Disney's Hollywood Studios Name Change

Goofyernmost

The only problem that I would have with Hollywoodland is that it is derived from a real estate development promotional sign. It smacks of taking the easy way and using, once again, someone elses IP. At best they would have to split the word to be Hollywood Land. I still think that there must be a better name and considering the degree of secrecy that Disney has managed to keep in regards to this, I'd have to think they have a good one. I guess we will see soon enough. A Rose by any other name is still a Rose.

Daveeeeed

Hollywood Adventure is okay, but I really do not think they should go with it. Hollywoodland or Hollywood Land is awesome, but to me, people think of lands as within the park vs. the park itself. Unless of course, the park is themed to random IP lands like HWS. I hope they surprise us with their choice.

Marianne75

Part of me thinks they'll steer away from anything with Adventure in the name because of Islands of Adventure. I like Disney's Hollywood Adventure the best too but IOA and Hollywood Adventure are too similar. Disney doesn't want people thinking SW:GE is at that other Adventure park.

Goofyernmost

Wouldn't it be funny if this whole park redo started because someone came up with a name so great for the park that they changed everything to match it. Funnier still is when it gets revealed, we all, collectively, slap our foreheads and say out loud. Damn, why didn't I think of that. Hey, it could happen! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

How about Disney's Wheelhouse refers to captains quarters, the everchanging venues but still Disney property and a throw back to Steamboat! and the studios!
The Hollywood is too California and not really a Disney moniker and adventure really is Universals name now....need a completely new tack.

Miceberg

I'm a little late to this party, but for those doubting the authenticity of the survey, my daughter visited the park during the week of 8/21 and she received this survey (and a couple others regarding other parks) directly from Disney via e-mail.

PizzaPlanet

Part of me thinks they'll steer away from anything with Adventure in the name because of Islands of Adventure. I like Disney's Hollywood Adventure the best too but IOA and Hollywood Adventure are too similar. Disney doesn't want people thinking SW:GE is at that other Adventure park.
That logic didn't stop them from originally naming the park MGM Studios, which was bound to be mixed up with Universal Studios.

Goofyernmost

That logic didn't stop them from originally naming the park MGM Studios, which was bound to be mixed up with Universal Studios.
At the time Universal didn't exist. If anything Universal would have been concerned about people thinking that Universal was at Disney (which still happens even after all these years). Not to mention that MGM was an integral part of the entire sponsorship structure of the park itself. Just try keeping their name out. At the time, and I would venture even now, most people don't know the difference between MGM and Universal Studios. Everyone is putting way to much faith in a public that gives a snot about the difference in the companies, especially concerning a theme park.

lazyboy97o

At the time Universal didn't exist. If anything Universal would have been concerned about people thinking that Universal was at Disney (which still happens even after all these years). Not to mention that MGM was an integral part of the entire sponsorship structure of the park itself. Just try keeping their name out. At the time, and I would venture even now, most people don't know the difference between MGM and Universal Studios. Everyone is putting way to much faith in a public that gives a snot about the difference in the companies, especially concerning a theme park.
Disney was copying Universal. They wanted a degree of confusion.

PizzaPlanet

Eisner knew very well that Universal Studios was coming to Orlando. That was a big part of his motivation to build the Studios to begin with. If they weren't afraid to name their park a studio then, I don't know why they would be afraid to put adventure in it's name now.

Mike S

Eisner knew very well that Universal Studios was coming to Orlando. That was a big part of his motivation to build the Studios to begin with. If they weren't afraid to name their park a studio then, I don't know why they would be afraid to put adventure in it's name now.
He pushed to have it open a year before too.

Goofyernmost

For the most part, it still hasn't hurt Disney to have done it that way. However, now would cause more confusion that wouldn't necessarily benefit Disney since Universal is now established and the confusion can roll the other way. Today there is a more likely to have people going to Uni looking for Star Wars instead of going to Disney to find Harry Potter.

Goofyernmost

You’re prior post is factually dubious, that’s what.
And is my guess about the motive any worse than yours. You don't know what they were actually thinking and I don't either, however, my opinion is that they wanted to be first, they knew that Uni was coming they set it up like the California Uni and beat them to it. Whether or not it was designed to "confuse" people or not is the thing that is factually dubious. What advantage would there be to confusing people. They wanted to be first, they were first and any confusion on the part of the public could easily be counterproductive and work against Disney instead of for them. You are the one spouting some sort of conspiracy theory here other then the one to open first.

lazyboy97o

And is my guess about the motive any worse than yours. You don't know what they were actually thinking and I don't either, however, my opinion is that they wanted to be first, they knew that Uni was coming they set it up like the California Uni and beat them to it. Whether or not it was designed to "confuse" people or not is the thing that is factually dubious. What advantage would there be to confusing people. They wanted to be first, they were first and any confusion on the part of the public could easily be counterproductive and work against Disney instead of for them. You are the one spouting some sort of conspiracy theory here other then the one to open first.
You presenting a faulty timeline that you are now denying and a mischaracterization of the circumstances (sponsorship). That isn’t me making up a conspiracy.

Goofyernmost

You presenting a faulty timeline that you are now denying and a mischaracterization of the circumstances (sponsorship). That isn’t me making up a conspiracy.
What am I denying? The timeline didn't change, the overall motive didn't change and and the conspiracy of wanting to confuse people is tinfoil hat time. I am assuming, yes assuming that MGM had some degree of financial liability for the park, even if it was cheaper cost of paying for the right to use their film library and name. Like I said, in my mind, any attempt to confuse the public can easily backfire, so since they got it going first there was no need to confuse anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom