Disney's Hollywood Studios testing mobile app pre-ordering at restaurants and during Fantasmic!

ToTBellHop

Very cool idea, especially at Fantasmic. Smart use of technology. I have to imagine that their end-game, if this is popular, is to run it through MDE with MagicBands for tracking. This seems like a test to determine whether or not it is worth it for Disney to look into adding that functionality to MDE.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Love the idea but is it a separate app from MDE? If so, I'd love to know the cost of it. Great way to spend 2 billion and then have to create another app to just order food. I do like it though so please save the flames. Disney can afford it.

MagicHappens1971

Very cool idea, especially at Fantasmic. Smart use of technology. I have to imagine that their end-game, if this is popular, is to run it through MDE with MagicBands for tracking. This seems like a test to determine whether or not it is worth it for Disney to look into adding that functionality to MDE.
I think your 100% right, and I do want to believe there end-game is to use this functionality resort wide. I believe that there is at least 60% left of things to be done with MyMagic+

MagicHappens1971

The stay-in-your-seat-and-get-food-delivered aspect of this is very intriguing. As a father of young kids, I like the idea of finding a seat and staying there with my family without having to worry about someone stealing our space/seats.
I think your 100% right, and like I said earlier I think this is just the begging and will eventually be rolled out in bigger ways

Miketic

I was there, I downloaded it and it is free. It's called "Express Order". They just started it and it makes it very convenient to get food. The only things available to order are Hot Dogs, Popcorn, Pretzels, soda, water, and beer along with some of the Made with Magic stuff. It was easy to use, all you do is just put in your credit card information and enable push notification and GPS. When you order what you want and whenever you're at the amphitheater you'll receive a push notification notify you that your order is being processed and how it will get to you is when you receive the notification that it is on it's way, it'll give you a number to look for which you have to find a Cast Member with a red apron and flag them down. When they get to you, show them your order number on your phone and you'll receive your order. Once you receive your order, you'll then be charged on what you ordered and your receipt will be sent to you via. e-mail. Also in case the Cast Member is having a difficult time finding you, they'll send a notification saying that they're looking for you. Then if you didn't receive your order, it will be cancelled and you won't be charged. You can also make your order two days in advance.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.venuenext.disney&hl=en

Apple: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/express-order/id962406755?mt=8

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I was there, I downloaded it and it is free. It's called "Express Order". They just started it and it makes it very convenient to get food. The only things available to order are Hot Dogs, Popcorn, Pretzels, soda, water, and beer along with some of the Made with Magic stuff. It was easy to use, all you do is just put in your credit card information and enable push notification and GPS. When you order what you want and whenever you're at the amphitheater you'll receive a push notification notify you that your order is being processed and how it will get to you is when you receive the notification that it is on it's way, it'll give you a number to look for which you have to find a Cast Member with a red apron and flag them down. When they get to you, show them your order number on your phone and you'll receive your order. Once you receive your order, you'll then be charged on what you ordered and your receipt will be sent to you via. e-mail. Also in case the Cast Member is having a difficult time finding you, they'll send a notification saying that they're looking for you. Then if you didn't receive your order, it will be cancelled and you won't be charged. You can also make your order two days in advance.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.venuenext.disney&hl=en

Apple: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/express-order/id962406755?mt=8
Based on that description, seems like they are making simple things complicated.

So, basically, now I have to keep my eyes out for the CM in a red apron and let them know? How is this any more convenient (for consumers and operators) than just sending out the vendors with Magicband readers and marketing like you would at a baseball game?

Also, what advantage would a preorder have? The key to good merching (I know, I've done it) is the impulse buy. Even more so when at a venue with children who "see the cotton candy" and now you are implored, by the child, not by an app, to buy it.

Why layer an extra system on top of it for operations to deal with? Especially one that involves potential waste if the delivery is not made, or complaints if it's not made in a timely manner?

Maybe I'm missing the true value of the program, but as someone who's run operations like these sorts of venues, I'm not impressed.

The simple addition of a "seat number" in the ordering process could easily streamline it, but based on that description, it's a far looser system than that.

Just because technology CAN do something, doesn't necessarily mean that it should.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The stay-in-your-seat-and-get-food-delivered aspect of this is very intriguing. As a father of young kids, I like the idea of finding a seat and staying there with my family without having to worry about someone stealing our space/seats.
it's called "fast casual" in the industry, in general...though there are other definitions (for example, about 15 years ago, fast food meant "no table service" generally, whereas "quick service" meant cashier order (or app order) and table deliver of food using a tent style system, generally (which is different than how Disney uses the term).

If Disney intends to go Fast Casual for their QS setups, I think it's an intriguing concept. It wouldn't lead to labor savings, but it would lead to line savings. In an "ideal" streamlined iPOS setup, you'd end up with a "seater" and a kiosk style menu (which could be accessed through your phone or low value on premises tablets) for ordering. However, cashier labor would be converted to expedite/runner labor...and since both are non-tipped wage positions, there really is no cost savings converting one to the other.

You'd have to have a wait/seat team to prevent guest conflicts over tables, as the table is now PART of the ordering process, instead of an afterthought.

However, the Guest experience would be dramatically impacted (for the better, imho, especially at venues like Cosmic Rays, Pecos Bills, Restaurantosaurus, and the like).

But as far as ordering concessions at Fantasmic...well...color me not impressed.

Miketic

Based on that description, seems like they are making simple things complicated.
So, basically, now I have to keep my eyes out for the CM in a red apron and let them know? How is this any more convenient (for consumers and operators) than just sending out the vendors with Magicband readers and marketing like you would at a baseball game?
The thing that I was curious was that when I tried it and waiting for the delivery was that they were already nearby my area looking at a phone so I'm assuming that they are locating us since in order to use the app you need to have GPS and push notifications enabled. I do plan on going back tomorrow and try it again.

MagicHappens1971

As much as I'd like to hope they'd integrate this into MDE, the app is specifically for Walt Disney World, no one else and nothing else. So if Disney went through the trouble to have a separate app developed, why would they intergrate it

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The thing that I was curious was that when I tried it and waiting for the delivery was that they were already nearby my area looking at a phone so I'm assuming that they are locating us since in order to use the app you need to have GPS and push notifications enabled. I do plan on going back tomorrow and try it again.
Cel Phone GPS only gets you, in an ideal connection state, about an 30 - 40 foot diameter of accuracy.

Wifi can improve that (with massive triangulation algorithms running) or bluetooth LE as the bands long range capabilities use (again with lots of readers and triangulation)...but, it's far from seat delivery.

So, basically, instead of me flagging down the dude with the flat of popcorn, now I tell the dude with the flat of popcorn to wonder around my general area and it's my responsibility to still flag him down, and instead of quickly short range RFID paying with my band (or how we used to do it, cash or a quick swipe of the KTTW card), now I have to whip out my cel phone, while he whips out his iTouch, looks up my confirm number to confirm my purchase, finish the transaction (oh wait, CC declined!?!?!)...all in a stadium environment with bench seating and crowds?

Yeah...

I'm not seeing this test going well.

The QS stuff though I think is more intriguing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom