thinking in my mind how we never rode HM or Jungle Cruise or saw Wishes or Fantasmic, but for them doing 10 attractions in a day was way more than they knew was possible.

s&k'smom

The most I really plan are the meals, try to get in the ones we really want to go to but inevitably we change our mind. And we always like to have one "let's see where the bus takes us night". However we are veterans so we are aware of crowds and fast pass and such. My son has his disability pass so we just go if he really wants to go on something and get his time. However we very much just see what the line is like and if it's long we just wait and go back another time. We travel in the cooler months so that's something we can do I certainly would not do that say Christmas week.

DVCPluto

They sound like casual visitors who view WDW as an attraction incorporated into a larger trip, rather than a destination. That's the way it was 30 years ago, but not anymore.

It's like a trip to Washington, DC, or New York. You decide the location, and where you'll stay, but you still have to plan what you want to do and see once you arrive. You may have heard about a great restaurant, but you can't just walk up without a reservation and expect to get in. The same with the Smithsonian - you can't really see it all in one day, so you have to pick and choose. The same with attractions - just as you would have to decide which shows you want to see, you have to decide which attractions you want to experience. Not quite the same, but you get my drift.

The days of walking in without a plan and still being able to see and do most everything are long gone. Even in the 80s, you needed to at least have a touring plan in mind to get the most from your trip.

Agree!

Somehow in the minds of the geniuses in marketing you are supposed to know exactly when your kids moods will swing and when they will hit the proverbial "wall" where you have to turn around and get out of the parks for a couple of hours for some nap or pool time back at the resort. You should know 180 days out somehow that your 5 year old would rather have pizza than a sit down at BOG and then when you drag your unwilling kid into the ADR you booked at 6AM t-minus 180 days you end up having a bad time trying to make the best of a cranky pants kid who just wanted to have french fries on a park bench.

It is kind of a convoluted plan they have put together where if you are an adult and complain about the lack of E-tickets then you get flamed for not admitting it is a park for kids but then when you take exception to the fact that the logistics are not laid out such that you can tour with kids you are told you were not willing to research and plan enough for the vacation. I feel totally bipolar about the parks these days. One moment I think about the parks and get excited but then in the next moment I think about the logistical nightmare and stress factory involved and the happy feeling leaves me.

... and agree!

As I'm reading this thread, I'm finding myself agreeing with both sides :confused: which rarely, if ever, happens!

I think the problem is that disney decided to implement a program where the guest could start planning their trip and mapping everything out, months ahead of time. Great! Sounds like fun... however...

They overshot the mark and made too many restrictions - only 3 FP+ per park per day, no hopping, tiering (we all know the story). So, then they tweaked it a bit, gave us a floating 4th FP+ and (albeit still restricting) hopping.

We still need to book some ADRs 180+ days out, some FP+ 60 days out, and book rooms far far in advance (I'm DVC so I've got the 11/7 mo window thing) right at the hour the window opens - for any hope of getting what we want.

I'm very hopeful that MDE/MM+ is STILL a work in progress. The program is very restricting, especially for the casual visitor. But, it also allows you to plan events/attractions/dining in advance, which for some of us, is stress relieving (the "I got it!" mentality).

And I think Disney listens when we fill out surveys and write emails expressing our opinions. They need to keep tweaking the program until it's a little more flexible and we can plan to a reasonable extent.

The Mom

Premium Member
@DVCPluto has hit the nail on the head. There are different types of vacationers - those who want to plan every detail, those who want to be spontaneous, and those who are a blend of both. WDW used to accommodate all of them.

The first group got to see and do everything through commando touring and careful advance planning (which has existed since the beginning) and they can still see more than the average visitor through careful planning - but not as much as previously. The next group will be able to do even less than previously, and will most likely not be able to experience any of the major attractions or restaurants.

The last group of guests, such as myself, are the ones who are the most unhappy. We don't want to join either group, but WDW is forcing us to do so if we want to have anything close to previous experiences. Which is why I haven't been lately, and have no trips planned to WDW this year.

GrammieBee

If you want to enjoy Walt Disney World you not only need the luxury of money, you need the luxury of TIME; lots of TIME. Even with planning, if someone thinks they can visit everything while on a short vacation of a week or less, they will drive themself and their family nuts. Not to mention totally exhausted and frustrated.

In order to take the time, with a minimum of planning, to see and do everything available on properity at Walt Disney World would probably take three to four weeks.

stevehousse

Original Poster
Another note to add to their vacation that I just learned. Can someone confirm if this is true or just a bad CM?

They wanted to buy one or 2 of the rapid refill mugs. They were there for 2 days, and were told by the cm that they couldn't purchase a refill mug because their stay wasn't long enough?!? I have no idea the restrictions on these because we got our free with the dining plan last time...

4disneylovers

From August

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 41

thomas998

Agree!

... and agree!

As I'm reading this thread, I'm finding myself agreeing with both sides :confused: which rarely, if ever, happens!

I think the problem is that disney decided to implement a program where the guest could start planning their trip and mapping everything out, months ahead of time. Great! Sounds like fun... however...

They overshot the mark and made too many restrictions - only 3 FP+ per park per day, no hopping, tiering (we all know the story). So, then they tweaked it a bit, gave us a floating 4th FP+ and (albeit still restricting) hopping.

We still need to book some ADRs 180+ days out, some FP+ 60 days out, and book rooms far far in advance (I'm DVC so I've got the 11/7 mo window thing) right at the hour the window opens - for any hope of getting what we want.

I'm very hopeful that MDE/MM+ is STILL a work in progress. The program is very restricting, especially for the casual visitor. But, it also allows you to plan events/attractions/dining in advance, which for some of us, is stress relieving (the "I got it!" mentality).

And I think Disney listens when we fill out surveys and write emails expressing our opinions. They need to keep tweaking the program until it's a little more flexible and we can plan to a reasonable extent.

What I would really like to know is why in the world they don't allow hopping of the fastpass+... The reality of you having to book your passes out 2 months in advance doesn't decrease the chances that you decide to go to MK instead of Epcot on that day when it finally arrives... and if you don't use a fastpass it doesn't kill anyone it only results in someone in the stand-by line getting on a little bit sooner.

Chef Mickey

This isn't directed at you or anyone else, but these are just some observations and tips for people who can't seem to have fun at Disney.

• No one is going to have fun for you. Disney gives you the tools, but you have to have a clue what your family and kids will be willing/able to do while there.
  • Don't take your bratty kids to sit down restaurants and then complain that it wasn't "worth it" because Johnny picked at his food and wouldn't sit still.
  • Don't take kids on 15 hour marathon of rides and shows without naps or proper preparation (mental and physical).
  • Despite thinking you know what to do and know everything because you went 20 years ago or you know people at your school who have been, you need to plan and research.
  • Florida is hot, deal with it.
  • Be in shape before going and don't cry about walking
  • There will be crowds...other people want to have fun. Go during non peak times or plan better.
  • Don't be down to your last dollar or charge the whole trip on a credit card because you "deserve" a trip to Disney. You'll have no fun if you're constantly stressed about money.
  • Don't miss stuff that's good and think you "did Disney" and "weren't impressed" because you missed key shows, fireworks, or attractions because they "didn't sound fun."
  • Appreciate the details. Blowing through and just riding rides and walking passed everything makes it seem like work.
  • Most of all, go with a positive mindset. You can't think about checking stuff off the list or how one little thing ruined your "perfect" trip. Nothing is perfect, but it's pretty damn close at Disney.

bethymouse

I have been every year since 2007. I still plan, no matter what! I go on websites and research times, etc... Any vacation needs to have some plan, but especially a WDW one.;)

Goofnut1980

I am a big Disney Planner. I currently have 4 trips I am planning over the next 18 months. One with just us two, one with my mom and my brother and his girlfriend, then one just us and then one for around 60 people.. yes 60 people to celebrate our marriage. Having been to the World about 40 times makes me a pretty good judge of what we need to do or see. But the one thing that irritates me to no end is dining ressies 180 days out. I loved it when they changed it to 90 days. It was more manageable. It is bad because typically they don't give you park hours till 6 1/2 months out, so planning becomes frantic. I have to get my brother and his GF to tell me, out of a list of restaurants, what they will want to do for meals. For them it is hard, they don't like to plan. I end up being the bad guy and nagging until they tell me.

copcarguyp71

I am a big Disney Planner. I currently have 4 trips I am planning over the next 18 months. One with just us two, one with my mom and my brother and his girlfriend, then one just us and then one for around 60 people.. yes 60 people to celebrate our marriage. Having been to the World about 40 times makes me a pretty good judge of what we need to do or see. But the one thing that irritates me to no end is dining ressies 180 days out. I loved it when they changed it to 90 days. It was more manageable. It is bad because typically they don't give you park hours till 6 1/2 months out, so planning becomes frantic. I have to get my brother and his GF to tell me, out of a list of restaurants, what they will want to do for meals. For them it is hard, they don't like to plan. I end up being the bad guy and nagging until they tell me.

The more rooms they add the worse the ADR'S will get! DVC and other added accommodations only serve to diminish the available ressies. They add rooms and pack the parks but don't seem to account for number of rides/attractions or dining to accompany the additional park loading. Hence ridiculous unavailability of ADR's, standby and FP wait times that are bordering on unreasonable yer-round and crowded common areas. I am worried that their manifest destiny is (as Guns and Roses put it) an appetite for destruction. Sorry for the doom and gloom but it is my take on the current state of the parks and my sincere hope that leadership either changes or changes its' thinking :(.

Goofnut1980

The more rooms they add the worse the ADR'S will get! DVC and other added accommodations only serve to diminish the available ressies. They add rooms and pack the parks but don't seem to account for number of rides/attractions or dining to accompany the additional park loading. Hence ridiculous unavailability of ADR's, standby and FP wait times that are bordering on unreasonable yer-round and crowded common areas. I am worried that their manifest destiny is (as Guns and Roses put it) an appetite for destruction. Sorry for the doom and gloom but it is my take on the current state of the parks and my sincere hope that leadership either changes or changes its' thinking :(.

You are preaching to the choir! I hear you 100%. I think it is rather funny now it seems they realize some sort of issue and are trying to fix it, a day late and a dollar short. Poly and WL under construction... Soon to be Yacht and Beach club. Because nothing has been properly maintained over the last few decades and now takes 20 months per project. I am DVC and don't mind the extra addition of rooms, but they need to add additional park options, from dining to attractions. Attractions should never close permanently without capacity being equaled out somewhere else. IE, Snow White- just keep it and then add 7D. It's simple.

I think it's wonderful that they are going to do something to HS and adding to AK, and at this point, anything is better than nothing. But for it to take a couple years is redonk! Hire a construction crew of more than 5 people to build and add on.. lol

thomas998

If you want to enjoy Walt Disney World you not only need the luxury of money, you need the luxury of TIME; lots of TIME. Even with planning, if someone thinks they can visit everything while on a short vacation of a week or less, they will drive themself and their family nuts. Not to mention totally exhausted and frustrated.

In order to take the time, with a minimum of planning, to see and do everything available on properity at Walt Disney World would probably take three to four weeks.
After our recent short trip (5 days) versus a more normal 9 day or longer trip... I came to the conclusion that if I am going to do a short Disney trip I am not going to go to WDW. I will go to DL, it is much more compact and if I am constrained for time it is a much better park for getting it all in when you don't have extra time... Does it lack some of the enhanced queues and facades? Yes, but then when you are having to waste so much time scurrying from place to place it just doesn't make sense to do short trips.... Even if you were to stay in the Contemporary which would be the best access of all you are still going to have to spend 10 minutes just going from hotel to front gate of MK and for any other park the time would be significantly greater... So if you typically make 2 trips a day back and forth between your hotel and a park you've likely wasted close to an hour a day in travel... Versus staying DL where you can stay in a hotel less than 100 feet from the entrance and it isn't even a DL hotel so it is cheaper by a significant amount and also lowers your wasted time considerably.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom