Disneylands future in the next five years

phillip sugarman

Original Poster
What do you think will happen in the next 5 years at the Disneyland Resort? There are rumors that in the next five years, Tomorrowland will be replaced by Star Wars Land and the back portion of Hollywood Land will be replaced by Monstropolis. There are also rumors that the Thunder Ranch will be replaced by Oz Land. For the 60 year anniversary there is rumors that they are getting a new parade, firework show, renovated World of Color, and updated dark rides. What do you think will come to the Disneyland Resort in the next 5 years?

GiveMeTheMusic

I know. It's not happening.

The only things on the docket right now are the 60th celebration (new light parade, fireworks, dark ride refresh, WOC update), Star Wars in Tomorrowland and Monstropolis in DCA. Whether the last two get done in the next five years is up for debate.

croboy82

I remember reading about OZ land a year or two ago but since the movie wasn't a HUGE hit I have high doubts it will be made.

What do I think will happen? Well I'm hoping for a great Star Wars land but I'm not sure it will happen in the next 5 years, although it would be smart.

Also a 3rd Gate will probably happen but more in 10 years or so I guess.

croboy82

I think it will be almost impossible for them not to do something Star Wars realted with 6 movies alone coming up...

I'm not against Monstropolis but I too think the location is bad.

Californian Elitist

I think it will be almost impossible for them not to do something Star Wars realted with 6 movies alone coming up...

I'm not against Monstropolis but I too think the location is bad.

I think if Disney planned on creating Monstropolis for its own land in order to have the Mike and Sulley to the Rescue dark ride finally have a proper location, I'd be more open to the idea. I hate Monsters' inappropriate placement. On the other hand, if Disney is planning on adding Monstropolis to Hollywood Land, then I'll be very much against the idea.

phillip sugarman

Original Poster
I think they should save monstropolis for a third park and put something that fits in Hollywood land like a captain America ride and I also think we will see a Frozen ride in the next five years probably where the motor boat area is.

Travel Junkie

The 60th anniversary stuff such as new parade, fireworks, dark ride upgrades and WOC redo seem to be a go according to just about everyone. The only other possibilities I see happening in the next 5 years are Monstropolis, Star Wars and them doing something will Marvel. The wildcard is Frozen. My gut feeling is that Monstropolis ends up getting cut. Star Wars is the priority with relocating the Marvel characters to make room for Star Wars being second. It will be hard for them to fund all 3 projects in such a short time frame and 5 years from now how relevant is Monsters? I just don’t see Monstropolis happening.

Content wise it is a perfect time for a 3rd park. There are lots of great IP’s in the fold that work perfectly in a 3rd gate. However logistically DLR is not ready to construct a 3rd gate. The chess pieces are beginning to move but we are at least a decade away from a 3rd park opening. It’s a shame because Star Wars and Marvel do not naturally fit in either of the 2 existing parks, but by the time Anaheim is ready for a 3rd gate, they will have already been introduced into the other 2 parks. Then the decision becomes do you expand them into a 3rd park or go in a different direction. Who knows, by then acquisition happy Disney will own everything by then. :)

JediMasterMatt

60th, Star Wars (may not be done in 5 years but well underway), and likely Monsteropolis are all on queued up.

The real question is whether DisneyParks keeps the finanical hemorrhaging taking place at WDW for MM+ as the limiting factor for Anaheim's growth.

My heart and head says that they will loose the pursestrings for DLR as they have shown fiscal responsibility as well as the need to keep the locals happy.

My gut says that DisneyParks will still hold TDO's mistakes against TDA and the budgets for the above will be impacted. They will likely still happen; but, with less money.

I'm in the camp that the 3rd gate is inevitable. It will be the only solution for the real issues facing DLR, which is overcrowding Disneyland itself. As great as DCA has become, people still hop over to DL at will. Only the 3rd gate has the potential to hold a guest captive and not spin the turnstile at DL each day since it would require more effort to park hop.

JamieD

I'm all for another park but the inevitable location of across and down Harbor looses some Disney luster with me.

At any rate, couldn't the overcrowding of DL be cured by raising the price in some way or another? Perhaps annual passes, if that's the real culprit? I'm not for higher ticket prices, don't get me wrong, but isn't that a simple supply and demand?

Californian Elitist

I'm all for another park but the inevitable location of across and down Harbor looses some Disney luster with me.

At any rate, couldn't the overcrowding of DL be cured by raising the price in some way or another? Perhaps annual passes, if that's the real culprit? I'm not for higher ticket prices, don't get me wrong, but isn't that a simple supply and demand?

Raising prices has not solved anything. People still come.

croboy82

As far as I've read DCA 2.0 has increased attendance sooo much, so no, no one "cares" about the prices yet :D

Right, Frozen. I'm sure something will come. I'm scared they might rush things (like WDW) but hopefully they'll take some time. And I wouldn't even know where to put it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom