Trip Report Disneymoon Report

The Brickers' Disneymoon Report (10/21 Update: Wedding Photos Added)

Preface:

Welcome to the Disneymoon Report. For those of you who have been following our Saga in the Pre-Disneymoon thread, thank you for bearing with us as we have delayed in getting this report posted. Hopefully it lives up to at least some of the expectations.

If you make it through this trip report and are hungry to read the others, here is a catalog of our past trip reports:
Engagement Report
August 2008
November/December 2008
August 2009
October 2009

Worth noting is that this report report is 44 single spaced pages of text. I don't point this out because I want to warn you before you make the time commitment to read it, but because at this length, and given my schedule, much of the report was written very hastily. I hope that it’s somewhat coherent and not rife with grammatical errors, stylistic faults, and misspelled words, but such may be the case.

Along the same lines, there are approximately 500 images among the first set of posts. The way I take pictures, my camera produces a “digital negative.” This is unlike most P&S cameras, which give you a usable .jpg file right out of the camera. This means I have to edit each shot. Normally, I spend 20 minutes or so editing an image that I post on Flickr. Given the time constraints and the volume of images to edit, I edited most of these in batches, grouping similar pictures together and performing quick edits. Consequently, some of the shots may be less-than-stellar.

If you're interested in the photography here and would like EXIF data for the pictures, it can be found on the Flickr page for each image that is on Flickr (denoted by little watermarks that read “Bricker”). To access said data, click the picture, which will take you to Flickr. EXIF data can then be found by clicking the "More Properties" link in the lower right hand corner.

Finally, as promised in the Pre-Trip Report, I will be posting a wedding report as well. However, we do not yet have our wedding pictures, so that will have to wait until a later date. This report thus begins on the morning of the Honeymoon.

Alright, enough with the disclaimers, warnings, and other miscellaneous opening remarks. On with the show!

The Brickers’ Disneymoon Report

Waking up at 4 a.m. is never fun. But, when it's the day after your wedding and you're heading to Walt Disney World, you don't complain. Such were the circumstances when Sarah's parents came into our suite to wake us up the “morning” after our wedding. We were already thirty minutes late; apparently, the AM/PM mistake happens outside of the world of of Seinfeld.

So began the whirlwind process of getting ready for the day. If our lives were set to music, the same John Williams' score that plays during the beginning of Home Alone, where the family rushes for the airport, would be played here. Much like that film, we forgot a few things. We both knew this would occur, so we weren't too upset. Contrary to the film, we did remember each other, which I considered highly positive. We wouldn't be starting the marriage on the right foot if we forgot one another.

In addition to being late to heading to the airport, neither one of us—individuals who had gone to a Chicagoland school for 5 and 7 years, respectively—could give Sarah's father adequate directions to the airport. James and Andrew, although it's unlikely that you're reading this, sorry for calling you in the middle of the night. After driving 20 miles out of our way, we did arrive at the airport. At this point, you can probably queue the John Williams score again. We rushed to check our bags, at which point we realized we were fine time-wise. Then, as we walked up the concourse towards our gate, the most glorious moment of any trip to the Midway airport occurred: the Golden Arches came into view.

I believe I have stated this before, but I am a huge McDonald's fan. Even with all of my love for McDonald's, I only eat there a few times a year since I generally attempt to eat healthy. However, I always eat there the morning we leave for Walt Disney World. McDonald's breakfast is, unequivocally, the best way to start any trip to Walt Disney World. No matter what the circumstances, two Sausage McMuffins will prepare you for the day. This day acted no differently, as they again prepared me for the day.

I might as well get this out here now since it will be a theme of the trip report; for those who don't know, photography is a hobby of mine. I normally include my photography-related thoughts in my trip reports. Most of the time, I don't really know what I'm talking about, and really just ramble on about nothing, so skipping these segments is highly advised.

I always take an inordinate number of photos at the airport. This is because I really am not wild about photography, except for at Walt Disney World, so I don't practice much outside of the parks. As with anything, you get rusty if you don't practice. While this particular trip was definitely not about photography, I had two new lenses on the trip that I had used for a grand total of about two hours (almost all of which was use with one of the lenses), and I needed to get familiar with the lenses and get rid of the rust.

This is all much to Sarah's chagrin, and rightfully so. I can't imagine anyone being too happy with me taking pictures of them eating breakfast after only two hours of sleep (and that's being generous—it was probably more like an hour and a half). Sarah has a way of being gorgeous no matter the circumstances, but I still think pictures of her eating are off limits. Still, she's a good sport while I attempt to figure out what the heck I'm doing with the camera. Luckily or unfortunately, I had a lot of rust, as I hadn’t really used my camera much in the previous month.

After breakfast, it was basically time to board the plane. In all of the hustle and bustle of the wedding, we had forgotten to check in early. Well, at least really early. Normally, I refresh Southwest.com's check-in page until it will let us check-in on the day prior. This trip, that was not the case. Consequently, we were not seated together. Strolling down the aisle of the plane, I always chuckle to myself to see two people clearly together who are situated window and aisle, as if to ward off stray single riders (don't know a better term for this, so I'll use the Disney term), who approach. If you ask to sit next to them, begrudgingly, they allow it (as if they have a choice), but they always move. I guess Sarah and I do the same thing when we are the earlier ones on the plane, so it's not a knock against everyone else, but it really does seem silly.

This was not the case with the people between whom I chose to sit, unfortunately for them, as it would be. Luckily for them, Sarah was seated directly in front of me. You see, I have a tendency (to put it lightly) of falling asleep while traveling. When this started to occur on the flight, the man next to me took on pillow status in my unconscious. Yep, I'm “that guy.” I always have been that way. My grandpa used to say that there was no point in me getting a driver's license, because I always fell asleep in the car, so I'd have no idea where I was going, and would always be lost. I really don't have any explanation or excuse to offer; I would hate it if someone started leaning their head on me, but yet I do the very thing that would irritate me. From my perspective, the man would have had every right to give me a good shot to the head.

061310041.jpg

To save money, Sarah and I had chosen a flight that had a layover. This was also the same reason that we chose such an early flight. A direct flight that left 3 hours later would have been $70 more per person. Without hesitation, if we could do it over, we would buy that flight. Although Sarah and I are cheap, we do understand the value of time. When you're on your honeymoon and it's the day after your wedding, $140 for three hours is a bargain.

During the layover, we moved forward to the second row. There, we were directly behind some people from one of the Disney forums (hi, if you're reading this, hope the vacation was magical!) who recognized us when we got onto the plane. The husband and wife were taking their kids (they told us the ages, but I've forgotten since), probably ages 7 and 5, to Walt Disney World as a surprise. They kept giving the kids opportunities to guess where they were going. The daughter (the older child of the two, I think) thought they were going to Washington, DC to visit their grandma. I can only imagine how the kids reacted when they realized they were at Disney. Something I imagine the kids and the parents both will never forget. I can only hope that Sarah and I are able to do the same for our kids when we're older. What a great surprise.

Although I was running on only a few (more now, given my sleeping arrangements on the flight preceding this one) hours of sleep, I couldn't sleep during this flight. I was excited not only for our honeymoon, but for the little morsels I could hear from the folks in front of us. I really am a sucker for that type of thing. I really can't wait for Sarah and I to have kids so we can do this. At the same time, there is no way we could continue our “style” of touring with young kids, so we will embrace the next few childless years.

061310042.jpg

Arriving at the Orlando airport (I know it has a memorial name or a sponsor since it's abbreviation is MCO...and there is no “MC” in “Orlando airport”) is always fun. Sarah and I are always elated. Add tired this time to the mix. Tired and elated, we ran off the plane towards...somewhere. We are getting better with this, but we still seem to get lost at that airport every time we go there. Not this time. We boarded the fake monorail like clockwork, went to the CORRECT floor of the car rental/accommodations area, and got in line for Disney's Magical Express.

I have a love/hate relationship with DME. Okay, mostly love. Although I do hate it when they want to pick me up and make me leave WDW. I wanted to test out another new toy, my neutral density filter, so I stepped outside and took some pictures of the DME bus. Unlike the lenses, I had used this before, but just for a few shots. Apparently, I had a decent handle of it, because a shot I took using it won me a iPad. Still, I wanted to hone my skills with it. I can be lazy with contest pictures. Disney pictures require precision and perfection.

061310043.jpg

After a couple of shots, I came back inside to return to Sarah's side. She really deserves a lot of credit for allowing me to be a “kid in a candy store.” After we waited a bit, it was finally our turn to board the DME bus. If you're thinking this is a lot of nothing thus far, I promise, it'll start to get interesting, eh, maybe.
Okay, so nothing all that interesting happened on the DME bus, besides seeing new segments of the video that I absolutely love. Why this isn't on Mousebits, I don't know. Passing through the gates was, as always, magical, and I really don't even mind doing the loop around the resorts before getting to ours. It builds anticipation and this time, allowed us to see “home,” Saratoga Springs.

061310045.jpg

Then, we arrived there. Stepping out of the bus, I felt somewhat like royalty. As we strolled past freshly minted Beemers and Lexuses (Lexi?) I thought to myself, “how did they allow two poor college kids to stay here?” Well, college kids were we no more. Poor, yes, though. The lobby was as grand as the exterior, and instantly, I knew this was going to be one heckuva stay. Not to stick our noses up to the value resorts, where we usually stay, but this was completely different. It's not just as if the resort were in another league. It was playing a different sport.

061310427.jpg

We tried to sweet talk our way into the “best” view out of the crappy view rooms (as I've read some can see the BoardWalk...a little; or at least the pool), but the Cast Member assisting us was unable to do anything. We were rarely on the balcony anyway, so the parking lot view wasn't that bad (although I think we would've been a lot more had we had a better view). I think Online Check-In hurts you in this regard. Sarah and I never have had issues having room requests fulfilled with regular check-in; they never happen with online check-in.

After check-in, we stopped at the sundries store to get a snack, then headed to our room. I am in no way “on staff” for Disney, but I'll give the sales pitch anyway. If you're our age, or anywhere around our age and in similar circumstances, buy DVC. I did the whole cost/benefit objective analysis (assuming 2 kids, “second best” use of money at ROI of 7.5%, 32 years of use, etc.) and thought it was a good idea for us given that we'd be spending nearly the same amount to stay at the Poly for our time-frame. However, I didn't fully account for the feeling I'd have when stepping into the room, when getting up in the morning, or a whole host of other externalities. Additionally, I don't think I accounted for the feeling I THINK I would've have had waking up at the Poly thinking, “all we did was sleep here on this particular night, and gee wiz, we spent $300+ on it?!” Despite what Disney says, DVC does not pay for itself after one use (our break-even point for comparable on-property locations is around 15 years), but it is worth it. In an instant. We will definitely be adding on as soon as funds allow. Oh, and Bay Lake Tower, we'll see you in 2011!

062010267.jpg

062010268.jpg

Glad I got that little DVC advertisement out of the way (hey, someone has to fund this thing—am I wrong?). Unlike me, Sarah is not so amenable to falling asleep on the shoulder of a strange man (thankfully). She implored me to take a nap, but I could not. I slipped out of bed and wandered the room before waking her up. We agreed to thirty more minutes of nap time, after which we'd head to the Studios. We also decided that getting me out of the room was the only way to facilitate that nap, so I headed out with the camera and tripod to play.

061310047.jpg

Last edited:

LeafsFanNL

BTW the trip report was fantastic, you really did the parks this trip. Congrats on the wedding, and travel as much as you can before the kids come along.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
I know everyone's already said it, but thanks for the awesome report. I don't think I'd have the patience to write for a bunch of people with no life who live vicariously through others. :lookaroun (Just kidding, fellow readers- and I was including myself in that as well:D)

I had a fantastic time reading it. You guys make a gorgeous couple and I wish you all the best!

Thanks - the report was a lot of work, but it was worth it!

Hi Tom, first of all congratulations on your wedding and I hope your marriage is going the " Happily ever after" style. I just spent 4 days reading your report (Don't tell my boss cause reading WDW trip reports is definitely not part of my daily duties). There's no other way to call it but AWESOME! I haven't been in WDW since I was 12 (I'm now 26) so you can Imagine how nostalgic it made me. It felt like being there sharing all those moments with you guys. :sohappy:

About your pictures I have to say I'm really impressed. I always have a WDW pic as my desktop picture and I hope you don't mind if I grab a couple, those are the kind of pictures that make me excited and eager to go back. I'm planning a trip with my sister and my mom, we're all WDW geeks and believe it or not, there's no other place in the world we'd rather go on vacation. We're from Colombia so we don't get the opportunity to go a lot. But next year I'll definitely go. 14 years is way too long without a dose of WDW.

I hope you had fun in DL and for sure Christmas will be a blast also. Also please tell Sarah it makes me mad to see how pretty she looks in those dresses!

I wish you guys the best and I can't wait to see more of your pictures and read more of your trip reports (as long as my boss doesn't find out) :wave:

Glad you enjoyed the report; you're more than welcome to use my images to give you that 'Disney fix'. There are large versions on the images' respective Flickr pages. Hope you enjoy that trip next year!!!

Hahha that time lapse is amazing, you guys do the cutest things.

Do we get to see a wedding photo or two? ;)

Funny that this topic would re-surface yesterday, as our wedding photos arrived on an external hard-drive from our wedding photographer. I'm going to upload some shortly and get them posted here!

The food at Kona is wonderful, but we have eaten there a couple of times when the crowd is waiting in the lobby to go to the luau show. The sea of humanity in the lobby makes Kona feel like a mall food court to me. It lowers the Kona in our minds a little. Mind you we are going for a late breakfast on Dec 9, (Tonga toast anyone??)

BTW the trip report was fantastic, you really did the parks this trip. Congrats on the wedding, and travel as much as you can before the kids come along.

The night we were there, Kona was pretty "tranquil" especially given that it was the summer. Maybe we just got lucky? I'm not sure. We have it booked for breakfast and dinner our next trip; we'll probably just do breakfast.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
I know it's been a while, but Sarah and I just got digital copies of our wedding photos, so I can finally post those images. Unfortunately, unless Sarah can be convinced otherwise, there won't be a report to go along with the photos. We've both been pretty busy between work and other aspects of life, and neither of us have had the time to write one up.

That said, our Disneyland trip report is coming soon. I was originally hoping to get it posted tomorrow; I don't know if that will still be possible, but it should be posted within the next few days. I know it's been a couple months, but I was pretty burnt out after writing this incredibly long report, so I didn't really feel up to writing it right away. In the past couple of weeks, I have found my motivation again, and have gone to town on editing the images. If I get ambitious tonight, it could be posted by tomorrow. We shall see, I suppose.

In other news, we are finally settled into our new apartment and things are generally going well. I found out that I passed the Bar Exam in early October, and was sworn in as a licensed attorney last Friday (another attorney?! I know... :p). Things have been going well for both of us at work, but as always, we're ready for and anxiously awaiting our next vacation to WDW! Anyway, enough with the chatter, here are some photos:

eTomSarahW150241-09.jpg

eTomSarahW150458.jpg

eTomSarahW150654.jpg

eTomSarahW150551-3.jpg

aTomSarahW150728.jpg

eTomSarahW152706.jpg

eTomSarahW153010.jpg

eTomSarahW154754.jpg

eTomSarahW155816.jpg

I love reading your threads here.
You guys just look so happy on your wedding day, perfect couple!!!!!! Your wife looks like a Princess for sure.
Congrats to both of you and much love and happiness always for you both.
Thanks for sharing so much with all us here.
Oh Congrats on passing your big exam too, I knew you would do it!!!!!:sohappy:

:wave:

sweetpee_1993

Oh Wow! Tom, you and Sarah are breathtaking together! I can't think of a better word to describe it. Fantastic pictures. I think my faves were the ones that are looking down at you in that cirular area. Is that maybe an entry area for the chapel? The one picture that shows the metal sculptured pieces that dangle from above, the water rippling in the font in front of y'all (ooooh at the awesomeness that the water drips from the sculpture into the font!), the gorgeous architecture of the structure (staircase), the incredible craftmanship & details, your bridal party not at all lost in this composition, and you two showcased in the center...that one killed me. I stared at it forever. So much to take in and appreciate. A crumby picture could never have captured all those elements so perfectly. Good job with the photographer choice! Which totally leads me to say how freakin' awesome the chapel you two chose is. I can see why you chose it. It's totally incredible. I'm such a huge fan of modern and contemporary architecture. Prairie and craftsman totally capture my heart, too. That chapel is amazing. Do you know who designed it?

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your wedding photos with us. I really enjoyed them.

Not that I'm sure you haven't already, but tell Sarah she rocked that gown! Gorgeous thru-&-thru. I swear, you two could be the cover of a magazine. Too perfect!
:wave:

DiPSU224

Yay! Nothing I love more than wedding pictures! I do feel somewhat stalker-ish though being so excited to see your wedding pictures and I don't know you...:lookaroun:lol:

It looked like a beautiful wedding! Sarah looked stunning in her dress...classy and elegant. I am in love with her bouquet!

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your wedding photos with us as well as your amazing Disney photography. Congrats on passing your boards and best wishes!

KeeKee

Fantastic wedding photos! This whole thread makes me feel like I was there on your honeymoon...oh, wait...I was there... :)

Looks like you have your hard drive back, too. Keep it handy!

Nemo14

Beautiful pictures! Congratulations on your wedding, your passing the bar, your new apartment, and your new life together. You two are amazing!

diddy_mouse

Wedding pictures = Simply stunning

No better way to see the joy of a wedding day than through pictures like those. Many congrats and best wishes to you both!

deltableh

... and now I feel insecure about the wedding shots I just took, haha.

Still owe you and Sarah that drink, Tom, if you want to collect in December. I think I saw on the Photog trip or your Twitter that we overlap a touch.

But for now, to make myself even colder (45 degrees outside, 65 here in my room, brr!) I will watch the time lapse of The Kitchen Sink. Huzzah!

Sweet Melissa

Your wedding photos are beautiful. I can see why you picked your photographer; his style is very complimentary to your own. Congratulations on your marriage, passing the bar and all the other happy life experiences you're enjoying and the ones that await you. I look forward to that Disneyland report! I've always considered Disneyland my "home" park and looking at it through your lens should be great fun.

MillerPoppins

You two are such a beautiful couple! Your wedding pictures, just like many of your others, are gorgeous! Looks like you had a great wedding! Was wishing while I was down in WDW last week that I knew how to take some photos like you two but settled for the bf controlling my kodak during the trip. Can't wait to read the Disneyland report! Thanks for sharing your wedding with us!

WDWFigment

Original Poster
I love reading your threads here.
You guys just look so happy on your wedding day, perfect couple!!!!!! Your wife looks like a Princess for sure.
Congrats to both of you and much love and happiness always for you both.
Thanks for sharing so much with all us here.
Oh Congrats on passing your big exam too, I knew you would do it!!!!!

Those were some beautiful pictures of the wedding! Thank you for sharing them with us!!

Thank you both!

Oh Wow! Tom, you and Sarah are breathtaking together! I can't think of a better word to describe it. Fantastic pictures. I think my faves were the ones that are looking down at you in that cirular area. Is that maybe an entry area for the chapel? The one picture that shows the metal sculptured pieces that dangle from above, the water rippling in the font in front of y'all (ooooh at the awesomeness that the water drips from the sculpture into the font!), the gorgeous architecture of the structure (staircase), the incredible craftmanship & details, your bridal party not at all lost in this composition, and you two showcased in the center...that one killed me. I stared at it forever. So much to take in and appreciate. A crumby picture could never have captured all those elements so perfectly. Good job with the photographer choice! Which totally leads me to say how freakin' awesome the chapel you two chose is. I can see why you chose it. It's totally incredible. I'm such a huge fan of modern and contemporary architecture. Prairie and craftsman totally capture my heart, too. That chapel is amazing. Do you know who designed it?

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your wedding photos with us. I really enjoyed them.

Not that I'm sure you haven't already, but tell Sarah she rocked that gown! Gorgeous thru-&-thru. I swear, you two could be the cover of a magazine. Too perfect!

You can find information about the Chapel here: http://www.valpo.edu/chapel/ I really don’t know anything about it, except that it looks awesome! The staircase leads downstairs and upstairs from the main Chapel to a secondary chapel and the upper level, respectively.

People camp out overnight in advance to secure the Chapel for the popular month. Luckily, I had done work for the Pastor while I worked in IT at the University, so we didn’t have to do that. It’s an incredibly popular venue among students and alumni.

Yay! Nothing I love more than wedding pictures! I do feel somewhat stalker-ish though being so excited to see your wedding pictures and I don't know you...

It looked like a beautiful wedding! Sarah looked stunning in her dress...classy and elegant. I am in love with her bouquet!

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your wedding photos with us as well as your amazing Disney photography. Congrats on passing your boards and best wishes!

Thanks–glad you enjoyed! Not stalker-ish at all!

Fantastic wedding photos! This whole thread makes me feel like I was there on your honeymoon...oh, wait...I was there...

Looks like you have your hard drive back, too. Keep it handy!

Nice to see you on our honeymoon, too!

Beautiful pictures! Congratulations on your wedding, your passing the bar, your new apartment, and your new life together. You two are amazing!

Wedding pictures = Simply stunning

No better way to see the joy of a wedding day than through pictures like those. Many congrats and best wishes to you both!

Thank you both!

... and now I feel insecure about the wedding shots I just took, haha.

Still owe you and Sarah that drink, Tom, if you want to collect in December. I think I saw on the Photog trip or your Twitter that we overlap a touch.

But for now, to make myself even colder (45 degrees outside, 65 here in my room, brr!) I will watch the time lapse of The Kitchen Sink. Huzzah!

I’m sure the photos you took were great!

We’re going to be down in December with my parents (it’s our wedding gift from them), so probably won’t be able to meet up then. We are getting there a day earlier than them, but I have to do some stuff for TouringPlans.

The Kitchen Sink video is fun. I wish I would’ve done it differently, but there’s always next time. I guess it gives the two of us a reason to order another Kitchen Sink!

Your wedding photos are beautiful. I can see why you picked your photographer; his style is very complimentary to your own. Congratulations on your marriage, passing the bar and all the other happy life experiences you're enjoying and the ones that await you. I look forward to that Disneyland report! I've always considered Disneyland my "home" park and looking at it through your lens should be great fun.

This.

Just stunning! Thank you for sharing with us, Tom and Sarah!

Beautiful pictures Tom and Sarah! Thank you so much for sharing them with us!

You two are such a beautiful couple! Your wedding pictures, just like many of your others, are gorgeous! Looks like you had a great wedding! Was wishing while I was down in WDW last week that I knew how to take some photos like you two but settled for the bf controlling my kodak during the trip. Can't wait to read the Disneyland report! Thanks for sharing your wedding with us!

Thank you all!

The morning you and your wife we in the normal line for TSM. me and my father were a little farther behind you in line..

The whole time I'm thinking.. Where have I seen those two before???

It's also pretty funny paralleling our trips.. The day that it poured relentlessly you were at Epcot.. I was on the boat from DHS making its way to Epcot..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom