Disneys direction ?

Mark Dunne

Original Poster
Hi there from the uk ,I am a long time Disney fan and would firstly like to say hello to all,please feel free to comment on this discussion,ok here goes,now I am a huge Disney fan and Star Wars fan,but I'm getting slightly concerned that what Walt created all those years ago,is being forgotten,and now there only interested in the franchising of huge movies like Star Wars and marvel.where has disneys creativity gone.its great to see new worlds being built(Avatar)but I really feel that certain attractions need a serious update,why not try to make an adventure tail for jungle cruise.using up to date animitronics.add a jungle book ride to MK.i know I said I don't like the way they buy franchise movies.but why not build a really great Indy trail for family's to explore in adventureland.any way sorry for long intro.lets get down to business

Mark Dunne

Original Poster
Welcome to the forums, Mark!
Thanks for that welcome. Just watched GOTG 2,very dissapointed, this is what I mean ref Disney direction, I feel the movies look messy unlike the first wave,iron man etc, I hope they look after SW a bit better,
Thanks again M

WEDwaydatamover

Hi Mark. Welcome. Bottom line is that we all love Disney for the most part. What it once was...What it is... Where it's heading... Or all of the above.

I'm was able to grow up seeing the golden days of Walt Disney World and cannot forget what I know. That puts me as a fan of what it once was more than anything. I think while the company is raking it in, it has lost its way and sold it's soul and unfortunately it will take a very long time for the pixie dust to settle.

I've never seen such a pathetic and desperate fire sale of creatively bankrupt ideas by TDO management to $ell anything-anyway possible. Did I mention pathetic already?

Last edited:

mergatroid

Welcome to the forum Mark. There's lots of great information and interesting people on here, I think you'll really enjoy it. There's also many different opinions about things on here, don't worry too much if people have a different opinion to you on certain things it's how it goes on here. Look forward to seeing you around.

JIMINYCR

I agree. There are so many outstanding, beloved Disney films and characters from the past that are completely missing from Disney parks and attractions. Unfortunately the money comes in by getting the guests attention by flashing and promoting the new trending, momentarily popular franchise. Yesterdays movies/characters, ideas and concepts are thought of as unsuited, insufficient and worthless when it comes to drawing in the masses and making money. Too bad Disney couldn't open a new park that just incorporated the old Disney for those of us who still love and remember the real Disney gems.

rob0519

People and their tastes change. Walt created a great entertainment brand with the technology and money that was available at the time. Walt died before WDW was opened, so most of it was the brainchild of other people anyway. The business world and educational systems changed. Now it's all about the last quarterly earnings and stock price, not long term sustainability , growth and customer service. People's tastes change as well. Mickey and Donald don't hold the same fascination for 8 year olds as Captain America and Iron Man.

Rumrunner

Keeping the old and incorporating the new should be done with care and appreciation of the things that made Disney great. I understand it is a new world but there is much to be learned and adored by both old and young from the past.. I sometimes think Disney is losing its way and that would be a shame.

emaginear

The issue at hand is not so much a Disney issue, but more of an issue of parenting. Yes, ...I know I'm going to get ripped up one side and down another for calling out the American parent, but seriously. You put your children on an ipad/ipod./android "DEVICE" for social media influence and "THINK", that "YOU" are doing your child a favor by keeping up with the next door neighbor! Do not complain how the DISNEY culture is being ran in the ground for corporate greed. This is why Grandpa WALT moved the park to Florida, TO MAKE MORE MONEY and keep his creative vision at the foreront! Today,... the majority of Americans take the vacation based onto stock price, because they get a text exemption, WHY? ...Because most Americans take a vacations as business owners, (aka entrepreneurs)! Then "we" have this "minority" segment that actually takes a vacation for the memories! Simply put. ENJOY being a Parent because you are parent, not because you can buy your kids the latest device which they stream "Star Wars" on for FREE!!! Then complain about Disney trying to make a buck so YOU do not think they are a failing company!

Minnesota disney fan

Hi there from the uk ,I am a long time Disney fan and would firstly like to say hello to all,please feel free to comment on this discussion,ok here goes,now I am a huge Disney fan and Star Wars fan,but I'm getting slightly concerned that what Walt created all those years ago,is being forgotten,and now there only interested in the franchising of huge movies like Star Wars and marvel.where has disneys creativity gone.its great to see new worlds being built(Avatar)but I really feel that certain attractions need a serious update,why not try to make an adventure tail for jungle cruise.using up to date animitronics.add a jungle book ride to MK.i know I said I don't like the way they buy franchise movies.but why not build a really great Indy trail for family's to explore in adventureland.any way sorry for long intro.lets get down to business

I totally agree Mark, but get ready for some fireworks!!!

Phonedave

First off - welcome

I'm sure when WDW opened in the 70's people were saying things like "who needs a theme park, what is wrong with playing in the woods with a pocketknife". Now it's 'What ever happened to old school theme parks, now all ti is is commerical movie tie in's".

It is all what is popular, and things are popular for a reason - people like them. You (or I) may not like them, but the majority of people do, and that is what business is all about.

People tend to look at things through the lense of nostalgia as well. I know I would enjoy a "old school" park more. I also know that I like to listen to the 80's station. No, the 80's were not the best era of music, but they are to me, because that's an era I look back on with fond memories. Certain songs still evoke strong memories from that time (Heck the whole Robert Plant "Now and Zen" album does). That does not make it good or bad, it makes it what I like.

Life goes on, things change, and I for one refuse to be the person who starts every sentence with "In my day ...." (I am OK with "Damn kids, get off my lawn" though)

-dave

Mark Dunne

Original Poster
First off - welcome

I'm sure when WDW opened in the 70's people were saying things like "who needs a theme park, what is wrong with playing in the woods with a pocketknife". Now it's 'What ever happened to old school theme parks, now all ti is is commerical movie tie in's".

It is all what is popular, and things are popular for a reason - people like them. You (or I) may not like them, but the majority of people do, and that is what business is all about.

People tend to look at things through the lense of nostalgia as well. I know I would enjoy a "old school" park more. I also know that I like to listen to the 80's station. No, the 80's were not the best era of music, but they are to me, because that's an era I look back on with fond memories. Certain songs still evoke strong memories from that time (Heck the whole Robert Plant "Now and Zen" album does). That does not make it good or bad, it makes it what I like.

Life goes on, things change, and I for one refuse to be the person who starts every sentence with "In my day ...." (I am OK with "Damn kids, get off my lawn" though)

-dave
Thanks for reply,and I love the 80's,two tribes being one f my all time fav singles,and I'm 46,LOL

Mark Dunne

Original Poster
I agree. There are so many outstanding, beloved Disney films and characters from the past that are completely missing from Disney parks and attractions. Unfortunately the money comes in by getting the guests attention by flashing and promoting the new trending, momentarily popular franchise. Yesterdays movies/characters, ideas and concepts are thought of as unsuited, insufficient and worthless when it comes to drawing in the masses and making money. Too bad Disney couldn't open a new park that just incorporated the old Disney for those of us who still love and remember the real Disney gems.
Yeah thanks for reply,you know funny thing I went to see GOTG 2 yesterday,I felt t was terrible,but willl still make a billion dollars no probs,and that's a problem,I hope the parks still give space mountain,test track(the ole version)haunted mansion etc a good life cos there great story rides,no movie tie in's,also funny when you think of POTC,now on 5th movie,all from a ride that has great storytelling,here's to imagination,and I take my hat of to walt!

Mark Dunne

Original Poster
Keeping the old and incorporating the new should be done with care and appreciation of the things that made Disney great. I understand it is a new world but there is much to be learned and adored by both old and young from the past.. I sometimes think Disney is losing its way and that would be a shame.
Thanks for reply,and that's what I worry about a bit,I don't want to sound as I'm stuck in the past,it's just my heart feels warm when I think of disneyworld and especially Epcot,but I see these huge franchises being sucked up by the big D and I worry a bit that imagination will be a thing of the past,they were the masters of creating rides from non movie franchises,lets have that back ,otherwise it could become to much like Universal studios

Phonedave

Thanks for reply,and I love the 80's,two tribes being one f my all time fav singles,and I'm 46,LOL

I am quickly approaching 47 (next month) so you and I probaly grew up with the same influences and cultural ideas - at least for items on a National / worldwide scope. People of different ages have different ideas.

-dave

Phonedave

Tthe majority of Americans take the vacation based onto stock price, because they get a text exemption, WHY? ...Because most Americans take a vacations as business owners, (aka entrepreneurs)! Then "we" have this "minority" segment that actually takes a vacation for the memories!!

What study are you basing this on? I used to own an LLC and I now have a rental property. I wrote and write off whatever i can, legally. No grey areas, nothing that is iffy (I have a home office, and I work from home for my real job, but I do not claim that because occassionaly guests sleep in it - about 10 nights out of the year total - but still that makes it not a dedicated office, and I don't claim it).

Anyway, I have never written off any sort of vacation, even a vacation that was actually in conjunction with the LLC. At the very most we could have written off the hotel room, food for one person, and maybe the transportation costs, but it was too much of a grey area (a family of four traveling for 4 days, so one person could attend a one day convention) to claim. There is no way somone (for the most part) could justify writing off a WDW vacation for their entire family.

Even if you could write off a WDW vacation, unless you are on the cusp of one tax bracket (or paying the Alternative Minimum Tax) a vacation is only going to "save" you a portion of the vacation amount.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom