Disney's Older Live Action Movies

britdaw

Original Poster
As a kid, I used to get so excited when my dad would go to the local video store and bring home a surprise movie for us to watch. He introduced us to a lot of the live action movies from the 60's and 70's, and to this day I still have a soft spot for movies like "Swiss Family Robinson", "The Parent Trap", and "Pollyanna".

Do you have a favorite out of Disney's older live action films?

Animaniac93-98

Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Pollyanna, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Swiss Family Robinson, The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh, The Great Locomotive Chase, The Happiest Millionaire and many others.

prberk

Old Yeller is in a league of its own, as far as I am concerned. Modern culture still references it. (See the modern country song that says he didn't cry when he saw it.) It, along with Pollyanna, Mary Poppins, and perhaps Swiss Family Robinson and The gy Dog and The Absent-Minded Professor and Treasure Island and The Parent Trap and Summer Magic should all be in rotation to be shown on TV regularly, as they once were.

I think Old Yeller and Mary Poppins both would still do well to be re-released in the theatres with the right promotion and timing. Generations love these films.

I think that Old Yeller has universal themes with which nearly every boy, and even most girls, will identify. As I watched it as an adult I was struck with the responsibility placed on Travis, as his father left for a long time to go into town. And it was not out of place for its time (the west of the 1860s). It helped him grow into a man. And his father believed in him, having given him the tools to do it in the first place. And his mother did not coddle him. She loved him and took care of him when he was injured, but still let him grow and take responsibility to be "the man of the house" while his dad was gone. He grappled with sibling rivalry, puppy love (literally and figuratively), disaster, irritation, and disease -- and also had some fun and adventure along the way.

What a story for modern audiences. And so gorgeously filmed.

Every generation needs to see this film, I think.

prberk

Night Crossing is a true story made in the late '80s about a family escaping East Germany to freedom in the west by balloon. It is well worth seeing. When recreating it for the film, they used the family as consultants and recreated the balloon exactly as they had, but could not get the movie one to fly. It was truly a miracle that they had been able to both get the original balloon to fly and to get over the fence and escape altogether. The movie did their story justice.

Blackie Pueblo

Oh my gosh I am so happy that you brought up Pollyanna and Swiss Family Robinson. I love those movies. I have both of those on special 2 disc collector's DVDs and still to this day watch them a lot. Another one I absolutely love is Summer Magic. Another fantastic movie starring Hayley Mills. I also still love Treasure Island and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Many of those classic live action movies are still great today unfortunately it seems the younger generation doesn't have the patience to sit through them

prberk

Oh my gosh I am so happy that you brought up Pollyanna and Swiss Family Robinson. I love those movies. I have both of those on special 2 disc collector's DVDs and still to this day watch them a lot. Another one I absolutely love is Summer Magic. Another fantastic movie starring Hayley Mills. I also still love Treasure Island and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Many of those classic live action movies are still great today unfortunately it seems the younger generation doesn't have the patience to sit through them

I believe that Summer Magic was said to have been Walt Disney's own personal favorite. I actually have not seen it, but I have heard the music and love Burl Ives, who I believe is in it.

KIds will have the patience for them if you expect them to and set the movie up for them. Many parents today don't expose kids to movies like this, but I do know kids and older teens who do appreciate them once exposed to them (some more than others, of course).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom