Disney's producing a live-action Beauty and the Beast movie

Donillary Crumpton

Disney, once again, this is the one you are not allowed to screw up. The original animated film is a masterpiece.
I was quite happy with how the live-action remakes of Cinderella and The Jungle Book turned out. Both stayed very true to the tone & heart of their animated counterparts, yet each adding their own changes to better the story. (Ex: Mowgli getting to choose to stay in the jungle at the end, and fit in where he wants. More story added to Shere Khan's character. Cinderella meeting & spending time with the prince prior to the ball, more character development of her father, etc...)
None of those changes (imo) distracted from or took away from the mood or theme of the original animated classics. They both felt like a great, revised ride...keeping strong loyalty to what they were remaking, yet evolving a few tidbits here & there. Those were both wins for Disney in my book.

Now as far as Alice In Wonderland, Maleficent (though not technically a "remake"), and more recently, Pete's Dragon.... I'll just say that each of those adaptations left a lot to be desired. :banghead::banghead::banghead: For me, at least. Just my opinion.

The way things are shaping up with Beauty & The Beast based on what has been shown so far...it's looking like it will go the route of Cindy & Mowgli...keeping very loyal to what we all know & love about the classic original, and any changes thrown in will be subtle enough to not distract, yet evolving the classic tale somewhat for the better. Here's hoping.

Californian Elitist

Disney, once again, this is the one you are not allowed to screw up. The original animated film is a masterpiece.

This. I haven't seen one recent, good animated-to-live-action film from Disney yet. Of all the ones that have been released so far, Beauty and the Beast deserves the most respect, in my opinion...messing it up will be a no-no and will not be accepted.

brb1006

Another photo featuring concept art for Mrs Potts,Chip, The Wardrobe and the Footstool
1I1cUsI.jpg

Tony Perkis

I was quite happy with how the live-action remakes of Cinderella and The Jungle Book turned out. Both stayed very true to the tone & heart of their animated counterparts, yet each adding their own changes to better the story. (Ex: Mowgli getting to choose to stay in the jungle at the end, and fit in where he wants. More story added to Shere Khan's character. Cinderella meeting & spending time with the prince prior to the ball, more character development of her father, etc...)
None of those changes (imo) distracted from or took away from the mood or theme of the original animated classics. They both felt like a great, revised ride...keeping strong loyalty to what they were remaking, yet evolving a few tidbits here & there. Those were both wins for Disney in my book.

Now as far as Alice In Wonderland, Maleficent (though not technically a "remake"), and more recently, Pete's Dragon.... I'll just say that each of those adaptations left a lot to be desired. :banghead::banghead::banghead: For me, at least. Just my opinion.

The way things are shaping up with Beauty & The Beast based on what has been shown so far...it's looking like it will go the route of Cindy & Mowgli...keeping very loyal to what we all know & love about the classic original, and any changes thrown in will be subtle enough to not distract, yet evolving the classic tale somewhat for the better. Here's hoping.
I actually don't think they're great. They're nice filler entertainment that don't insult the originals.

Donillary Crumpton

Hey, no one put a gun to Mowgli's head and made him go live in the man village in the animated version. He made a choice in that one too.
True. But it still sorta felt like that was the underlying theme...happiness only comes when you're with those like you. Heck, even Bageera was still encouraging him to return to the man village after Shere Khan had been chased off, and the threat was gone.

Matt_Black

True. But it still sorta felt like that was the underlying theme...happiness only comes when you're with those like you. Heck, even Bageera was still encouraging him to return to the man village after Shere Khan had been chased off, and the threat was gone.

There would have been other threats, eventually, and Mowgli was a bit of a putz.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom