Disney's Hollywood Studios Name Change

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I loved this park so much. Even last year it rivalled EPCOT and the MK for me.

But the closing of GMR is the breaking point. The soul is gone. The back half of the park was already gone. But the front half of the park is now dead too. Almost unnoticed references to classic and non-Disney Hollywood have been stripped, from Sid Cahuenga to the AFI showcase to music played to tv Hall of Fame to the absense of the studio back half, which lessens the theme of the front half too. The front half feels like an empty shell now. The way FW still sorta looks like EPCOT but you feel something is not right and is gone.

I got in, did the four rides, did a show and was out in three hours. Quite devastated. :cry:

I would contend DHS was a mess from the beginning: Rushed to completion to beat Universal. Awful attempt to have studio clout by using the MGM name... which was in name only. Immediate lawsuit fights with MGM and dropping the name. Failure to commit to being an active studio. The rush to become MK 2.0 began long ago with adding a Star Wars and Muppets attractions. The TV Hall of Fame is non-prestigious institution (and now, mostly moribund) and buying into it wasn't that smart (plus, more busts than can be displayed in an odd area). The failure to keep TGMR properly refurbished and the weak AMC make-over. The BAH. The rather lengthy time it took to do something about the fact that all the studio-related stuff was gone.

I can understand how the handful of really neat things it once had will be missed. But as a park in toto? It was always 'meh'. And until there is at least two more 'lands' or their equivalent that takes over all that backstage and wasted space in the TSL-RnRC-LaunchBay triangle, it will still be 'meh' in toto even though it may have the hottest property (SWL) in all of the theme parks.

AEfx

I don't remember the exact amount of time for the entire tour, but, the ride part was never all that long. I used to always walk slowly through the areas where we were looking down through the big windows and seeing the sound stages below. Pretty much were TSMM is today.

When the park opened, they were pretty much equal - just under an hour each. Between the line, etc. - the Backlot tour was big chunk of your day. The studio trams used to stop a lot so people could take pictures, etc. of the classic TV sets, or the vehicles in the bone yard, etc. (you couldn't get out, but the tram itself would stop quite a bit so you could actually see and hear about the stuff). Remember, it covered 2/3 of the park area. Over the years stuff got cut, but even at the end the tram portion itself was what - 40 minutes or so, if I recall (I remember the last time I was there, I literally had cast members in front as I was walking by begging me to ride - I'm not kidding).

I see what you are saying above about "rides" - but I think people just generically use that word for "stuff to do". It helped back then that there was more to do, most of it took more time to experience, and it wasn't the same shows that have now been sitting there for 25 years now. The Studios were a full-day park when they opened, especially once they got Fantasmic. But over the years, in spite of the additions (short rides versus longer experiences) - it has definitely earned it's reputation as a "half-day at most" park - especially with repeat visitors who originally saw things like the Indy show for the first time up to 28 years ago...

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
Cinemagic is my favorite of the suggestions I've heard so far! Disney's Hollywood Adventure is fine but "Adventure" feels like a DCA rip-off...it doesn't seem especially unique to DHS. Cinemagic feels very much in the spirit of Disney, especially since the new DHS won't necessarily be an homage to films of all genres (like the GMR) but more about Disney and Disney-owned films & franchises. That being said I do 100% agree that Hollywood itself is still a part of DHS (and will continue to be), so I get the argument to keep Hollywood in the name.

Can't imagine that survey being real. I know we like to joke about Disney's poor decision making skills, but I doubt XL, Beyond, Kaleidoscope or any of the other weird names in that list are actually on the table.

Unrelated...anyone else mourning the switch from "Disney's" to "Disney"? Not a big deal obviously, and I'm sure there's some official reason for the change, but it doesn't roll of the tongue half as well and makes a little bit less sense IMO.
Supposedly, the reason behind dropping the apostrophe is that it is more 21st Century/internet/search engine friendly.
Anyone see what I'm seeing?

I would say that's just a typo, but Disney would rather me say "that just a typo."

Also, why do they commonly put "Theme Park" after Disney's Animal Kingdom, but nothing after Disney's Hollywood Studios and Epcot. Are they still having nahtazu withdrawals?
I believe the full title was "Disney-MGM Studios Theme Park until Animal Kingdom opened...?
Hollywood Adventure is okay, but I really do not think they should go with it. Hollywoodland or Hollywood Land is awesome, but to me, people think of lands as within the park vs. the park itself. Unless of course, the park is themed to random IP lands like HWS. I hope they surprise us with their choice.
Like Disneyland (Alright, Disneyland Park. But it worked for a few decades just fine!)
He pushed to have it open a year before too.
13 months to the day
But it will be a park that represents the various studios, although I agree that they will want to get rid of the "studios" word in the name.
When Pixar Place was going to extend the "studio by way of Mickey's Toontown" approach where the characters were "movie stars," then I would have agreed with you.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Given the 21 Century Fox talks I thought it time to revisit the HS rename; specifically if that name or any of the IPs under that studio umbrella could influence the rename. On the other hand; the word "Grand" has been used pretty heavily lately within the parks. Grand Arts Theatre, Grand Park, Grand Avenue. So something like "Grand Adventure" could work. Disney Grand

Magenta Panther

Given the 21 Century Fox talks I thought it time to revisit the HS rename; specifically if that name or any of the IPs under that studio umbrella could influence the rename. On the other hand; the word "Grand" has been used pretty heavily lately within the parks. Grand Arts Theatre, Grand Park, Grand Avenue. So something like "Grand Adventure" could work. Disney Grand

Maybe the park should be called Disney Entertainment Monopolyland, since if Iger has his way, he'll soon own all of Hollywood.

JEANYLASER

Magicart87! I think that Grand Adventure could work and a great name I love that name Disney's Grand Adventure I hope!

Rowlet

I think "Adventure" would be a great choice - whether it's Disney's Hollywood Adventure or Disney's Grand Adventure. My only hesitation in thinking it would contain the word "Adventure" is Universal's use of it right next door. I think it's been mentioned in this thread before that Disney may not want to use a word which a competitor uses so close by. Sigh.

PizzaPlanet

I think "Adventure" would be a great choice - whether it's Disney's Hollywood Adventure or Disney's Grand Adventure. My only hesitation in thinking it would contain the word "Adventure" is Universal's use of it right next door. I think it's been mentioned in this thread before that Disney may not want to use a word which a competitor uses so close by. Sigh.
One of Universal's parks already shares the word "studios" with DHS, I don't see why using "adventure" would be any different.

No Name

They've been intentionally using "Studios" since the dawn of the park. The park was created to beat out Universal Studios Florida. They probably want a similar name.

Rowlet

One of Universal's parks already shares the word "studios" with DHS, I don't see why using "adventure" would be any different.

True - but MGM-Studios opened prior to Universal Studios, so one could argue that they were the first "Studios." We know that Universal Studios was announced first, but Disney beat them to the punch.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Just brought up in another thread:

The park's public spaces are consistently linked to Hollywood (cf. the new Grand Ave. area). And the park is consistently bringing in IP from various movie studios that Disney owns (Disney, Pixar, LucasFilm, maybe a little Marvel).

So... Disney Hollywood Studios is now the best name for the park. It's about going into the movies produced by the various Disney movie studios set in Hollywood.

Marc Davis Fan

Just brought up in another thread:

The park's public spaces are consistently linked to Hollywood (cf. the new Grand Ave. area). And the park is consistently bringing in IP from various movie studios that Disney owns (Disney, Pixar, LucasFilm, maybe a little Marvel).

So... Disney Hollywood Studios is now the best name for the park. It's about going into the movies produced by the various Disney movie studios set in Hollywood.

Allow me to respectfully disagree here. I think you're right about the "Hollywood" part being as relevant as ever, and I hope that stays. However, I think having "studios" in the name really makes it sound as though guests will be visiting a brick and mortar studio (as originally [sort-of] intended). Since the park is now focused on venturing into the worlds of films and television shows, I think something like Disney's Hollywood Adventure is more apt. In fact I actually think the DHA name is really good, as I believe it fits that new spirit of the park particularly well. Just my two cents, anyhow.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Allow me to respectfully disagree here. I think you're right about the "Hollywood" part being as relevant as ever, and I hope that stays. However, I think having "studios" in the name really makes it sound as though guests will be visiting a brick and mortar studio (as originally [sort-of] intended). Since the park is now focused on venturing into the worlds of films and television shows, I think something like Disney's Hollywood Adventure is more apt. In fact I actually think the DHA name is really good, as I believe it fits that new spirit of the park particularly well. Just my two cents, anyhow.
I agree with this. The “Studios” part maybe could have been repurposed if the park was changed so that each “Land” was based on a film studio owned by TWDC. However, they went away from that potential approach when they changed Pixar Place into just Toy Story Land and they didn’t connect Indy to Star Wars. I am glad they didn’t take that approach. I never thought the idea of a Pixar Place with multiple Pixar IPs in one Land made sense. Toy Story characters have nothing to do with Monsters Inc or Cars.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

I agree with this. The “Studios” part maybe could have been repurposed if the park was changed so that each “Land” was based on a film studio owned by TWDC. However, they went away from that potential approach when they changed Pixar Place into just Toy Story Land and they didn’t connect Indy to Star Wars. I am glad they didn’t take that approach. I never thought the idea of a Pixar Place with multiple Pixar IPs in one Land made sense. Toy Story characters have nothing to do with Monsters Inc or Cars.

"Studio" has more than one meaning.

Yes, it can mean a building in which a film or TV show is being made. But is also the name of a production company. As in Pixar Studio or LucasFilm Studio or Marvel Studios or Disney Studios. Since Disney owns all those studios, they are all Disney Studios. DHS could be simply call "Disney Studios Theme Park" since all of the studios that Disney owns have featured IPs there. Add "Hollywood" because of the public theming.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
"Studio" has more than one meaning.

Yes, it can mean a building in which a film or TV show is being made. But is also the name of a production company. As in Pixar Studio or LucasFilm Studio or Marvel Studios or Disney Studios. Since Disney owns all those studios, they are all Disney Studios. DHS could be simply call "Disney Studios Theme Park" since all of the studios that Disney owns have featured IPs there. Add "Hollywood" because of the public theming.
If the only connection to the different Disney owned studios is that various rides or lands feature their IP they could just replace the word studio with movie or franchise or IP. If like I said in my post the lands were organized by Studio (Lucas Film Land, Pixar Place, Muppets, Marvel, Walt Disney Animation, etc) then it may have made more sense. We now know that GoTG is not going to DHS and there are few other options for Marvel there. We also know that Indy and Star Wars are separated by Muppets. When the original rumor had SW in the area behind Indy it made more sense to have a Lucas Studio Land. For Pixar they opted to concentrate on one movie as opposed to featuring several Pixar related rides in the area.

I guess what I’m saying is the Studios connection seems kinda irrelevant now whether Studios refers to an active behind the scenes studio park or a park based on the IP of various owned studios. I think they can and will do better.

Next Big Thing

If the only connection to the different Disney owned studios is that various rides or lands feature their IP they could just replace the word studio with movie or franchise or IP. If like I said in my post the lands were organized by Studio (Lucas Film Land, Pixar Place, Muppets, Marvel, Walt Disney Animation, etc) then it may have made more sense. We now know that GoTG is not going to DHS and there are few other options for Marvel there. We also know that Indy and Star Wars are separated by Muppets. When the original rumor had SW in the area behind Indy it made more sense to have a Lucas Studio Land. For Pixar they opted to concentrate on one movie as opposed to featuring several Pixar related rides in the area.

I guess what I’m saying is the Studios connection seems kinda irrelevant now whether Studios refers to an active behind the scenes studio park or a park based on the IP of various owned studios. I think they can and will do better.
Universal Studios Florida does about as minimal filming as possible these days and it's not a park about film-making anymore, but you don't see them taking "Studios" out of their name.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom