Disney's problem with 2D Animation

Brer Panther

Original Poster
I wish Disney would be a bit more creative with their CGI animation. There are a lot of animated movies ("Horton Hears a Who", the "Madagascar" movies, most of the films from Sony Pictures Animation) that go out of their way to prove that you can pull off a more cartoony feel in CGI. And you've also got films from PIXAR and DreamWorks, where a film like "Brave" can look really different from "WALL-E", likewise for "The Croods" and "Turbo". But all of Disney's CGI looks the same!

StageFrenzy

Look at the first two pages of this sub forum, see an original idea? Now I like the MCU and I will probably see SW:TFA. I should have seen PatF but I have not, I would argue that is the issue with 2D and other in-house properties not based on existing "Disney" properties.

Magenta Panther

I think it's funny that while Walt Disney Animation Studios is now all-CGI, its TV offerings are still in 2D. Very good 2D too. Anyone check out the new show Star vs. The Forces of Evil? It rocks, and has some stellar animation in it. And how nice to see a goofy spastic character (Star) who isn't obnoxious or a jerk. Kudos to the Disney TV for avoiding that pitfall.

Brer Panther

Original Poster
Look at the first two pages of this sub forum, see an original idea? Now I like the MCU and I will probably see SW:TFA. I should have seen PatF but I have not, I would argue that is the issue with 2D and other in-house properties not based on existing "Disney" properties.

What do "MCU" and "SW:TFA" stand for?

Jahona

Unfortunately most of the 2D offerings that air on The Disney Channel and Disney XD are not created by Walt Disney Animation Studios. They are entirely independent production companies that sell their shows or contract with Disney. The largest independent studio that Disney contracts with seems to be Mercury Filmworks, Star Vs. The Forces of Evil and Jake and the Never land Pirates. In the past

Matt_Black

Unfortunately most of the 2D offerings that air on The Disney Channel and Disney XD are not created by Walt Disney Animation Studios. They are entirely independent production companies that sell their shows or contract with Disney. The largest independent studio that Disney contracts with seems to be Mercury Filmworks, Star Vs. The Forces of Evil and Jake and the Never land Pirates. In the past

They're co-produced by Disney Television Animation. And many series are solely produced by DTA, including The 7D, Penn Zero, Wander Over Yonder, and currently the big gorilla for Disney XD, Gravity Falls.

Jahona

They're co-produced by Disney Television Animation. And many series are solely produced by DTA, including The 7D, Penn Zero, Wander Over Yonder, and currently the big gorilla for Disney XD, Gravity Falls.

Check out Mercury Filmworks website. Might surprise you how many shows Walt Disney Television Animation doesn't actually create in house. As I said, a lot of television shows are contracted out to independent studios.

Brer Panther

Original Poster
Who even was it who thought Disney should stop doing traditionally animated movies after Winnie the Pooh, anyway? Was it Lasseter? Iger? The executives?

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Who even was it who thought Disney should stop doing traditionally animated movies after Winnie the Pooh, anyway? Was it Lasseter? Iger? The executives?
Initially Lasseter wanted to continue traditional animation, but he probably changed his mind. I'd imagine Iger and the suits may have played a part in that.

Brer Panther

Original Poster
I assume it was the executives. They're probably responsible for the lack of professional voice actors in major roles, too (aside from Alan Tudyk, and T.J. Miller if he counts as a professional voice actor).

Matt_Black

T.J. Miller is actually getting pretty big though. He's been in quite a few movies and he has a major role on Silicon Valley.

I wasn't disputing that. I was more commenting on Brer Panther's repeated complaints how Disney has somehow recently shifted to using big name actors and celebrities in their films, even though that's something they've been doing for at least forty years or longer.

Sped2424

I wasn't disputing that. I was more commenting on Brer Panther's repeated complaints how Disney has somehow recently shifted to using big name actors and celebrities in their films, even though that's something they've been doing for at least forty years or longer.
What do you mean stars are selling points to blockbuster films? NOT HERE AIn'T NO HOW.

Matt_Black

You'll note that Disney doesn't often heavily advertise the voice talent, regardless who it is. Not the way that Dreamworks often does. Wreck-It Ralph was one of the few recent films where at least one ad took that tact. Generally, Disney lets the characters, setting and story sell the film, not the talent.

Tony the Tigger

First, it didn't bomb. It was in the black, though just barely. Second, can you think of a 2D hit in the last 10 years? I can't. They view it as too risky to sink 100 million into a 2D film. I miss it too, but I do love the current stuff. 2D is a phonograph record. Loved but gone.

Records are the only part of the music business that are up in sales. Huge.

Tony the Tigger

I assume it was the executives. They're probably responsible for the lack of professional voice actors in major roles, too (aside from Alan Tudyk, and T.J. Miller if he counts as a professional voice actor).

I don't understand why this matters. Are you insinuating that good live action actors can't voice act as well as voice actors ( Who probably wish they were live action actors?)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom