Dissapointed

DisneyWales

Original Poster
I just came back from DLRP and was nothing but disapointed with the resort. Unprofessional, and Unhappy castmembers. Poor crowed control, and ride managment, poorly maintained Hotel buildings. A lackluster parade, staff who didn't even know their business area very well (i.e. asking ME where I bought merchandise, while i was inside the shop they were stocking :veryconfu)

I have a number of casses to back up each of my coment here and many more far to many to write up in one place. But ultimately I am writing to Walt Disney Theme Parks in California to let them know about this. Ultimatly it comes down to DLRP not understanding the Disney Difference. In my opionion it is just a theme Park, and nothing more. Yes the rides are look better than Florida, but the Disney Spirt does not flow through this park. :mad:

CAPTAIN HOOK

I've never been to DLP but from what I've heard (and you've just confirmed) it appears to be a very poor excuse for a Disney Park

Connor002

We didn't notice many of these problems, but when we did we just attributed it to cultural differences. We just tried to put it aside and enjoy the park. (Which was stunning.)

DisneyWales

Original Poster
Park is Stunning

Yes it is stunning, and when i first went in 1999 i also put it down to Culture. But my point to them was they cant call it a Disney Park, charge Disney park prices, and not offer the same standard. The problems i found were things that could be changed, as the great man himself said, "To all who come to this place, Welcome" Something i never once felt while in DLRP.

Do you know they dont even give out Birthday Badge's, or for that matter Wish you Happy Birthday, even when you say "Hi, its my Birthday today".

Nala_84

I do not have a comparison, because I was never in another Disney park than in DLRP...

But I only LOVE it there and we've never had any problems! What's different in America though? Maybe it's only the bad wheather in Europe that made you not feel the "Disney flow" ;)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ouch - having stayed on property twice at DLP we found overall the CM experience to be as good as WDW, better in some parts.

Ride management was superb this year, as was crowd control for both Fantillusion and Wishes (in high season too)

The only issue we had (and took up in writing) was the food services available at WDSP - probably becasue they had more guests than they bargained for that day :lol:

DisneyWales

Original Poster
Ride Managment

The Park was empty, and on Pirates we were stuck for 10mins in a 6 boat back log, they were waiting for guests before sending boats around, so screw the guests onboad. Also had the same problem on Peter Pan, we stopped almost 8 times inside due to loading issues. This wasn't due to guest ascess this was waiting for guests to get in line.

I witnessed a cast member close over the sholder harnesses with his feet on Indiana Jones, a cast member dived over my head while i was sat in Space Mountin to unlock the resraint in frount of me, and then went on to Pin my arm between my chest and the harness (i was sorting out my camera and he closed the harness), i witnessed a cast member smoking on stage. These are a few of the Major Issues, general issues about attitude etc.

The Newport bay hotel was in horrible condition outside, missing paneling vastly fadded paint and alot of birds mess over it. Broken street paths causing H&S issues. My Friend cut a big hole in his glove on one of the banisters on Big Thunder Mountain. Low lighting levels on public walk paths while (the entrance to Discoveryland).

Honestly I could go on, i know Florida is not perfect, but it leaps and bounds over Paris. Im a beliver that if Disney want to build Parks all over the world the standard should be the same, and the standard in Paris is not.

I a fan who enjoys the atmosphere more than the rides, i enjoy Pin trading and cast member interaction, shopping in the stores, just walking around the park and taking in the sites, but that 'Living' atmosphere that WDW has, is not in Paris, it is JUST a Theme Park.

PATMAGIC

I think you are wrong in many ways, Paris is completely different to WDW, I have been told many times by someone who has been to both and I probably would agree with them, fake smiling is not a real smile, they are not really happy so why should the Paris cast members fake smile? Also as the problem with Pirates of the Caribbean it happens all the time anyway, so really a boat ride like that ends up doing that a lot, just wondering have you ever been to Blackpool Pleasure beach? and been on the River Caves? that's an example of that type of thing happening. Also here's a nice little bit of advice, do not camcord on Space Mountain if you cannot get arm back out in time simple as that, also yes ps, try speaking some french if you did not, please could I also say something else a banister is a banister I have cut my gloves many times in places, many of them theme parks what's so special about Disney that every WOODEN banister must be perfect? As for smoking on stage now that is the only one I would be annoyed with, all the rest are either normal things that happen in the rides or were brought on by yourself so please do not have a go about little pathetic things that really are so not even DLRP's fault. Also as for lackluster parade, have you not seen Disney MGM's stars and motorcars parade, now that is lackluster not la parade de noel in Disneyland Park, actually none of the parades in Paris are lackluster.

Tim G

DisneyWales said:
I just came back from DLRP and was nothing but disapointed with the resort. Unprofessional, and Unhappy castmembers.
Sometimes they're not unprofessional or/and unhappy... They're FRENCH...
Poor crowed control, and ride managment, poorly maintained Hotel buildings. A lackluster parade, staff who didn't even know their business area very well (i.e. asking ME where I bought merchandise, while i was inside the shop they were stocking )
You should have written an official complaint while you were there... You could do it now... although it might have less impact...
I have a number of casses to back up each of my coment here and many more far to many to write up in one place. But ultimately I am writing to Walt Disney Theme Parks in California to let them know about this. Ultimatly it comes down to DLRP not understanding the Disney Difference. In my opionion it is just a theme Park, and nothing more. Yes the rides are look better than Florida, but the Disney Spirt does not flow through this park.
No, no, no.... that's not the way....

You should do it RIGHT!!!

Writing a letter to the Walt Disney Company in California, won't do you any good...
Better is to write a letter of complaint to the head of communications overthere, he's the guy for these sort of things.

I've PM'ed you with the contact details

Try to be not to forcefull, but be very clear about your all of your complaints,
and try to set them ordered on topic, so they can check them more easy...
I'm pretty sure you'll get an answer from him...

Hope this helps (a bit)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sounds like you did have a bad time. In defence of the Newport; it`s currently in the middle of a year long refurb, where the exterior is being practically rebuilt. We saw bad areas like you describe, with them looking like new a few days later.

DisneyWales

Original Poster
Thanks

Hey Corrus thanks for the info, I did make a complaint while I was there, mainly about the major issues, I.E. staff and safety issues, these I things I do at WDW, Universal and Alton Towers, its my right as a guest, however the other things, i was planning of making a formal letter with it clearly outlined why I feel the park shouldn't be holding the Disney name over the gate.

Well maybe not that harsh, but exlaining why i was so upset and let down but the showmanship of DLRP.

Again Thanks

Tim G

DisneyWales said:
Hey Corrus thanks for the info, I did make a complaint while I was there, mainly about the major issues, I.E. staff and safety issues, these I things I do at WDW, Universal and Alton Towers, its my right as a guest, however the other things, i was planning of making a formal letter with it clearly outlined why I feel the park shouldn't be holding the Disney name over the gate.

Well maybe not that harsh, but exlaining why i was so upset and let down but the showmanship of DLRP.

Again Thanks
I guess, you received my PM??...

Good!

Have a Magical day!

DisneyWales

Original Poster
PATMAGIC said:
I think you are wrong in many ways, Paris is completely different to WDW.

Not all cast members fake Smile, some actually liek to interact, plus my friend is a fluent Frence Speaker,

Please dont tell me im wrong, i have my opionion, and as a paying guest i have a right to give my feedback. Also i was not filming Space Mountain it was a photo camera i was putting it in my pocket, plus i dont call having a cast member leaning over me to service the guest infront as professional. So please dont let off on me with out all the facts, im just giving an overview of the situation here.

Your intitled to your opion as much as i am to mine. I have never had problems like these in WDW and I have been to WDW ALOT more than DLRP. Yes WDW is different, it better.

Tim G

DisneyWales said:
Please dont tell me im wrong, i have my opionion, and as a paying guest i have a right to give my feedback. Also i was not filming Space Mountin it was a photo camera i was putting im my pocket, plus i dont call having a cast member leaning over me to service the guest infront as professional.

Your intitled to your opion as much as i am to mine. I have never had problems like these in WDW and I have been to WDW ALOT more than DLRP. Yes WDW is different, it better.
IMO) you're absolutely right DisneyWales...

disney_nutter

I was there at the begining of the xmas session in november and had a brillant time, i will agree that lack of lighting is a problem and that discovery land is very dangerous becauseof it but other than that i enjoy the park a lot better to magic kingdom on my last trip, the castmembers were brillant and always willing to help, all the ride ran smoothly and e had a great four days. Newport bay at the minute does look a mess but as was just said before it is under a rehad and they had people working on it while i was there. To me this had more disney magic for christmas than the last time i was at disney world for xmas but that is only my veiw

DisneyWales

Original Poster
Christmas

Please People dont miss understand what im saying, i was disapointed as a Disney Parks Fan. On a whole the park is generally well maintained and well kept, and if it was just another Theme Park i would probably walked away thinking, wow how nice eveything looks, shame about the staff.

But the point is, its a Disney Park. Walt Built California so that that it wouldn't be just another theme park, it was a Magical Land, where the Guests came first, and every person, both Cast and Guests had a story to tell, in Florida you get this, Guests are wearing princess dresses, playing sword fights, wearing honeymoon mickey ears, dressing up as characters, trading Pins, recalling there childhood memories of Disney Movies and characters, experiancing something new. Paris doesn't have that Kinetic charge the Florida has, its stagnent, everone there is just there to ride rides. People were actually looking at me odd for wearing a Stich Xmas Hat, and wearing Pins around my neck.

I enjoyed they Park, but not the Disney side of the Park, if you cant understand what I mean by how different these two things are, then sadly you will not see where im coming from.

Also by lacluster Parade I mean retheming World of Disney for Noel in my eyes as nice as it was, took away anything unique about this parade, and Fantillusion is missing the flow and life that Spectromagic has. There were both very enjoyable parades, but if I was honest I know they could do alot better.

Nala_84

I guess I know what you mean--although this did not happen to me, I'd never think a guy that wears Mickey Mouse Ears would be strange or something...

But I guess the fact that the people only "ride rides" and do not talk to each other has a simple meaning: In comparison with the American Disney Parks, DLRP has millions of international visitors that sometimes don't speak or understand French and English. They go there to have fun in a park that does not exist like that in Hungary, Denmark, Russia or whatever. Also the cultures of the Europeans are all different, while the Americans have almost the same understanding of culture.

I think the language barrier is one of the most serious problems, why the French park is "less Disney" than the American ones... :eek:

DisneyWales

Original Poster
Language

I think that it is a slight problem, but my point to the Disneyland Cast Member was that them speaking French could be something they could give back to International guests.

For example you hear something enough you learn its meaning. For example as you walk into the park if they were to say Bon' Jour to you you know its a greeting, and the same with Au revoir as you walk out. Its only simple but its something they could give back.

My feelings on the whole language barrier is its sometimes better to try, than not bother at all.

Walt Disney World has guests from all over the world, some of which are unable to speak fluent English, but they still get spoken too, why is it any different just because the park is in France.

Im Sure as you walk into Disney Hong Kong you get a nice Ne'Hi, or in Disneyland Japan you get a Konnichiwa. Same Difference?!?!

Tim G

DisneyWales said:
Walt Disney World has guests from all over the world, some of which are unable to speak fluent English, but they still get spoken too, why is it any different just because the park is in France.

About 10 years ago, My wife and I were waiting in line to get some ribs in the Cowboy Cookout Barbecue restaurant in Frontierland - DLP......

After about, I think it was 30mins or so, (people behind us already left)...We were still waiting (and upset!) And I wanted to stay right there.. because the girl behind the register, still seemed to be veeeery busy talking with some boyfriend or co-worker without badge...

Anyway, I approached her in french (with american accent of course) with my comment, she smiled and answered me with something in french which meant as much as, Sorry I'm busy... and mumbled afterwords in french...... Stupid american!!!

She shouldn't have done that!!! I was furious!!! But she went on talking with that other person...

We went straight back to the Disneyland hotel, to get my ID from our room... showed this to the lady at the frontdesk, (who WAS friendly and spoke fluent english btw) and asked her for Françoise Sagorin... Manager, Human Resources at that time, (that was the only person I met a week before)... I had to do something!

She asked what it was all about, so I explained... she took the phone and asked for her, (she seemed to be unavailable at that moment)
The next day I had a very nice telephone conversation with her, and the girl was released the same day...

Afterwords, she even offered us dinner, which I friendly refused, I just wanted to see the girl in question gone... which happened...

2 days later we went back to the US...

This incedent took place in 1995, april something... So I thought, they should have learned by now..... They obviously didn't...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom